Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing FSX/Acceleration on Windows 7 64-bit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Abilene, Texas USA
    Posts
    66

    Default Installing FSX/Acceleration on Windows 7 64-bit

    Forgive me for the questions I am about to ask because I am an idiot and I am confused from reading the forums about installing FSX/Acceleration, namely:

    http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=29041

    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=199318

    Is it better to install FSX/Acceleration to the default folder the installer loads (creates) i.e. Microsoft Games ?

    Or is it better to install FSX/Acceleration to a new folder by itself on C: ?

    Or is it better to create a separate partition and drive exclusively for FSX/Acceleration, and install my other games and apps (Crysis, Need for Speed Microsoft Office etc) on a separate partition? Will this option even work, if so what are the benefits and what is the ideal ratio of free disk space to used disk space on this separate drive.

    Also what is the correct way to install FSX, then FSX Acceleration with regards to running default flight, closing FSX and re-booting PC.

    My Specs:
    AMD Phenom II 940 (3.0GHz, no overclock)
    Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard
    XP Home Edition SP3 32Bit (to install Windows 7 64-bit for dual boot system)
    2 x 2GB 800MHz DDR2 installed
    Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB GPU
    600GB Western Digital HD (100GB on the XP partition, 500GB Free for the upcoming Windows 7, FSX Acceleration Partition.)
    I used EASEUS Partition Master 4.0 to make my XP partition 100GB and created a 500GB partition for Windows 7 64-bit, FSX/Acceleration, Crysis and Need for Speed. I am going to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the 500GB partition and I am wondering how to go about this to most effectively manage disk space to achieve maximum fsx performance.

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt7777 View Post
    Is it better to install FSX/Acceleration to the default folder the installer loads (creates) i.e. Microsoft Games ?

    Or is it better to install FSX/Acceleration to a new folder by itself on C: ?

    Or is it better to create a separate partition and drive exclusively for FSX/Acceleration, and install my other games and apps (Crysis, Need for Speed Microsoft Office etc) on a separate partition? Will this option even work, if so what are the benefits and what is the ideal ratio of free disk space to used disk space on this separate drive.
    I think it is better to install FSX to the default location unless you have two SATA drives, then it is better to install it on the other drive for better performance so the main drive runs Windows and the second drive runs FSX...Other then that you won't get any boost in perfomance by partitioning Windows7 over one drive as Windows 7 creates a Windows Management partition at the top of your drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by matt7777 View Post
    Also what is the correct way to install FSX, then FSX Acceleration with regards to running default flight, closing FSX and re-booting PC.
    I would install FSX, run it and register it to make sure everything works great then install Accelerator after and run it....Then defrag after everything is install using either Smart Defrag or Ultimate Defrag.

    Quote Originally Posted by matt7777 View Post
    I used EASEUS Partition Master 4.0 to make my XP partition 100GB and created a 500GB partition for Windows 7 64-bit, FSX/Acceleration, Crysis and Need for Speed. I am going to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the 500GB partition and I am wondering how to go about this to most effectively manage disk space to achieve maximum fsx performance.
    If you do a clean install of Windows 7 it will setup your system similar to what you had with XP using EASEUS Partition Master. Windows 7 clean install creates a 150mb partition at the top of your drive and calls in Windows Management and hides it.

    The remainder of the drive becomes C: where it installs the Operating System. If you want to create anymore partitions that is up to you but it won't increase performance for you.

    For best drive performance install 2 SATA 32MB cache drives on your system and install Windows7 on your main drive and all your games on the second drive. That way you have two heads running simultaneously eliminating the bottleneck in your system
    Last edited by ytzpilot; 09-29-2009 at 03:42 PM.

    Matthew Kane - Beechcraft Starship 3D Model Designer
    To dream of flying, you are free. To become a pilot, you are a caged bird…

  3. Default

    Sounds like you are going to Windows 7 so I would put the trial (RC version) on your computer now. Full version may be available now in some countries.

    Microsoft splits FSX with another folder that contains your saved flights etc
    C:\Users\Home\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

    The only problem about partitioning and using FSX on the partition is that it needs to be made big enough to allow for all the add-ons as FSX will grow mainly with the scenery and aircraft.

    I have a second hard drive that I could put it on but have kept it to C:/ FSX as I find it much easier to locate. I use Windows 7 RC and other programs and FSX on this 300 GB drive but use my second drive ITB as a storage drive and if one wants do a copy of FSX and keep it on the second drive. One good thing about keeping FSX all on the new bigger hard drive is one does not have to start from beginning I hope, when one wipes the C drive.

    If you move your FSX folder keep this link below in mind for repairing damaged registry. I have not used it on FSX but for creating a dummy FS9 for MAIW Military Air like WOA that you should look into to enhance your airports and air traffic and its free later. One may need it when they do put Windows 7 on and need to repair registry where you keep your backup FSX. Do not know about registration code?
    http://www.flight1software.com/files...try_Repair.exe
    http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

    Just a small problem you may encounter when installing scenery on the Windows 7 64bits with FSX and acceleration
    If one has problems adding add-on scenery especially with Windows 7 - 64 bits and Acceleration

    Go here
    http://es.forum.ivao.aero/index.php?...topic=104845.0
    download video www.burnbabyburn-clan.de/upload/FSX.wmv 1.885 MB showing one how.
    Last edited by maxc; 09-29-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Windows 64
    By madair01 in forum PC Software Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 03:38 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  4. Installing Acceleration Scenery Only?
    By familton in forum FSX
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 10:01 PM
  5. Installing FSX in Windows Vista
    By CaptainTower in forum FSX
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •