Thread: How to take screen shots (FSX)?

Default How to take screen shots (FSX)?

I have been out of the hobby for two years and just recently came back, now with FSX instead of FS9. I can't remember how to take screenshots and save as JPG. I pressed PrtScn and got something saved but don't know how to save as JPG (or any usable format I can convert from).

I'm sure it's a simple answer and will probably slap my forehead when I see it. Any pointers appreciated.
    Last edited by alexf; 09-28-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Alex

Hello,Alex....
    In FSX,just hit the "V" key and the screenshot will be saved to a folder in your Pictures folder under "Flight Simulator X Files"....They may save as "jpeg"...If not,just open "Paint" and save as jpeg...HTH...And welcome to FSX....Lou

Recently I just started changing the file extension from .bmp to .jpg. Works every time!!! Is there a drawback/error to that? I use to open up my image editor and export as .jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by BMG50 View Post
    Hello,Alex....
    In FSX,just hit the "V" key and the screenshot will be saved to a folder in your Pictures folder under "Flight Simulator X Files"....They may save as "jpeg"...If not,just open "Paint" and save as jpeg...HTH...And welcome to FSX....Lou
    Worked. They save as BMP. Thanks!
    Alex

If BMP screenshots look fine for you that's great, but just for the record JPEG's and GIF's could give better definition, especially if you intend drawing lines and arrows etc on the pic.
    Best of all is PNG but it eats up processing power and is only needed if you want absolute pin-sharp definition.
    Incidentally when taking screenshots from any games I hit the Printscreen key and paste into Paint or Irfanview etc, where I can re-size it, lighten or darken it etc, then save it from there into my Pictures folder, you get a list of options to save it as BMP/JPEG/GIF/PNG etc.

PS i almost forgot- After saving the pic into your Pictures folder, you then have to upload it to an image-hoster like Photobucket (it's free) in order to get a url link to paste into forums.
    Oh, and when your pic's in Photobucket, leave it there forever, don't delete it or you'll break its link to every forum where you've posted it, causing it to vanish..
    (I've got about 5000 pics in Pbucket, many have been there for years building up like bat droppings in a cave..)
    Last edited by ScatterbrainKid; 09-29-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks for the info, but I'm a photographer so I know all this. I also don't need Photobucket (though the info might be good for someone else). I have my own photo gallery and post photos daily to several photo sites plus to my blog. I was planning to convert to JPG or PNG anyway.

I don't have the walking camera software I remember from my FS9 days anymore so anything I might post will be from standard FSX angles for the time being.
    Alex