Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX won't load

Default FSX won't load

When I try to load FSX on my machine it stops while loading the scenery. I let it sit for a half hour without any progress. Is this normal? 30 minutes and there's no progress.

You might want to try and do a repair. I think your installation got corrupted or something - that is Way to long to load scenery, even if using Tileproxy.

Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Quadro 4000

3. Default

I would suggest before attempting a repair. To rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.bak and attempt to load again. This forces fsx to rebuild your fsx.cfg. Most hangs are corrected by this. The .bak is your original cfg file and will be there for you to make changes to the rebuilt one.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmm73 View Post
    I would suggest before attempting a repair. To rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.bak and attempt to load again. This forces fsx to rebuild your fsx.cfg. Most hangs are corrected by this. The .bak is your original cfg file and will be there for you to make changes to the rebuilt one.
    I tried to look for the file in your post, couldn't find it. Looked in the FSX Pgm folder and did a search. Nothing showed up. I deleated the Pgm file from Windows Games and erased it from the recycle bin. Still won't load. It gets to the scenery files then stops. The HD activity light stops. Any suggestions?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jonpk View Post
    I tried to look for the file in your post, couldn't find it. Looked in the FSX Pgm folder and did a search. Nothing showed up. I deleated the Pgm file from Windows Games and erased it from the recycle bin. Still won't load. It gets to the scenery files then stops. The HD activity light stops. Any suggestions?

Depending on what operating system you have (i.e. XP or Vista) it is located in different locations.

This link will help you out:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/ya...1180547542/0#0

I have a question as to what "Pgm file" you deleted from Windows game folder. If it was the fsx.exe, you will have to reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmm73 View Post
    Depending on what operating system you have (i.e. XP or Vista) it is located in different locations.

This link will help you out:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/ya...1180547542/0#0

I have a question as to what "Pgm file" you deleted from Windows game folder. If it was the fsx.exe, you will have to reinstall.
    I'm running Vista, AMD Phenom IIx4, EVGA Nvidia 260 superclocked 216 core, 3gb DDR3 ram. I have tried letting the auto install choose the directory to place FSX in, I have created a new FSX directory and manually tried to install the pgm there. Each time before trying to install, deleting the original FSX directory that was created either by FSX or by me. In each instance, install progressed to a point in the scenery install then stopped. I used the instructions for locating the FSX.exe file and since I had removed the program, FSX, to the recycle bin and deleted it, there was no FSX.exe file to delete, modify or do anything with. There were not any lagacy FSX files on my machine as close as I could determine after each removal of the program.

7. Default

So for your original post when you said "load", you meant "install". So you dont have a good installation of FSX on your system. "Load" is a common term for running the program after it has been installed. So we have been trying to diagnose a system that already has FSX installed.

From what I understand now, you have been trying to install FSX and it keeps hanging at the scenery installs. I have never heard of this issue before. You may try to uninstall through the Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs. Once unistall is complete, delete the FSX file folder from "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/FSX" and the hidden files and folders in the "C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX".

Once that is done attempt another installation.

Also, be sure to use a good registry cleaner such as Registry Mechanic after the uninstall.
    Bruce
    I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

When I "install" FSX, or actually initiate the install, it hangs at any arbitrary point in the scenery area of the files. After the failed install, I've gone into control panel to the add/remove program and FSX is not listed as an installed program to remove. I'm assuming since it had not been completely installed it would not appear there. Normally when FSX installs, it seems to me until the complete program is downloaded from disc to an onboard HD temp file, the program is not committed to its actual disc space until it has been completely decompressed off the DVD's on to the HD. So, in order to remove the failed install, I go to the C: drive in Computer and find the FSX folder under the Microsoft Games folder and delete the entire FSX folder to the recycle bin then delete from there. From what I can see there are no legacy files left on the HD after I perform those actions.

And, perhaps I didn't explain clearly but there wasn't a FSX file in the hidden files even after a failed install attempt before I removed the folder from the C: drive sending it to the recycle bin.
    Last edited by jonpk; 08-02-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Default Registry Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by abrussell View Post
    Also, be sure to use a good registry cleaner such as Registry Mechanic after the uninstall.
    Bruce
    Why should I use a registry cleaner when after a deletion of the FSX folder there are no more FSX files left? Unless FSX installs some files in other folders there sre no files to remove.