Thread: Video Card recommendations for FSX

Question Video Card recommendations for FSX

The Video card that came with my computer is pretty much dead. What kind of card do you guys recommend for increased performance in FSX without costing an arm and a leg? Thanks a bunch!

Rob

Well there are many opinions as to the best video card, so here is mine: First of all I am assuming you have a PCIExpress x16 slot available on your computer. With that assumtion you can go out an get the most expensive card and of couse it will more than likely do well. However, FSX is mainly CPU bound so the graphics card is not really going to improve Frame rates that much (unless what you had was extrememly old) but it will improve texture clarity, blurries, and improve performance with higher water settings/lighting settings (from what I know). With all that being said I would recommend a 9800GT or GTX. This card will provide good performance at a decent price. While you can get a better card the $$ you will be paying compared to the performance benefits is almost like throwing away your money. The only exception to this is if you are playing other games besides FSX then the video card can really have an affect on things, but seeing that this is a FSX forum I am assuming that that is your main need for a graphics card. Again this is my opinion and I am sure there are different ones out there.
    Last edited by sirbruchie; 07-17-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbruchie View Post
    Well there are many opinions as to the best video card, so here is mine: First of all I am assuming you have a PCIExpress x16 slot available on your computer. With that assumtion you can go out an get the most expensive card and of couse it will more than likely do well. However, FSX is mainly CPU bound so the graphics card is not really going to improve Frame rates that much (unless what you had was extrememly old) but it will improve texture clarity, blurries, and improve performance with higher water settings/lighting settings (from what I know). With all that being said I would recommend a 9800GT or GTX. This card will provide good performance at a decent price. While you can get a better card the $$ you will be paying compared to the performance benefits is almost like throwing away your money. The only exception to this is if you are laying other games besides FSX then the video card can really have an affect on things, but seeing that this is a FSX forum I am assuming that is your main need for a graphics card. Again this is my opinion and I am sure there are different ones out there.
    Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah I only play FSX. I have about a three year old HP Pavillion running Windows XP and the HP Media Center with 2gb of Ram. I know I also need to upgrade my ram which is going to be my next upgrade.

The 9800GTX or the GTS250 (basically a newer, updated model of the 9800GTX) would be an excellent choice for FSX use. Just be sure your power supply can handle it, though. A quick check on the EVGA website shows these models require at least a 450 watt power supply. These cards also have a separate 6-pin power connector and for best performance it is recommended you use that connector. That means your power supply needs to have either a lead with the required 6-pin plug or it needs to have an available 4-pin molex connector so you can use the 6-pin to 4-pin molex adaptor provided with most video cards.

And a video card that is not from Intel.

I second the 9800GT. I had no problems with mine and just replaced it with a 260GTX. Also relatively low priced. Though with the 260, check you have room as it's something like 10 1/2" long.

And yes, at LEAST a 500 watt PSU.
    Den.