Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Ifr landings

  1. #1

    Default Ifr landings

    Right im a bit of a newbie and cant land 747's to save my life, How do you set it up so you can line up with the runway you need. I cant even seem to get it right using the approach hold switch.

    Any guides or help you might give would be a great help to me as i want to land properly at some point and not where i shouldnt be.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    England. Near the railway station.
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    There are excellent lessons and tutorials in the FS Learning Centre; I'd recommend you study and fly them. They are written by very highly respected real world flight instructors and probably represent many hundred of dollars worth of value. Then once you have done the lessons: practice, practice, practice. There is simply no substitute or short cut either in RW aviation or FS. The lessons will be in a Cessna 172. Although the aeroplane may be "simple"; that doesn't make it easy: Master it before you progress to more complex aircraft, and you'll find your sim experience all the better for it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Matatiele Kwazulu/Natal South Africa
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Tim is right on the money, I also started out just climbing into a plane and going flying and more often then not ended up in a messy heap at the end of some runway. Someone told me to stop being a twit and read the manuel. Its all there, and the only prang Ive had off late was the result of showing off (Thindog gets wet: Screenshots forum). Do yourself a favour take an hour or so a day for a week and get to know your instruments and their functions. I promise you'll never look back.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Tim certainly has it right. Real world flying is sufficiently complex and unintuitive that it takes a minimum of 40 hours of flying under control of an instructor (in the U.S.) to get a Private License (usually takes longer). FS mimics the real world sufficiently well that it usually takes instruction and lots of practice prior to even minimally mastering flight in FS aircraft -- there really aren't any shortcuts, any more than there are in the real world, if you aim to really properly control your aircraft.

    So if you think of FS as a mere game, and treat it accordingly, you may never gain much proficiency, while treating it as seriously as you would real world flight can eventually leave you rather capable. It's your choice how you approach it.

    Larry N.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    The flight training center, Ca
    Posts
    4,102
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skytrain90 View Post
    actually its 20 with an instructor and 10 solo but total 40
    yes 20+10=30 but thats the faa for you
    yeah, you know what he meant. If you wanna play it that way, then I'll point out that under part 141 you can get your license in 35 hours.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    England. Near the railway station.
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Here the minimum requirement is 45, and it took me 66. At my local FBO, we had a student pass his GFT yesterday after 200 hours! (that's over 21,000 (=$34,000 US) in flying lessons! )
    Last edited by Tim_A; 05-31-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: currency conversion correction

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skytrain90 View Post
    actually its 20 with an instructor and 10 solo but total 40
    yes 20+10=30 but thats the faa for you
    I purposely didn't say WITH an instructor, but rather "under control of an instructor." All of your solo time prior to getting a license is, one way or another, at the discretion of, and must be approved by, your instructor.

    Larry N.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muppet1 View Post
    Right im a bit of a newbie and cant land 747's to save my life, How do you set it up so you can line up with the runway you need. I cant even seem to get it right using the approach hold switch.

    Any guides or help you might give would be a great help to me as i want to land properly at some point and not where i shouldnt be.

    Thanks.
    Muppet,
    Give us a rundown of how you set up your approach.
    The 747 is a different bird when it comes to flying and I've struggled with it for a while now myself.

  9. #9

    Default

    well i follow atc instructions untill they say expect vectors onto runway blah blah and then that is when it normally go's wrong.
    But i did put in the ILS freq into nav1 and i knew the ILS heading as well and near got it right yesterday.
    Guess its like you all said practice makes perfect.

    When you land a 747 using all of the above and the approach button what other buttons are ment to be lit as i press it and all the others go out which doesnt seem right.

    Anyway off to practice some more between cairns and kingford smith today and will see it i can land this sucker on the runway today.

    Thanks for all your help guys.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muppet1 View Post
    well i follow atc instructions untill they say expect vectors onto runway blah blah and then that is when it normally go's wrong.
    But i did put in the ILS freq into nav1 and i knew the ILS heading as well and near got it right yesterday.
    Guess its like you all said practice makes perfect.

    When you land a 747 using all of the above and the approach button what other buttons are ment to be lit as i press it and all the others go out which doesnt seem right.

    Anyway off to practice some more between cairns and kingford smith today and will see it i can land this sucker on the runway today.
    Thanks for all your help guys.
    Just out of curiosity, where does your aircraft end up? Are you off to one side? Is the aircraft turning into the proper runway heading? Are you descending too fast? What happens that screws the landing up?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 03:10 AM
  2. Landings, oh landings!
    By Alexander2012 in forum FSX
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
  3. ILS landings
    By Ace_437 in forum FSX
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
  4. FPS goes way down after landings
    By scammy in forum FS2004
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 01:12 PM
  5. Landings, landings and more landings!
    By lewis in forum MSFS Screen Shot Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •