Thread: Full Screen vs Window

1. Default Full Screen vs Window

Hi All,

I recently read that you can run FSX in either full screen mode or window mode. Since I did not know this, my question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of each mode? Also, how do you switch between them? Thank you for the opportunity to post basic questions without embarassment!

John

i believe its Alt + Enter to switch between modes

as for advantages/disadvantages, i find that my frame rates are higher in full screen and you don't see the annoying window bar on top and your taskbar/startmenu

personally, i find this makes it easier to take screenshots because no editing to crop pics is needed

however, in full-screen, some addon programs can't work as the interface is a window and you must minimize FS to get to them. also, i find that flights take longer to end and return to the startup screen when in full-screen

BTW: Welcome to the Forums
    FSX Acceleration Windows 7 64-Bit, MSI B85M-43, Intel Core i5-4690K, 16GB DDR-1600 RAM, EVGA GTX760 ACX, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 1TB HDD

3. Default

I too have found that the framerates go WAY DOWN when in window mode. Possibly because windows has to keep 2 (or more??) Windows active and updated.

For me, full screen is the best
    Windows 7 64x, 6 gigs RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 260, Intel 2 Quad Core running at 2.66

Hi,

I can't be absolutely certain about FSX, but in FS2004 the accelerated graphics facilities of your graphics card are only available when in Fullscreen Mode. This explains why, generally, frame rates are better than when in Windowed Mode.

Alastair

AOPA #04634067

I fly FSX...my experience is that full screen or window does not make a lot of difference in re fps...but, I like to use two monitors...one for such windows as gps, radar contact, fsinn or other apps. full screen makes it impossible to use the 2nd monitor...

Sherm

I can't see any difference myself using NVidia 8800 hardware on win XP.

scott s.

7. Default

How do you get FSX to start-up in Full Screen?
    Mine used to until I started to try to different options on my Nvidia Card...when I went back to FSX it crashed at the virtual cockpit and now it starts only in window mode...

start FSX,
    click "Fly Now" (this will open in windowed mode),
    press Alt + Enter to enter fullscreen mode,
    close FSX (using CTRL + Pause)

if all works, FSX should now start in fullscreen mode
    FSX Acceleration Windows 7 64-Bit, MSI B85M-43, Intel Core i5-4690K, 16GB DDR-1600 RAM, EVGA GTX760 ACX, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 1TB HDD

Welcome to the Forums! I agree with Andrei (deepsea345)