Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS2004 transfer to new SATA HD

Default FS2004 transfer to new SATA HD

Hello friends.
    I have hundreds & hundreds of add-ons/files, etc. and I hate to re-install everything if I can just "move" them over to the new drive. Is it possible to transfer (intact) my FS2004 folder to a new WesternDigital SATA hard drive? Does anyone know if this is possible?

I just hate to have to reload everything, as I just got thru doing all of that recently... then a friend gave me a new hard drive yesterday.

Thanks for any input on this.
    Glenn
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

2. Default

I believe FS makes registry changes/entries when installed.

You will have to install FS on the new drive, but you should be able to move all related folders into the FS folder with no problems.

I've done this several times and I'm going to be doing it again in a few days to a third system for WidevieW.

Some (perhaps most) WD drives come with a utility to automatically transfer ALL data (including the OP) from an old disk to a new one.

If yours does, then using that option would pick up the existing Operating system and ALL files including the registry.

As was stated in the other post, some addons to FS do write to the registry (as does FS itself) so perhaps just having the utility grab everything would be the way to go.

Good Luck!
    David "Opa" Marshall

Default External HD holds all my FS copies.

Glenn,

I too have a SATA Western Digital external 500 gig HD and I have copied all of my FS files to it and I regularly copy files back in to my desktop, especially when a file has a corrupted sound file or such. It is a lifesaver! I almost always use FS9 and have the external HD running at the same time so that I can tweak and try things on my planes and if I mess up, find the saved copy or download file and bring the clean copy back to FS . It also works fine for FSX for me.

I am running a stock Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with a Core 2. Being a newbie and a download junkie, the extra HD drive works for me. I hope you have the same results.

Good luck, Cal ...ramjett

Hi Glenn,

If you're looking to replace your existing drive with the new SATA drive, then removing the old one, there are several software solutions. My backup software (Acronis True Image) has the facility of duplicating a drive on a second, after which the original would be disconnected and the new drive allocated the same drive letter as the original. As far as the PC (Registry) is concerned, nothing has changed, other than the drive becoming bigger.

Obviously this is easier when the drive in question is "just" for FS2004. If the original drive is the system C:\ drive then there may be other factors to consider. For this probably creating a backup image of the drive followed by a "restore" to the new drive would be the best policy (as would happen if your C:\ drive had failed)

As has been mentioned above, for many payware products Registry entries are made and if both drives are to be retained the software would normally have to be properly reinstalled from the Wrapper, downloaded installer or CD/DVD in a fresh installation of FS2004 on the new drive.

Alastair

AOPA #04634067

6. Smile FS2004 transfer to new SATA HD

Hi Glenn. If you are adding the new drive as a second hard drive this is what I did that worked fine. Format the new drive after it is properly installed. Then open both drives with My Computer. Copy and Paste what you want from the old drive to the new drive. This might be a slow way to do it but it worked for me.
    Dave

Hi guys.

Yes, I want to retain both hard drives, but use the newer, larger one for FS2004 ONLY. It is a 160GB Western Digital SATA 7200rpm, 16MB buffer.

My C:\ drive (80GB) is currently where all of the program files are located, including the OS and also FS2004. I was wondering of there was going to be an easy way to just move what I needed over, or if I should go through another complete installation period (I just finished reinstalling it after a system crash recently) and would this provide as good performance if just "moving things over" would actually work. (???)
    CoolerMaster CenturionTower, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition 3.4Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB, Western-Digital Black-Edition Caviar 1TB SATA3 HDD, 8GB Corsair Xtreme DDR3, ASUS MA489GTD-Pro MB, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Cooling fan, Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 Monitor, CHProducts Flight-yoke/rudder-pedals, TrackIR4

I've installed FS9 on my system drive, copied the fresh installation to a second hard drive, to convert that one to Golden Wings. Golden Wings runs fine with no registry changes, but there are a few files in the original installation that are used by both installations.

I think if you copy the installation to a new drive, then delete the original, you might have some problems. You could probably delete most of the original installation, if you really understood everything related in the registry, so that you kept only what is needed.

If you uninstall the original installation, you will definitely have problems, because the registry entries will then be gone.

Thanks for everyone's help on this question. Reading everything listed thus far, it sounds like the best, most fool-proof method will be just doing a proper "new" full re-installation of FS2004 on the new hard drive. I hate to have to do that, but that is probably best.

Does anyone know if I could also later install FSX on the same new hard drive along with the FS2004, which would still be on that same drive too?

Hi Glenn,

I agree. And, where possible, its a good idea to put the scenery in a folder outside of FS2004. That way, if you have to reinstall the sim you can simply restore most of the scenery by "pointing" to each folder and adding it to the listing.

Alastair

AOPA #04634067