Thread: Thrust reversers in FSX

Default Thrust reversers in FSX

How do I engage thrust reversers in FSX planes? I can't seem to find an assignment fir this in the controls menu. I want to be able to assign one of my joystick buttons to engage/disengage the thrust reversers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogget View Post
    How do I engage thrust reversers in FSX planes? I can't seem to find an assignment fir this in the controls menu. I want to be able to assign one of my joystick buttons to engage/disengage the thrust reversers.
    Assign F2 and preess and hold to engage reversers. To disengage reversers increase your throttle (either with a throttle axis or with F3).
    QX9650@3.8Ghz, ASUS P5E3 Premium Vista X64,EVGA GTX280, 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3@1280Mhz, (1) 300GB WD Velociraptor, (4) 150GB WD Raptor X's, Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty, Hanns-G 28" LCD 1920x1200

Default Reversal

Just don't delete the original assignment, if it's there. Goes for any key(s) or keypad or joy assignment(s). FSX allows you to have multiple assignments for a single 'event' (macro?). You just make a NEW ASSIGNMENT for it, in keypad, joy, or USB keypad, (like I use) and it will all work. For F2 to be 'held' down, key would have to be able to 'repeat'. A single key pres might not do it. So, on joy, the 2, 3, or 4 buttons might work, IF you hold them down. You're busy with elevator, aerlions, etc when landing, so it's got go be a key you can reach ('work') at the same time a those others.

The answer for me was a USB keypad ($14) for throttle (F1, F2, F3, and F4), plus spoiler, view changes (S), snap to Panel View, parking brake set, trim, and water rudder, hook, and wing fold, all operated with LEFT hand. Assigning them was simple. So, reversers for me is hold down F2 (keypad 3). Keypad sits to left of keyboard for me. 2 hands=ALL controls, and only use 'Z' key on keyboard (also left hand). Works for me. Flaps is joy 3 and 4, with 2 being 'top down' view.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Last edited by napamule2; 01-25-2009 at 09:21 PM.

I would prefer to be able to press a joystick button to engage thrust reversers, and then press it again to disengage. Is that simple operation not possible?

Blog Entries

I would prefer to be able to press a joystick button to engage thrust reversers, and then press it again to disengage. Is that simple operation not possible?
    Just set the F2 assignment to your joystick button, making sure you have it set to "Repeat", or whatever the wording is. This will allow the thrust reversers to activate and stay activated. Then, to stop the reversers, just gently and momentarily add a bit of throttle.

Darrell

press f2 and hold. go to settings and set controls , and set f2, and the joystick button as an addition.

Another way of saying it is:
    go to the settings -> controls -> buttons/keys and scroll down to the entry
    Throttle (decrease quickly)
    by default it will have a keyboard assignment of F2. click on the "new assignment" box press the joystick button you want to use for reverse thrust, then OK. You should see your button assignment now. After doing this, you can move the repeat slider to the right.

Alternatively, if your joystick can send simulated keypresses, rather than controller button inputs, you could assign the F2 key with a repeat to you joystick profile using your stick's profiler.

There is no "toggle" function available for reverse thrust, so you can't turn it on and off with a single button.

scott s.

Thanks, guys. I will check it out, and see if it works!

Wink Also:

You can make a pushback pressing Shift+P.

Default Different

Pushback and Reverse Thrust are 2 different animals. You can't use pushback to slow your aircraft when it's rolling down runway during landing, now can you? No cigar.
    And Scott, revese thrust is not a 'simulated keypresses' operation. It's a 'hold down' key operation. But, maybe it's possible to do thru the profile for joy.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Last edited by napamule2; 01-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.