Thread: Loading flight plan to FMC

Default Loading flight plan to FMC

Is it possible to load an entire plan to a FMC? I mean big plans like SBGR to EDDF, 11 hours, dozens of waypoints. In X-Plane it is, (FMC has a "load" key) and that makes long flightplan loading much easier. I have Wilco 777 and PDG 737-NG. I know there are plans in PMDG formats, or else, but how to I load them directly in FS9, what procedure or what keys do I hit in the FMC?

Thanks

The PMDG takes its own proprietary format. I use a flight planner (FS Build-payware) that once the plan is built (and you can save it in its own format) can be exported to the PMDG format (and many other FMC formats) as well as FS9 and FSX. There is at least one freeware planner called Super Flight Planner that I believe can export some FMC formats as well.

In my application I export to PMDG (for the 737NGs) and to FS9 for use with Radar Contact (ATC) and Active Sky 6.5. (weather).

Although I do short and medium hauls I have never had a problem with the number of waypoints going into the plan. Members in the RC beta group do long hauls without problem.

Go to flightaware.com and pick some East or West Coast airports such as KBOS, Boston, and KLAX, Los Angeles, look at departures or arrivals, and click on a flight of interest. You will see that there really are not that many waypoints in a trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific route. Here's a Boston to London Heathrow plan:

KBOS PSM EBONY N109B DOTTY CRONO 5200N 05000W
    5300N 04000W 5400N 03000W 5300N 02000W
    MALOT UL9 STU UP2 NUMPO Y3 BEDEK OCK2F EGLL

For NATS crossings note that 5200N 05000W are the coordinates for one NAT waypoint. PAC waypoints are usually named I believe. Your planner can expand OCK2F which I think is a STAR.

I used to look at B738 routes for KSJC (I think) to PHNLL that Aloha used to use - it does have that long a range.

If you use an add-on flight planner they have databases of departure and arrival procedures. They will expand to individual waypoints that you can edit before exporting if you wish to use in part with your FMC database of departure and arrival procedures, or you can justy import into your FMC all of the waypoints.

If you have exported a plan to PMDG to load it just LSK INDEX, then NAVDATA, then FLIGHT PLANS, and then scroll through the list of available ones, LSK the one you want. This will put the name into the scratchpad such as KBOSEGLL. Then go to RTE (page 1) and LSK CO_ROUTE and this will load your plan to activate and execute.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

Thanks ronzie. I'll study your answer carefully. This is a whole new science for me, since even though if I've been in sims already for 8 years, just now I decided to go deep in stuffs like navigation and FMCs. BTW, how do you solve the problem of ATC not recognizing or dealing specially STAR (sometimes also SID)?

Regards, Walter

ATC will hold you to the waypoints in your plan. If your planner and your options have the SID/STAR waypoints in them ATC will hold you to those either during departure after vectoring stops or arrival before vectoring (if you so choose) starts.

I can't speak for FS ATC since I have not used it in FS9 and just for a short period ion FS8 before acquiring Radar Contact, a payware product. I'll try to be as general as possible.

When you take-off you fly runway heading or a heading ATC has commanded. You may then be given vectors which at a certain point line you up with some waypoint in your plan. During this time you will probably using HDG, ALT, and SPEED on your MCP with your AP engaged. When told to resume your own navigation if you are under an FMC advance the next waypoint to the top of the list on the LEGS page 1, or if you are using a GPS perfoprm a direct-to. On an FMC perform the EXE to activate the new plan and then engage LNAV.

On arrival ATC will expect you to follow the STAR waypoints you included in the plan. At some point you will be given the option from approach to take vectors or do your own navigation. If you take vectors you disengage LNAV and perform all control on the MCP as described for departures.

If you decide to use the SID/STAR database from the FMC or GPS rather than the waypoints from your planner, you risk the waypoints in the FMC LEGS page being different from the planner waypoints used by ATC and they will be out of sync. I generally use only the ILS or other procedure in the FMC arrival database to present as just a guide on the navigation display to give me situational awareness.

There is a very good book I have written by retired United Airlines Captain Mike Ray. It is for the PC SIM 700 series aircraft. It is described here (with sample pages):

http://www.utem.com/manuals.html

and for sample pages:

http://www.utem.com/700PAGES01.htm

the title being 700 Flying the BOEING 700 Series Flight Simulators for USD $29.95 direct or from amazon or retailers such as the FS Pilot shop here. This book is specific to PC sims. It does not go into systems or fuel planning very much but is how to manage the aircraft via the FMC and MCP. Practical experience is offered. Look at the sample pages.

If you would rather have the Airbus version go:

http://www.utem.com/arrivals.html

and:

http://www.utem.com/A300PAGES01.htm

for sample pages.

and browse NEW! Sim-Flying the AIRBUS A300 Series Flight Simulations for $49.95. While I do not have any airbus models the less expensive Boeing book might be good enough for both aircraft if you interpret it loosely.

The 700 book gives practical lessons and procedures that go beyond the FMC Manual in your PMDG folder. It really shortened the PMDG learning curve for me regarding flight operations using the avionics.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team