I used to use FS 2002, but then had some kids and so had no more time to waste at weekends :-)
Anyway, my kids are older now, and I'd like to get back into it, but I've got a few questions:
1. Is it worth getting FSX? I've got a PC with following spec:
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 PK PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit
BFG GeForce 7300 GT OC 256MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express)
2. When is MS predicted to come out with the next version of FS, and what expectations are there of it?
3. What about freeware alternatives? I had a look at flightgear a few years ago, but wasn't very impressed.
4. I really like the scenery and precise terrain relief in Google Earths flight simulator, I was extremely impressed at how good this was for less well known locations (like the cheviot hills in northumberland, england). Is FSX as good as this (compared to FS 2002).
5. Could Google Earth's flight sim be a threat to MS in the future, or is it more likely new versions of MS FS will use the same concept of downloading photographic scenery on the fly?