Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WARNING - Do NOT buy Perfect Flight Sound Environment X

Exclamation WARNING - Do NOT buy Perfect Flight Sound Environment X

Here's a warning to all who might consider the purchase of this "tool": its pure fraud, a completely useless chunk of bits and bytes.

1) there is no such thing as "upsamling". You can downsample an audio file from 44.1kHz to whatever is less, but you CAN NOT effectively upsample anything from a lower sample rate to 44.1kHz!

The only thing changing is the file size! Any sample at 22.5kHz will not use a wider range than 22.5kHz, even when converted to 44.1kHz. The gained headroom will remain empty.

Example: putting a brick from a shoebox into a ship container will be a complete waste of space. The same thing happens when you "upsample" a file from a lower to a higher sample rate.

2) conversion from MONO to STEREO is IMPOSSIBLE. The converted file will have two identical mono tracks effectively resulting in a MONO file. The same happens when a mono file is played through a stereo amplifier - it simply plays back the same waveform on both speakers.

AGAIN: Do NOT buy this software, it's an outrage by Perfect Flight to offer such a product to the community.

Nick (MeatWater)

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

MeatWater,

Can it be that by stereo they mean panned or panning? If so that would be perfectly legitimate. Remember, the images suggest that English is not the developers' native language, so give them a break on that one.

However, I too have a background in digital audio and I agree with you 100% -- upsampling does nothing useful and, if done with inferior software, might actually degrade the audio quality instead of improving it. If the developers really did simply upsample and are claiming superior results, and if they knew this would be impossible, that would be fraud in the inducement.

However, it doesn't follow that the product is a bad purchase, just that the advertising is outrageously misleading whether intentionally so or not.
    Last edited by xxmikexx; 09-23-2008 at 06:32 PM.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

You can pan as much as you like, MONO remains MONO.

To have a sound seem to travel across the stereo field is a stereo effect, not a mono effect, and this is a legitimate use of a mono sound file. I speak as a former music producer.

Quote Originally Posted by xxmikexx View Post
    To have a sound seem to travel across the stereo field is a stereo effect, not a mono effect, and this is a legitimate use of a mono sound file.
    Sure not, even if (!) they had the thunder sounds pan from left to right this would be unrealistic.

I have no idea what you're talking about but thanks for the warning.
    I was considering buying that product.
    I think I'll pass now.
    Intel Core i7 975 Extreme (3.86GHz)
    12GB Corsair Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 285
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

To have a sound seem to travel across the stereo field is a stereo effect, not a mono effect, and this is a legitimate use of a mono sound file.
    Perhaps, but it still is not "stereo" sound, which would produce variations in sound. I went to their website when this was announced, looking for samples to listen to as I don't know how to purchase anything sound-related without hearing it first (who would purchase an add-on scenery without pics first?). When I could find no samples coupled with their "no refund" policy, it was a no-brainer that they wouldn't be getting my business.

Very poor marketing if it really does sound better. Otherwise, to me, it just looks like somebody trying to make a quick buck.
    Last edited by alexm; 09-23-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Alex M.

So you are saying this is not divine software, and I cannot turn water into wine?

I'm not endorsing the product but I'm not prepared to slam it either. It cannot be as advertised but it doesn't follow that the product isn't worth buying.

Further regarding stereo effects, if the mono file is slightly delayed in one of the channels this can produce a richer sounding mono experience, especially if they're applying "swimming" EQ to both channels but out of phase. Is the result better? Probably, but that would certainly not be stereo, it would be enhanced mono.

I have no axe to grind here other than the truth. Unless somebody can show me that I'm missing something (which is certainly possible), I stand by my statements.

I don't know whether or not the product worth purchasing, but it's not automatically a bad purchase. Are there indications of reasons to stay away? Absolutely. Incorrect advertising, no demo and no right of return are all bad signs. However, do you know for a fact that there is no right of return at the Pilot Shop for a product like this?
    Last edited by xxmikexx; 09-23-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxmikexx View Post
    I'm not endorsing the product but I'm not prepared to slam it either. It cannot be as advertised but it doesn't follow that the product isn't worth buying.
    I haven't slammed the product either.

Further regarding stereo effects, if the mono file is slightly delayed in one of the channels this can produce a richer sounding mono experience, especially if they're applying "swimming" EQ to both channels but out of phase. Is the result better? Probably, but that would certainly not be stereo, it would be enhanced mono.
    Exactly. They are labeling it as stereo, which, IMO, is misleading to most who don't understand the essential difference.

I have no axe to grind here other than the truth. Unless somebody can show me that I'm missing something (which is certainly possible), I stand by my statements.
    Fine by me.

I don't know whether or not the product worth purchasing, but it's not automatically a bad purchase. Are there indications of reasons to stay away? Absolutely. Incorrect advertising, no demo and no right of return are all bad signs.
    This was the point of my post.

However, do you know for a fact that there is no right of return at the Pilot Shop for a product like this?
    I don't care, because I have enough information already to make my decision.
    Last edited by alexm; 09-23-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Alex M.