Thread: Flight Deck 5

Hybrid View

Default Flight Deck 5

The other day I was in an electronic store and noticed this add-on software for FS. One of the OS's listed in the requirements was Windows 98. But further down the specification list it mentioned that 1 gb of memory was required. It seems to me that I read somewhere that Windows 98 could only recognize 1/2 gb. If this is so, how could it work with 98?

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

thinman,

It's been a LONG time but I think that it was disk drive capacity that had limitations, the requirement being for a special driver if the capacity was greater than I-don't-remember-what. As I recall this issue was dealt with at boot time through autoexec.bat

But I really don't remember for sure -- I'm probably garbling stuff. With luck member loki will know.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by thinman View Post
    The other day I was in an electronic store and noticed this add-on software for FS. One of the OS's listed in the requirements was Windows 98. But further down the specification list it mentioned that 1 gb of memory was required. It seems to me that I read somewhere that Windows 98 could only recognize 1/2 gb. If this is so, how could it work with 98?

Windows 98 hard drives have a max of 64GB (or roughly double with a patch from MS) and windows 98SE 137GB. This applies to partitions, so if you have larger hard drives you can still use them but keep partitions under 125GB+/-.

Win 98 does in fact have RAM limit of 2 GB, but there is one minor gotcha: A bug in Windows 95, 98, SE, and ME crops up if you have more than 512MB of memory installed. The part of Windows that moves files in and out of the memory management sets aside enough memory so it can work with big files, and if the amount of available memory is large, the memory chunk that is set aside is large too. Unfortunately, if the amount of available memory is more than 512MB-the file handling routines can grab so much memory that nothing is left for more mundane functions. Paradoxically, if Windows hits this bug, it may report the problem to you by saying there is not enough memory available to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again. Or it may hang completely. To warn Windows that you have more than 512MB of memory installed, add the following line to the [VCache] section of your win.ini file: MaxFileCache = 524288. (*Note - This only applies to Win98/98SE/ME)

By the way Flight Deck 5 works great with FSX on my Vista system. It wouldn't work at all with Win98 regardless of the RAM situation if you want it for FSX, for FS9 I don't know, I have never run FS9 on Win98.
    Last edited by Paxx; 09-14-2008 at 04:37 PM.

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

Folks,

It doesn't have to be loki. Member Paxx will do nicely too.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.