Thread: WX radar?

Default WX radar?

What are the chances of having working WXR in the Level D or PMDG EHSI? I have the PSS 777Pro, and that "thing" has it! (Which is a subject I won't get too deep into.) I guess what I'm asking is, after several days of wondering, is, would it be possible to use either the radar, or the whole EHSI of the PSS in either of the other FINE aircraft?

In short, probably not. The gauges in most payware aircraft are tied to that aircraft, so that they can't be used in other planes. I don't know for sure if this is the case with the PSS WX radar, but I would highly suspect that it is.
    Commercial Pilot ASEL - Instrument Rated
    Air Traffic Controller - Anchorage

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

Guys,

It's not free but the Reality XP weather radar is terrific and can be installed to as many aircraft as you like. I own it and love it. The TAWS is also excellent.

Order from the developer at http://www.reality-xp.com/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way, the Dreamfleet2000 727 incorporates a subset version of the Reality XP weather radar. Order it from Flight1 at http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ga727
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Fill me in. When you say that a gauge is "tied" to an aircraft, what exactly does that mean? How would a WXR be tied to one aircraft if it is a gauge in a folder? (please dont take this as argumentative, but, this is typing so I know how it may be read!) Yeah I know about the realityXP stuff. Good stuff indeed. I fly 7 series and strictly VC, so it just seems unrealistic to have a pop up going, and, there's really nowhere to mount it permanantly.

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

AirMedic,

Yours is a perfectly reasonable question. The direct answer to the specific question you asked is, "Via the panel.cfg file, which is in a specific aircraft but cites the gauge in Gauges or wherever". But this short answer doesn't really tell what's going on ...

I haven't tried it but I imagine that the Dreamfleet 727-200 gauge code has some kind of license check in it so that it can't be used with any aircraft other than the license-protected aircraft into which it had been originally installed. In other words, while you could go through the motions of installing the gauge into some other aircraft, the DF RXP gauge code probably has a way of interrogating its runtime environment and deciding whether to function, making the "transplant" pointless.

In contrast the free standing RXP WX radar gauge can be incorporated into the panels of as many aircraft as you like. It's been so long since I installed it that I don't recall whether it has a license check but even if it does, it would be checking something centralized -- like a registry entry -- rather than trying to do some kind of data handshake with other code in the panel.

I hope this answers your question. If not, ask again. (But remember, I have Celtic Writing Genes and will usually give back ten words for every one I'm given. )
    Last edited by xxmikexx; 09-09-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Lightbulb

AirMedic:

to add to mike's comments ...

many developers have licensed the fswxr2100.gau, by Praxmarer Florian, for use in their panels. this gauge is 'free standing' but must be tied to the panel code to show in the MFD (think layers of images).

each developer makes his/her/their own choices. in this situation PMDG and levelD have decided not to puchase a gauge nor develop their own.

now the rub for PSS, feelThere and others ... Florian has discontinued development/support of the fswxr2100.

--
    D.Scobie - new 'rig' is Core2 Duo E8400 at 3GHz w/2GB, Win. XP w/SP3, nVIDIA 9600GT 512MB

There was a "hack" out that tied the Reality-XP older version WX-500 to the PMDG 737NG 800, 900 version 1.3 ND. It was code specific and not recommended for the faint of heart. For a time Reality-XP offered version 2.00 to those who wanted to try this.

It involved unique changes to the ND control and radio panels with overlay gauges, etc. I use it.

PMDG's stated policy is that they will not provide a weather radar until FS provides a weather modeling engine that can provide more realistic precipitation returns, not just based on 3D clouds.

I have the WX-500 as a stand-alone in other aircraft and it does provide some satisfaction. I use FS Panel Studio to place it on the various panels. For certain aircraft a utility is provided for panel placement, otherwise the utility just furnished a pop-up.
    KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team