Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding GPS & AP to FS9 A/C

Default Adding GPS & AP to FS9 A/C

The only thing I could find on this was a post from 2006 in the Panel Design forum that was never answered.

How do you add an Autopilot & GPS to an FS9 aircraft. Not imbedded into the panel, but those brought up up the shift + number keys.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to respond, positively or negatively. Hope this isn't one of those forbidden questions that automatically gets no response.

Steve Woodman

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

whazzap,

I personally believe that all questions should be answered no matter how often or how recently they may have been asked. So do the moderators of the Newcomer Services forum. Now ...

Ask and ye shall receive. Just give me a little time to do some research on your behalf. I'll be back ...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... I believe this addon will do you nicely, Abacus CoPilot Pro, available from the PilotShop here ...
    http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...d=1119&ref=135, $29.95 US, price subject to change without notice.

This addon will provide pop-up autopilot and GPS capability without your having to integrate anything into a panel. The product writeup is a little ambiguous but I'm pretty sure that the single purchase supports FS2004 in addition to the stated FSX support. Let me go out to the Abacus site and confirm that, http://www.abacuspub.com ...

... Yes, it's for both sims. By the way, the Pilot Shop price is about $10 US lower than if you were to purchase from the Abacus site front page.
    Last edited by xxmikexx; 09-03-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by whazaaap View Post
    The only thing I could find on this was a post from 2006 in the Panel Design forum that was never answered.

How do you add an Autopilot & GPS to an FS9 aircraft. Not imbedded into the panel, but those brought up up the shift + number keys.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to respond, positively or negatively. Hope this isn't one of those forbidden questions that automatically gets no response.

Steve Woodman
    Hi Steve -

The process is not difficult but a little too lengthy to outline in a forum message.

If you care to e-mail me - opaflightsimaddict at verizon dot net - I will be happy to walk you thru the process of adding "windows" called by the shift number key.

The process I am speaking of does not require you to purchase anything.
    Last edited by opaplano; 09-03-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    David "Opa" Marshall

And the product I recommended does not require that he learn anything.

Smile Add ons

I learn most things by looking at aircraft that have what I want and just copy from the panel folder the appropriate part of the panel configs and then make adjustments to fit my panel. Costs nothing and then you know how.

DAve

datatrain,

I do that too. In fact, I go further. I'm maintaining the source code for the Richard Probst 727-200 panel -- costs nothing, and I've never read the SDK. (Learn it on the job, piece of cake if you're a C/asm programmer like I am.)

Yet I still buy panel and instrument products, because sometimes I'd rather spend my time doing other things than tinkering with a particular panel that I can replace quickly and cost-effectively with payware.

And anyway, not everybody wants to monkey with panel.cfg, just like not everybody wants to monkey with aircraft.cfg the way I do.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One of the things I like about FS is that we can each enjoy the sim in our own way. You and I are comfortable learning what's going on under the hood and changing the engine oil, but not everybody wants to be bothered. Sometimes people just want to buy something and use it, instead of writing their own flight simulator, for example.

Different strokes for different folks.

7. Default

*shrug* it's pretty quick to add a GPS to a panel, only a couple of lines and can be done in a matter of minutes.

Go to your FS9 folder, then the aircraft folder, find the aircraft you want, go to the panel folder, and open panel.cfg in notepad.

Find "[Window Titles]" and pick the next sequential number
    Code:
    [Window Titles]
    Window00=Main Panel
    Window01=Overhead
    In this example the next number is 02.

Thus add the next line using that number:
    Code:
    Window02=GPS
    Now anywhere in the file, add one of these sections, except change 02 to the number from before.

If you want the smaller GPS295:
    Code:
    [Window02]
    size_mm=545,354
    window_size=0.5,0.3625
    BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
    VISIBLE=0
    ident=GPS_PANEL
    gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0
    Alternatively the bigger GPS500
    Code:
    [Window02]
    size_mm=456,378
    window_size=0.5
    BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
    VISIBLE=0
    ident=GPS_PANEL
    gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0
    All in less time than it takes you to whip out your credit card.
    Last edited by azur; 09-04-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Folks,

That's a big 10-4 on adding the GPS. ... And the requested autopilot is where?
    Last edited by xxmikexx; 09-04-2008 at 07:43 AM.

9. Default

Oops, missed the AP.

Same principle and process as the GPS above, except instead use

Code:
    gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,0,0
    Then just remove the ident= line and adjust the size_mm=. I'm fairly sure that if you remove size_mm alltogether then FS will size it automatically.

"Touche" he says as he bows, sweeping his his feathered tricornu from his head, wafting it in a circular arc, barely missing the ground, his white ruffled sleeves contrasting with the burgundy-colored cloth of his Louis Quatorze tunic.

(OG ... I hope azur won't do a sartorial fact-check of what I just wrote. )