Thread: Saitek X52 with FlightSim X

Default Saitek X52 with FlightSim X

Hi,

I've just started with Flight Sim X and the X52 (not the X52 Pro system) system. I'm learning how to program the X52 with the SST program.

On Saitek's website under downloads they list a Flight Sim file called s2004x52.zip. I downloaded and unzipped it. I get a file called FS 2004 - X52 with an extension of "DAT."
    1. What do I do with this file?
    2. Does it belong in a particular directory?
    3. How is it loaded when using FLT SIM X?
    4. What is a "DAT" file as opposed to a "PR0" file?

The SST profile editor creates a "PR0" file and will not open a "DAT" file.

I've tried to get help on the Saitek forum. So far I found that Saitek's tech support is AWOL.

Thanks for your help.
    Michael

Blog Entries

It's going to be rough answering this one. Most of us have simple joysticks, and the exception is the occasional set of rudders. I'll go ask around.

DAT files were used with the previous versions of the sst software. The current sst (IIRC ver 6) won't accept them and there is no conversion available that I know about.

scott s.

Blog Entries

Saitek changed the profile format from DAT to PR0 a while ago. Take my advice, make your own profile. Works much better, and you can make it fit you and your flying style exactly. You don't need this file to fly.

The SST program does not do anything to FS. What it does is it simulates keystrokes when you press buttons. For example, when I press A on my X52, it does the EXACT SAME THING as pressing ' on the keyboard(Opens ATC). FS does not know that it was a joystick, not a keyboard. That's where the flexibility comes from.

The profile file simply tells it what to do with each button.
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

5. Default

No need for any profiles. Just map the axes and buttons inside FS.
    That's the way I've done it and it works a lot better than using the Saitek software.

Thanks for all the replies.

I did get an answer from Saitek:

"Unfortunately, the profiles on our website are not compatible with the latest software (that runs .pr0 files).

I have attached the updated profile for FSX to this email for you to use.

Once you have unzipped the profile, it will need to be deposited into the Saitek SD6 profile folder. If you are using XP this is Shared Documents, if you are using Vista this will be in Public Documents.

Once the profile is in that folder, you can then right click your X52 icon and select the profile from the pop up list."

Their new profile has a lot of functions. I will experiment with it.

However, "jwenting" wrote that I should map the axes and buttons inside FS. I have no idea what that means. Can you explain?

Thanks again, Michael

7. Default

In the key assignment dialog within FS, you can map the controls of the X52 to commands in FS.
    This includes the control axes like rudder, ailerons, etc.
    Quite a few will work out of the box with no configuration whatsoever.

But the X52 can do far more than is configured by default.
    For example I've mapped the flaps to the slider on the throttle control, the ATC window to the small blue button on the throttle (might remap that to what I've set up as the microphone key for IVAO).

Thanks for the tips.

Michael

Blog Entries

To be clear:

With a joystick that is not a really fancy one(X52, CH etc.) You simply plug it in, and then in FSX you go into the options menu and set each axis control(throttle, flaps etc.) to an axis on your joystick, and actions to buttons on your joystick.

Doing it with the SST software is separate, and means that the conversion from 'joystick button' to 'action' happens outside FSX. DO NOT set both. Because it will get very confusing and it might not work properly.
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

10. Default

Thanks. Undoubtedly I would have combined both. I'll try the programming from within Flight Sim only.

Michael