Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flying the Learjet

Default Flying the Learjet

The other day, even though I'm still learning, I decided to try out the Learjet.
    Well I went through the preflight instructions and took to the air. Got it up with no problem (boy is that thing fast), flew around some before landing back at the airport I started from. Got it lined up with the runway, touched down, and applied the brakes. Well nothing happened. Kept pulling on the joystick trigger but it wouldn't slow down. Finally ended up off the end of the runway and stopping just short of some nice small pine trees. Thought to myself, what happened to the brakes. So I did the outside spotter view. There I was sitting flat down on my belly in some nicely mowed grass. Forgot to lower the landing gear. No wonder the brakes didn't work. And to add insult to injury, did it again yesterday. I figured, well at least I'm getting a lot of practice at this just in case the landing gear won't come down.

Bob

Blog Entries

Aside from your escapades, do you know about reverse thrust?

When you take the throttles back beyond idle( Press F1, hold F2), buckets will extend from the back of the engine to direct the thrust forward. Makes you slow down even quicker, even when you belly-land!
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

I didn't the first time, but I used them the second time (yesterday). I was stopped in the middle of the runway and not very far down it either.

Quote Originally Posted by thinman View Post
    I didn't the first time, but I used them the second time (yesterday). I was stopped in the middle of the runway and not very far down it either.
    There are a couple more things you can do besides making sure the gear is down before landing and using reverse thrust after landing.

Go to the knee board, select check lists and scroll down to the landing checklist. One of the items in the landing checklist is to arm the speed brake. The key command is Shift/ (shift forward slash). If you want to see just what this does, select the throttle quadrant, hit shift/ and watch the control lever that says brake. Shift/ only "arms the speed brake" when the plane is flying. If you're on the ground shift/ will act just like hitting / and deply the speed brake.

That's not the wheel brake, its the speed brake. To see what the speed brake is, when flying select outside view, zoom in on the wings and hit just the / (forward slash) and observe the speed brakes deploy.

The speed brakes should deploy automatically once you touch down when armed. That is the first thing that will help you slow down. Once the nose wheel touches down, reverse thrust, and then apply the wheel brakes after 80 knots or so.

This may sound like a lot at first however all these things will become second nature once you do them often enough. To stop REALLY FAST you can also set the auto-brake to Max on the panel switch that has settings RTO,1,2,3 or Max. The RTO is for take off and the other settings are for landing.

Depending on your preference, you can use all three methods all the time. Personally, since the auto-brake won't release until you tap the brakes in FS, (I can't speak for the real world,) I don't usually set it. I just go with the speed brake, apply reverse thrust until 80 knots, then use the wheel brakes to slow enough to turn off on a high-speed ramp, if available.

You probably know some, most, or all of this.
    I just thought I'd mention them in case you haven't read about them yet.

The only dangerous part of flying is landing.
    Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man, Landing is the 1st!

EDIT: Opps, there is no auto-brake in the Lear. I was thinking about the 737.
    Last edited by NikeHerk67; 07-15-2008 at 01:37 AM.
    Herk
    Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

Well last night I flew the Learjet again. This time I managed to set it down okay (landing gear was down). I used the reverse thrusters after landing, then the brakes. I taxied off the runway and to one of the hangers. Now here is my question. Where is the off switch for the engines on this thing? I moved the curser over ever button on the panel, but nothing popped up that showed engine off.

Bob

6. Default

pull the throttles back beyond their idle point into the "cutoff" stop.

Quote Originally Posted by NikeHerk67 View Post
    There are a couple more things you can do besides making sure the gear is down before landing and using reverse thrust after landing.

Go to the knee board, select check lists and scroll down to the landing checklist. One of the items in the landing checklist is to arm the speed brake. The key command is Shift/ (shift forward slash). If you want to see just what this does, select the throttle quadrant, hit shift/ and watch the control lever that says brake. Shift/ only "arms the speed brake" when the plane is flying. If you're on the ground shift/ will act just like hitting / and deply the speed brake.

That's not the wheel brake, its the speed brake. To see what the speed brake is, when flying select outside view, zoom in on the wings and hit just the / (forward slash) and observe the speed brakes deploy.

The speed brakes should deploy automatically once you touch down when armed. That is the first thing that will help you slow down. Once the nose wheel touches down, reverse thrust, and then apply the wheel brakes after 80 knots or so.

This may sound like a lot at first however all these things will become second nature once you do them often enough. To stop REALLY FAST you can also set the auto-brake to Max on the panel switch that has settings RTO,1,2,3 or Max. The RTO is for take off and the other settings are for landing.

Depending on your preference, you can use all three methods all the time. Personally, since the auto-brake won't release until you tap the brakes in FS, (I can't speak for the real world,) I don't usually set it. I just go with the speed brake, apply reverse thrust until 80 knots, then use the wheel brakes to slow enough to turn off on a high-speed ramp, if available.

You probably know some, most, or all of this.
    I just thought I'd mention them in case you haven't read about them yet.

The only dangerous part of flying is landing.
    Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man, Landing is the 1st!

EDIT: Opps, there is no auto-brake in the Lear. I was thinking about the 737.
    I did not know about arming the speed brake and setting the auto brake to Max. Thanks for the information. But as you mentioned I think I'll start by using the air brake, reverse thrust and brakes for now.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jwenting View Post
    pull the throttles back beyond their idle point into the "cutoff" stop.
    Hello J.

I did this after reading your reply, but something is still running. Don't know what it is unless there's a very loud a/c unit running in the cabin. Any ideas on what the noise could be?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by thinman View Post
    Hello J.

I did this after reading your reply, but something is still running. Don't know what it is unless there's a very loud a/c unit running in the cabin. Any ideas on what the noise could be?

Bob
    Cabin fans, maybe other jets at the airport?
    How did you get the Learjet to turn off?!!!
    In the process of building a Beechcraft Baron 58 Twin full motion simulator. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by caraboose View Post
    Cabin fans, maybe other jets at the airport?
    How did you get the Learjet to turn off?!!!
    Actually thinman is using FS2002.
    Turning if off.
    Unfortuneatly, in the Lear 45 in FSX they forgot to provide a fuel cutoff. It's labeled on the throttle quadrant, but it doesn't work. Call it a bug.
    Alternately, you can do it like this. Hit Cntl/Shift/F1 which is mixture (idle cutoff) or, if you have a mixture lever, ie one of the Yokes, you can pull the lever all the way back.

As for the sound after he shuts it down; he probably has the enviornment slider maxed out and it's the wind. Just a guess.
    That or the sound card needs a driver update or upgrade, or like you suggested, he's parked next to a running aircraft.
    Last edited by NikeHerk67; 07-19-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Herk
    Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8