Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between Ultimate terrain X(UTX) and Ground Environment X (GEX)?

1. Default

It might matter. Typically the lowest numbers have highest priority so if you have some other landclass with a higher priority it might override the lower priority version.
    BUT I'm not sure that will happen in this case, as I don't know what is contained in Megascenery. It may not contain landclass at all.

As to why GEX is global, it's because part of the textures are shared between areas.
    FS divides the world up in sections, each with its own textures.
    So you will have separate textures for American farms, European farms (which are typically smaller and have more distinct borders), Asian farms (rice paddies for example), etc. etc.
    But some of those textures are shared between these areas. Rocky mountain slopes for example, and certain snow and desert textures. If GEX modifies those from the defaults, you'd see those new versions everywhere.
    But the main purpose of the product is to cover north America (with some overlap into central America no doubt, as the coverage areas don't follow national borders precisely).

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    With Ultimate Terrain X and Ground Environment X, you can literally turn FSX autogen setting
    to either off or to sparse and gain a lot of FPS. You'll never miss the default autogen buildings!
    does that mean that the addon's also replace the buildings etc?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DutchCoolHand View Post
    does that mean that the addon's also replace the buildings etc?

No. Others can explain this better than me.

But the buildings contained in GEX are kinda photo real, similiar to Megascenery.
    They don't stick up in 3d like the default buildings. GEX and UTX can't really be appreciated until you're at least 1000ft AGL.
    On the ground you can't see the GEX buildings cause they are flush with the surface.
    But once your airborne you can't tell the difference and they look much better than the default buildings.
    Set your FSX scenery complexity slider to the max setting and you'll still have all your FSX airport buildings and hangers.

The FSX default autogen buildings are way too large for the GEX scenery and look like crap.
    So I just configured the FSX.cfg file to show more autogen trees and not the buildings.
    Set the autogen slider to sparse, and everything looks great.

GEX is so good that you won't miss the FSX autogen buildings sticking up in the middle of
    freeways and on top of other GEX buildings.

This also improved frame rates a great deal on my computer.
    Last edited by Captain America; 06-15-2008 at 01:31 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwenting View Post
    It might matter. Typically the lowest numbers have highest priority so if you have some other landclass with a higher priority it might override the lower priority version.
    BUT I'm not sure that will happen in this case, as I don't know what is contained in Megascenery. It may not contain landclass at all.

As to why GEX is global, it's because part of the textures are shared between areas.
    FS divides the world up in sections, each with its own textures.
    So you will have separate textures for American farms, European farms (which are typically smaller and have more distinct borders), Asian farms (rice paddies for example), etc. etc.
    But some of those textures are shared between these areas. Rocky mountain slopes for example, and certain snow and desert textures. If GEX modifies those from the defaults, you'd see those new versions everywhere.
    But the main purpose of the product is to cover north America (with some overlap into central America no doubt, as the coverage areas don't follow national borders precisely).
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    No. Others can explain this better than me.

But the buildings contained in GEX are kinda photo real, similiar to Megascenery.
    They don't stick up in 3d like the default buildings. GEX and UTX can't really be appreciated until you're at least 1000ft AGL.
    On the ground you can't see the GEX buildings cause they are flush with the surface.
    But once your airborne you can't tell the difference and they look much better than the default buildings.
    Set your FSX scenery complexity slider to the max setting and you'll still have all your FSX airport buildings and hangers.

The FSX default autogen buildings are way too large for the GEX scenery and look like crap.
    So I just configured the FSX.cfg file to show more autogen trees and not the buildings.
    Set the autogen slider to sparse, and everything looks great.

GEX is so good that you won't miss the FSX autogen buildings sticking up in the middle of
    freeways and on top of other GEX buildings.

This also improved frame rates a great deal on my computer.
    GEX does inddeed contain 3d autogen buildings just like default. They are not flush with the surface.
    GEX Autogen is more frame rate friendly however with no losse in visual qualty.
    Also the textures are more realistic than default so you can reduce or disable autogen and still have it look good at altitude.
    Others have found that you can increase autogen with GEX and matain the same frame rates as default.
    Last edited by JoeD; 06-15-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Hi Joe,

Which GEX option contans the Autogen? I just looked at my GEX and out of the 4 options nothing is mentioned about Autogen.

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    Hi Joe,

Which GEX option contans the Autogen? I just looked at my GEX and out of the 4 options nothing is mentioned about Autogen.
    With GEX, the amount of autogen is stiil adjusted through the default FSX interface autogen slider.

Personally, I was ablle to increase the autogen with GEX.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    GEX does inddeed contain 3d autogen buildings just like default. They are not flush with the surface.
    GEX Autogen is more frame rate friendly however with no losse in visual qualty.
    Also the textures are more realistic than default so you can reduce or disable autogen and still have it look good at altitude.
    Others have found that you can increase autogen with GEX and matain the same frame rates as default.

It makes more sense now. I always thought the 3D buildings were just the FSX default.
    I have the Autogen slider set at sparse and still have a lot of 3D buildings.

So, dumb question, can you use both at the same time in play?
    --Dan Roman; Sunland, CA; FSX, Acceleration, ASE, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83 GHz 2.83 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vortiz56 View Post
    So, dumb question, can you use both at the same time in play?

Yes you can.