Thread: TileProxy -vs- FS Earth Tiles

1. Default TileProxy -vs- FS Earth Tiles

Hi,

I just installed beta 7 version of tile proxy to work with my FSX SP1 / Acceleration pack.

I have been looking around for a product just like this since I installed FSX and am extremely glad I have found this. However I wanted to share my experience so far and see how this compares to FS Earth Tiles.

Firstly I am running Vista on a Dell XPS 420 with 2GB RAM, NVidia 8800 GT (512mb) and 640GB RAID 1 hard drives with Quad 2.40 Ghz processor.. I also have 2.5mb ADSL connection.

My experience is that this is a great application even though it takes a long time to load initially. Mine is also v.slow at updating tiles as I fly but then I like flying a beoing 737 and maybe this goes too fast for the updating. My next attempt to overcome this will be to disable my AV when running TileProxy.

One other option I have thought about and the main reason for this post is, should I be using something like FS Earth Tiles to pre-download all the major areas I fly?

Would it be feasible to download the whole of the UK?

I have also heard of Maps2BGL. Anyone got any feedback on this?

Thanks

I couldn't get tileproxy to work in FSX sp2 ... however, I have gotten FSEarthtiles to work ... and, I might add, work beautifully. If you have the time, the files are great and don't seem to have any FPS issues. The files however, are huge and take alot of time to compile. I've noticed that a 20 mi. X 20 mi. area will take about 1 hour to compile. Also, the download service that you use is important. Browse the web to get the best services and compare the results. Also, if you want night and winter textures (*fall and spring are also availiable), expect another 20 minutes for the compile and a corresponding larger file. I'm currently running about 10 cities. When you transit the area, you will have a noticeable change of scenery, which is standard for all add-on sceneries. But truthfully, if MS "Flight" could compress these files, it is a great advance in scenery ... and, it's free. The files are only .BGL's and are placed in your addon scenery file/scenery with no texture files produced. I'm amazed and delighted ... in my opinion, FSEarthtiles has revolutionized FSX.

If you take a look at any of my recent screen shots in FSX they are ALL using Tileproxy. I love the program. Can't get enough of it -- and here's a tip -- if you have other scenery, say Orbx or Aerosoft products, you can get them over the priority of Tilepoxy and everything will work just fin that way too.

You DO need to disable Driver Signing in the F8 options however -- Tileproxy WON'T work with that on.

Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK! If you have issues, feel free to ask here or send a PM -- I'll be glad to help.

John Thuot II
    A+/Network+

Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Geforce GTX 970. (YIPPPIE!!!!!)

Blog Entries

For the first month I had tileproxy working, it was amazing. I could fly any aircraft at speeds under 600 knots and it would keep up. I was preloading tiles by going to sleep with the king air criss-crossing the US at 200KIAS.

I don't know what changed, but it doesn't work at all now. I can't use tileproxy with a light twin going at 150 knots.

I'm considering getting the sim savvy America thing.
    FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P
    American Corporate Pilot

AMD X6 1090T black edition CPU, liquid cooled
    NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM
    3TB storage, plain hard drives

The only problem with FS Earth tiles is defining the coastline, if you wanted to do the whole of the UK in any detail you will need a bloomin' high quality KMZ (google earth) file to use. (I have never found one at high enough resolution.) However there is no reason why you couldnt just download the whole of the UK at once, it would have to be at a fairly low resolution 2m per pixel or less as otherwise it would take all week and be several hundred gigabytes in size. I have done whole areas of the UK before like the south east coast, Norfolk Sufolk, Essex etc at 1meter per pixel which looks pretty amazing, but the file sized is several gigabytes for each bit.
    Cheese War Enthusiast.

Blog Entries

Does tileproxy work all the time? Or does the map providers stop you from downloading since they think you're a virus, pirate, or something? I think FS Earth Tile and Map2bgl has those problems.

Also how is the performance for high speed high altitude flying?

I haven't used Tileproxy for a few months now as i bought some UK photoscenery. However, I still have the Tileproxy cache folder that contains nearly all of the UK (except Scotland which isn't well represented (or wasn't at the time).

IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

Blog Entries

I just tried it out. Mixed feelings.
    It's a neat app since you get photoscenery without making maps your own like FS Earth Tiles.
    But in my situation, it's always blurry (refresh is too slow).
    And satellite images has clouds which means I see clouds pasted on the ground.

9. Default

I am having problems with TileProxy and would like to try FSEarthtiles BUT cant seem to find the file anywhere - It is not on the nrmal download link at all not popping up in any search - Has anyone got a copy in zip form please - Pete

Original post - 5 years ago.

Last post - 2 years ago until today

How about starting a new thread?
    -----------------------------------------
    Simon