Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I exclude FSX default airports

Default How can I exclude FSX default airports

I have now decided to divest myself of FS9 and move solely to FSX. I want to port over some of the good FS9 addon airports, where this can be done.

Several I have found look very good in FSX where the various textures are compatible. As an example, with the Freez Zurich I have managed to exclude the FSX default airport buildings with an XML exclude file, except for the default control tower. (I also want to convert the ISD Milan Airport, which appears to have similar issues it is a beautiful flight between these two points over the Alps.)

However I am having lots of trouble with the FSX default aprons, taxiways and airfield itself, bleeding through the FS9 equivalents, the extent being dependent on the angle of view, and the plane chases the textures down the runway on take-off. The same happens with some other sceneries.

I presume that I need to create an exclude? and/or flatten? file to eliminate this problem but so far have been unsuccessful in finding a program that will do this. I have tried Sbuild, SceneGenX, ADE, ExcBuilder, and I could only find one specific instance of this problem being raised on the forums by neighbour Rob Halmich (maxam66)
    but the issue did not appear to be ever fully replied to, and he came to our flightsim club meeting last Friday but was no further ahead.

The strange thing is I updated my own FS9 Vancouver International (CYVR42) to FSX (CYVR5) without this problem. Default FS9 buildings and airfield had been eliminated with both an XML exclude and a visible AFCAD for the airfield facilities such as runways, taxiways and aprons, and these excludes survived through to in FSX.

Does anyone know how to exclude an entire FSX default airport?

Nigel
    Vancouver

Are you saying that even after excluding the runways etc with the airport delete record you are seeing FSX runways, taxiways and aprons bleeding through?

If you have parts of the airport bleeding through then have you tried adding a new airport background polygon in FSX.

Nigel,

In SceneGenX click on Sections tab and select Airport Data and in the pop-up menu shows all your airport data all the deletes you need are listed on the right hand column

Thx for your two replies, at the moment non-FS things have piled up on me (darn it!) and I cannot get at this but will do so in a few days and report back to you
    Nigel

Hi Jon and Barrie

I have spent the past couple of weeks on these files, I managed to create the exclude/xml file to get rid of all the default objects but I kept trying to create the delete/xml file but all that would delete was the control tower. I then decided to re-install the FSX SDK which had some more-up-to-date files and all my default aprons, runways etc disappeared, so I guess something wasnt compiling properly before.

Thx for your input, now I have the problem of importing the FS9 airport.

With the Freez Zurich for FS9 I found there were some bgls for the layer of runways, aprons, grass etc and this layer was marginally above the airport base (I had originally thought this was the FSX default bleeding through), I tried flattens to try and bring layers together but no success. I will raise the question at the Freez Zurich forum, it is such nice scenery and its import into FSX seems so close yet so far.

Jon, the AFCAD in Freez Z (FS9) seems to have all the runways and taxiways, but not the aprons. I think this would be a reasonable amount of work for me to add...... BUT, I cannot convert this existing AFCAD file to FSX, it disassembles to an XML okay but has a great string of errors when I try to re-compile with the FSX conversion program, not worth the hassle. Is there any way that an FS9 AFCAD can be imported into your ADE and re-created?

Nigel
    Vancouver

ADE can read AFCAD2 files directly just use Open from Bgl. If you can't get it in then send me the file(s) and I will take a look for you.

Jon

Thx for your response. I succeeded in opening up the Freez lszh AFCAD in your ADE but when compiling had the same big stream of errors. It looks like ADE might let me go through these and correct them but subsequently I have had a response from the FreeZ forum and the team are to be working on updating their version to FSX. So no need for me (nor yourself) to waste my time on this airport, I will move onto another I want to import and no doubt will be back seeking your counsel again!

thx
    Nigel
    ps ADE seems to be a great program, like its predecessor, AFCAD

AFCAD is the ideal tool for airport creation. It is so easy to use, gives you full control except is missing one vital feature.....the ability to exclude a certain area in FS. In the documentation it talks about them implementing this in the future but I have not seen an AFCAD3, this would make thing so easier for people. Excluding scenery can be confusing and problematic!

Also, believe it or not....exclusion code is actually XML code inside a .bgl file. This is how I used to exclude stuff but I have forgotten the technique. I have not done scenery in ages, tho my other back up HDs have my original gmax directory with all my modeling data....I should probably hook that puppy up and I can share some of that info here.
    Last edited by Biohazard; 03-04-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
    AFCAD is the ideal tool for airport creation. It is so easy to use, gives you full control except is missing one vital feature.....the ability to exclude a certain area in FS. In the documentation it talks about them implementing this in the future but I have not seen an AFCAD3, this would make thing so easier for people. Excluding scenery can be confusing and problematic!

Also, believe it or not....exclusion code is actually XML code inside a .bgl file. This is how I used to exclude stuff but I have forgotten the technique. I have not done scenery in ages, tho my other back up HDs have my original gmax directory with all my modeling data....I should probably hook that puppy up and I can share some of that info here.
    There will be no AFCAD3 from Lee Swordy. Lee has retired from flight sim utility design. There are three FSX capable replacements however: AFX which is payware from Flight1, FSXP Planner (java based) and free, and Airport Design Editor (ADE) which I am the author of and is the tool Nigel mentions above. All FS9 and FSX bgl files are compiled from XML code that describes the elements such as the exclusion rectangles you mention above.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyduck View Post
    There will be no AFCAD3 from Lee Swordy. Lee has retired from flight sim utility design. There are three FSX capable replacements however: AFX which is payware from Flight1, FSXP Planner (java based) and free, and Airport Design Editor (ADE) which I am the author of and is the tool Nigel mentions above. All FS9 and FSX bgl files are compiled from XML code that describes the elements such as the exclusion rectangles you mention above.
    I love you man, where I can see this "Airport Design Editor". I'm hoping its as powerfull as AFCAD and easy to use! Otherwise, I love you no more, lol.