Thread: Crop Dusting Missions? Add Ons?

1. Question Crop Dusting Missions? Add Ons?

Hello simmers,

Just joined the forum as I've been searching for any add-ons that simulate crop dusting/top dressing. There doesn't seem to be any currently, even though I recall an earlier version of FS had some dusting missions.

Is there an add-on that I've missed?

Cheers & thanks!

Allan

Default Crop Duster Add-ons

Hello vmx,
    Welcome to the Message Boards

There are several add-ons regarding to crop dusters. Log into the Flightsim site, go to the mian menu, and Search File Libraries using the "search for text option".

I can't recall an adventure in any of the default MSFS simulators back through FS2000 using a crop duster, but it's a good idea. I remember, way back in around 1970 I toured the Piper factory in Lock Haven, PA and one of the most memorable aircraft was seeing the crop duster. I was just thinking the other day that it could make a great adventure. You must have read my mind. :-)

Herk

FS5 had a cropdusting mission using the 182RG! There was a grid laid out by a runway, and you used the smoke system to fly over it and turn squares of the field white.

4. Default Adventure/Mission Needed?

Quote Originally Posted by NikeHerk67 View Post
    I was just thinking the other day that it could make a great adventure.
    I'm surprised one of the add-on companies hasn't picked-up on the idea of making something for aerial agriculture - maybe something along the lines of the following:

1. Model some detailed fields complete with fences, powerlines & buildings.
    2. Model some gnarly ag strips.
    3. Model coverage and efficiencies.
    4. Start the pilot out with a Pawnee & progress to larger & more expensive a/c as proficiency builds.
    5. Topdressing & fire-fighting missions.
    6. How about a virtual Aerial Ag company? Internet multi-spraying?

Sounds like a great idea.

I never miss flying an adventure. As for FS5, I probably didn't fly that sim more than a few hours...and I was really bad at it too. :-) There just wasn't enough of the world in it yet. Once I realized what they did with the whole world in 98 and 2000, I really caught the bug and waved bye bye to Janes forever. I would like to see a modern day Strike Commander type sim with the missions and story line. I really loved that back in the DOS days.

If you look at the related posts below, you'll see some folks are doing some dusting. I remember seeing a crop crop duster for the first time outside of Dover, Delaware. I drove around following the guy for a whole morning. It was great to see a really BOLD pilot at work.

I hope you find what you're looking for in here and get interested in the hobby. There is about any type of flying you can imagine, and experts in every aspect....me not included. I'm into navigation, some vintage, some more ventage and a bit of modern. I still like the old steam guages vs the glass panels and flight directors. I don't even like programing my coffee pot to come on at the same time every day, let alone a whole flight from beginning to end.

Herk

Quote Originally Posted by rayN5432H View Post
    FS5 had a cropdusting mission using the 182RG! There was a grid laid out by a runway, and you used the smoke system to fly over it and turn squares of the field white.
    I used to play that for hours as a kid, then mess around with the experimental! What memories!!!

When I was growing up, my father flew crop dusters, spray planes was what we called them. He always said it was the most fun anyone could have with their clothes on!

Some mornings he would fly out at the break of dawn to fly out in New Mexico to spray wheat fields. The flagger would have to leave out much earlier and meet him out there. He would empty his tank and then land on a dirt road, meet the flagger who would be pulling a tank of chemicals, reload and keep on flying. They needed flaggers, someone to show where he should line up on each pass. This was before GPS that they have now. The guys now days make a race track pattern when spraying, back then they had to make a tight turn and line up against the last pass.

Ag-Cat I believe was his bird of choice, but I do remember some Cessna's and Pawnee's in the mix.

More than once he'd fly back to the hanger with corn stalks and such hanging off the landing gear!

I just don't see how it would be the same on a sim, one has to rely on peripheral vision and be a good judge on how low to the ground to be. A good spray plane pilot keeps the plane just a few feet off the ground in order to have keep the spray from drifting too much.

No one mentioned how they use Helicopters a lot, now a days, especially around tight quarter (ie: power lines, etc). GPS ain't going to help you with that :-). But, curiously, I've seen both helicopter, and 'flagger & Ag-Cat' working adjacent fields, a couple of times (vegatable crops). Helicopters usually come just before dawn, or just before dusk (for wind consideration, I guess). When young and on road somewhere (in Texas) my Dad would always pull over to watch them work (he was a AC mechanic on a Carrier in WWII). Never forget those times.
    Chuck B
    napamule