Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is DX10 Preview?

1. Default What is DX10 Preview?

Just to set the stage for the question:

I have FSX/Acceleration installed on Vista 32 with 8600 GTS graphics card.

I keep reading references to SP2/DX10 preview. I have read Phil's blog entry where he introduces that language.

I still don't understand what "preview" means. Preview of what? Is it partial DX10? Am I running DX10 or no? Confused. The blog entry seems to suggest that the full feature set of DX10 in FSX was not applied/enabled. I just am not sure.

So, is there something I am to enable in the sim's UI to run in DX10 Preview mode or am I automatically there?

Derrick

2. Default RE: What is DX10 Preview?

Funny thing about asking a question out of your confusion...the question often comes across as confused, as well.

Gained some clarity over lunch. What confuses me is that I see posts about people turning DX10 preview on and off, which I don't understand. I am not familiar with that function/option.

In regards to Phil's post, I am pretty clear on what he says there.

dcm

Default RE: What is DX10 Preview?

Check the box under Graphics settings.

Vic
    P3D Rig
    I7 3770K @ 4.73ghz Asus Sabertooth Z77 16G G.Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 2T 2 x EVGAGTX780 SLI Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF 942 - Corsiar H100i Liquid Cooler W7 64 Home Premium.

4. Default RE: What is DX10 Preview?

Thank you, Vic...will do.

dcm

>I still don't understand what "preview" means.
    >Preview of what? Is it partial DX10? Am I running DX10 or no?
    >Confused. The blog entry seems to suggest that the full
    >feature set of DX10 in FSX was not applied/enabled. I just am
    >not sure.

The reason it was labelled a preview is because ACES realized that it would take too long to fully implement DX10 into FSX, try to take advantage of all the features it has and get it running stable. So, they have decided that it's time to get to work on FS11, and pack it in with FSX. That meant leaving the DX10 work in something of an unfinished state. So, they labelled it a preview so that people wouldn't get their expectations too high when using it. Unfortuanately, DX9 still reigns supreme in FSX, and will until FS11.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600, 9800GTX+, 4GB, Win7 HP 64-bit, TH2GO, 8 GoFlight, CH [Eclipse Yoke, Throttle (Pro and Quad), Combat stick, Pro Pedals], Saitek [Yoke, pedals, X52], TrackIR 3

Unfortunately, that is all to clear to me now, sc.

The "preview" us unplayable on my machine. I have to consider this an unfulfilled obligation on Aces part considering that many of us made expensive hardware purchases based upon the promise of DX10.

Thanks for you clarification.

Derrick

I'm not familiar with the features of most of the video cards available today. Is the 8600GTS DX10 capable ?

Cal - CYXX

According to nVidia it is...a quote from their website:

Full support for both Microsoft® DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 for unparalleled levels of graphics realism and performance

But, if I understand it correctly (no promise on that one) since I am running Vista I am running DX10. But the SP2 was to enable FSX to take advantage of DX10 in some way it could not before.

Again, I don't know for sure. One place says we are waiting for DX10 and another says I have it already and another says even though Vista says DX10 FSX is using DX9...so, I don't know.

I did see a wonderful improvement in the quality of textures with SP2. But when the "preview" is enabled I drop from 20 to 10 fps. Without it enabled I saw no performance increase but the depth and color of the textures was nicely improved.

Derrick

All versions of Vista include DX10. They also include DX9 for compatibility with existing DX9 games, including FSX. With SP2, ACES added a DX10 preview that added some support for DX10, though it was not fully implemented (hence calling it a preview). If you have Vista, a DX10 video card (any GeForce 8x00 or Radeon 2x00 series card) and SP2 you can enable the DX10 preview.

loki