Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX Dedicated Server??

Default FSX Dedicated Server??

Hey all,

I have been searching around on this subject and as of yet, have not found what would even remotely be considered a satisfactory answer to this question, so I will ask it.
    First off though, if this is not where this type of question belongs, I apologize, I just couldn't quite find a forum that seemed to fit.
    On with the question, is there a way to run an FSX Dedicated Server, one that will run 24/7 that players can connect to whenever they just want to fly Multiplayer with someone?
    If so, could someone please supply detailed, step-by-step directions for the setup of said server?
    This is a SERIOUS inquiry, I run dedicated servers for other games like Counter-Strike: Source and have developed a small but loyal base of players and we have all discussed this and would like the idea of doing this. We are from different areas of the country, so we can't always log on at the same time. We would really like to be able to run this and possibly a Combat Flight Simulator 3 server as well.

http://www.wvridgerunners.com/images/fs-banner.jpg
    -=Capt Fuzzy=-
    KHTS - Huntington, WV

"Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

Default RE: FSX Dedicated Server??

*BUMP*

To avoid getting lost. :D

-=Capt Fuzzy=-
    KHTS - Huntington, WV

3. Default RE: FSX Dedicated Server??

Try here

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/

I use it for the virtual airline I am working on. It lets FS2002, 2004 and FSX fly together.

Yes, but FSHost is a work-around. It makes a connection by using the multiplayer interface from FS-2002/2004. But with FSX any of the multiplayer features won't be available.

As far as I know, there is no real FSX server, you'd have to be running a computer with FSX on it 24/7.

That's kinda what I thought... :(

-=Capt Fuzzy=-
    KHTS - Huntington, WV

Hi Capt Fuzzy,

There's actually a couple of issues with what you propose. For starters, most servers do not offer support for separate GPU's (graphics card) like our multimedia and gaming machines do. Most servers employ only onboard graphics so there may not have enough graphics "horsepower" to run FSX very smoothly. Servers are designed and built to concentrate on processing power, storage, connectivity and of course, security. They are also built for maximum uptime which is why they have features like hot swappable drives and power supplies.

Technically speaking, there's nothing stopping you from installing a server O/S on a multimedia or gaming machine as long as it's properly licensed. Heck, I've even installed server O/S's on laptops just to poke around and see where everything is but then you'll probably run into another issue with application licensing. The application has to be licensed to run with multiple users connected. When you run a server centric network the server knows exactly how many users are connected at all times. The application may not permit you connect more than one user at a time. For instance, I do a little bit of web development on a non-professional basis and one of my favorite apps is Fireworks (an app dedicated to producing web graphics). I have a small pier to pier network which is a network where all of the machines are connected without a dedicated server and as soon as I try to access Fireworks from a second machine I get a message telling me that it's not licensed for more than one machine.

Hope the above helps answer your question.

Mike :)

I appreciate your reply and explanation.
    I also dabble in webdesign and development, just a hobby of mine.
    The server box I use was actually built for gaming, but it is a little out of date. I'm sure the computer could handle running the game, the only thing that worries me is that the OS won't like it. I'm running Windows Server 2003 on it.
    The licensing thing was another thing I considered, but since I haven't tested the idea out yet, I have no idea if that would cause me any problems or not.
    Hosting games like Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat has been a blast, but they also allow for a "console-based" server to run for connecting other players together to play matches, you don't have to run the full-blown game to run the server for the game, you do have to have all the same files (maps, sounds, etc) that you would have in the actual game, it just doesn't run the same way on the server due to the console interface.
    I was hoping that FSX or CFS might have something similar. It didn't surprise me that there wasn't anything like this included with the games, hell, the games I host now didn't come "stock" with the server software, I had to download the software from the company that makes these games to run the servers for them.
    Ah well, if I can't do it, I can't do it.., I was just wondering if it was possible. That's me, always thinking... :D

-=Capt Fuzzy=-
    KHTS - Huntington, WV

The answer is yes, one can have a dedicated "server" running an FSX Multiplayer Session 24/7.

However, given the fragility of the current multiplayer implementation, it will undoubtedly require someone to keep a close "watch" to make sure it is restarted whenever needed... ;)
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

9. Default RE: FSX Dedicated Server??

How do you make a dedicated FSX server other than connecting to Gamespy 24/7? Is there a way other FSHost to make this connection? Or to allow people to connect to you? WHat am I missing here?

>How do you make a dedicated FSX server other than connecting
    >to Gamespy 24/7? Is there a way other FSHost to make this
    >connection? Or to allow people to connect to you? WHat am I
    >missing here?

You cannot. All third-party software used programs their own, unique multi-player environment, and is not compatible with the GameSpy network at all.

For an example of a working, dedicated 24/7 multiplayer server using the FSX/GameSpy network, visit http://fs-web.com
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...