Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX Startup Times, very LONG

Default FSX Startup Times, very LONG

When I start up FSX it takes a VERY LONG time to load, like it seems 2-3 minutes before the splash screen goes away and the main screen is displayed.

Is anyone else having this problem in slow loading times?

Many thanks for any input.

Blog Entries

Default RE: FSX Startup Times, very LONG

Hi Jim,
    I was amazed at how fast the default FSX loaded compared to my gradually bloating FS9. I also noticed that as soon as I started adding AC and AI planes and extra traffic, it was noticeably slower loading. As you add features, AC, scenery, etc. it is going to be slower. It also needs occasional DEFRAGGING to get all the little scattered pieces back together. Defrag first, check for other apps running that slow things down. Check for spyware, malware and those sorts of things, too.
    IF you've been adding to the fsx install, realize that's just part of the price of enhancing...

Loyd
    Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

I find that at times it can take a while, sometimes it takes half the time to load. I generally start up FSX, go get a drink and come back and start playing.

Of course, not an alcoholic drink. Say no to alcohol while flying. lol

I did see a post here somewhere where someone suggested a desktop link straight to the default flight.... bypassing the startup. You might want to do a search for that. I imagine this will be a lot quicker.

4. Default RE: FSX Startup Times, very LONG

My FSX takes about 2-3 minutes to start up also.

As the previous posts stated, not a lot can be done about it.

I defragg my hard drive every week and that seems to help.

Guys,

Many thanks, I'm glad at least that I'm not alone. If anyone finds that link to bypass the usual startup, I'd appreciate it.

There is a known problem with FSX preloading the default flight and then reloading when you say go fly. One of the Aces team (Phil Taylor?) gave a work around that seems to help. In your fsx.cfg add a line in the MAIN section...

(Main) square brackets, of course.
    DisablePreload=1

I added it just below the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION line.

Phill

Phil,

Many thanks,

Blog Entries

Hmmmm.

First I've heard of this tweak. Let's test it
    pre tweak:
    First boot, 60 sec.
    close.
    second boot, 40 sec.

install tweak:
    third boot, 38 sec.

I know that the default flight takes more than 2 seconds to load so the tweak doesn't seem to be doing anything. Also tried it in the 'startup' section. No effect and the entry wasn't there after shutdown/rewrite.

The only thing that's made any detectable difference for me is moving FSX to the very front of the C drive - scenery and textures at the front for fastest access (I originally had it on partition 3, cause that's where the free space was). Framerates are a little better and it also seems smoother. Still about 13 at KLAX (all settings midrange, Ultimate Traffic, 10m mesh) with 35 out in the mountains where I like to fly the most.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying: FSX Acceleration on Win7/64, Core Duo E8400; GA-EP45-DS3R; GTX 460-768MB; 4G RAM; Freezer 7 Pro

Here's the orignal forum entry. It was posted by Adam Szofran of Aces.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...6193&mode=full

That forum discussion has lots of folks who timed it. It seems to work for me, but I just tried and you're correct in one area. I removed the line and here's what I saw

Load FSX - 45 seconds to free flight screen
    Exit FSX (as soon as possible do next)
    Load FSX - 15 seconds to free flight screen (and so on)

When I first applied it I was convinced it was doing good but I think you need to time it from a fresh boot up to see the full benefits. Anyhow, it doesn't seem to hurt and if Adam Szofran says it works, I'm happy. :)

Phill

EDIT: hmmm - I just read that forum again and it appears someone tested it and perhaps the load time just shifts to another part of the overall cycle? He reported total load times to be equal.

Well its interesting. I tried the method of putting the line in after the Startup and it appeared to work, until I did a complete fresh boot up, the next day. Then my startup time went back to the normal sluggishness. So perhaps a move to the front of the drive is a better solution, I may check that one out.

At any rate the suggestions and dialog is appreciated.