Thread: fsx multiple monitors

Default fsx multiple monitors

Just thought I would share my flight sim set up in case anyone is considering 3 screens. I was playing with the idea of having three monitors, especially now that they are coming down in price, but I did a couple of tests and found that when I put the 3 views (in boxes) on the same screen and had the background main screen zoomed out to .30 (the widest view) I could see more with the single zoomed out image and there isn't a weird bending of the horizon when you go up or down. The problem is that on a normal monitor 19 or 20 inches it was difficult to read the instruments and see runways etc. (I'm talking about virtual mode, (the only way to fly). So I got a magni- viewer (a device that goes in front of your screen to magnify it)that increased the relative size of the screen to 40". But I just redid my basement and got a projector...WOW...now I can sit 5' from the 100" screen and with the image zoomed out it gives you true perspective (I've flown many small planes) and you can see your instruments clearly (although I wish even better, maybe with HD versions). All to say I think this is much better than 3 screens. My dream set up would be 3 projectors on a 180 wrap around screen. By the way my AMD 4200+ with nvidia 7900GTX is giving me 30fps with weather, planes, traffic at ultra high but terrain at low. Hopefully VISTA will help.

Default RE: fsx multiple monitors

Hi,
    With respect, I think you're missing the point when it comes to multiple windows/ monitors.

The point being that the extra two monitors should be there to allow you to view left and right.

Yes, that's left and right, just like looking out the left and right windows of the aircraft.
    These extra monitors should not really be used to extend the main forward view...that would be a waste of monitors.

Having a huge, huge, huge forward view only, won't, repeat won't allow you to see 90 degrees to your left..or right!!

All you'll get will be a horrible perspective distortion of the front windscreen.

Try it and see, you'll be amazed once you've got it all set up correctly.
    Setup your side monitors as they were meant to be for a real thrill!!

Hello,
    I use 3 monitors but to move some windows like 2d cockpit, radio, GPS, FSNav (when available), ASv6 to 2 of the monitor and flying in spot view.
    Emile EBBR Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,
    SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot .Win7 Pro X64

Hey Coolan:
    I'm curious whether you use your 3 monitors in 2d or virtual mode. Also, just to clarify, you can see 90 degrees when zoomed out, try it. Pause a frame with your 3 monitors and look at the extreme left and right, now zoom out on one monitor and do the same, you will see a greater degree of landscape when you're zoomed out. When I'm turning base to final I don't have to pan, I just look to the left or right side of the screen. Trust me, it's very cool and not at all distorted. I'm flying FSX now and they have changed the look when you zoom out. In fs9 it looked like you were looking through a wide angle lens when you zoomed out, now the perspective is closer to what your eye would see (better for the big screen). I was going to add a second 19" screen for the instruments, but they have improved the 3d cockpit so much, with virtually all your buttons and dials working, that I found I don't need it. Also, it's nice to look around the different cockpits and feel like you're really in it. Either way triple monitors or big screen is definitely an improvement over a single screen, if you can do it. I'm waiting for someone to develope a full motion capsule for simming, that you can put in your basement with a 180 wrap around screen, HD graphics and surround sound. Then it would be as real as it gets!

You can pretty easily build your own motion sim.
    Build a JoyRider http://www.acesim.com/main.html (enclosed version), setup three projectors using the matrox triplehead and add a sound system.

I had seen the joyrider before...looks interesting, if you have some serious cash check this one out
    http://www.inmotionsimulation.com/M-4.html

Hi Pwarren et al,

Put it this way, if you are looking at the world through a non-curving, eg: flat "windscreen..even one that stretches out to infinity each way (!), then there is no way you could view scenery that is directly to your left or right without distorting that view.

I agree, a curved monitor, and that's a lot closer than you'd think,would be the ideal, but three monitors set up and positioned as they would be in a aeroplane is pretty good.

I've seen some hideous setups based on "zoom percentages" with the owners of such claiming wonderful, marvellous etc.

Now that's Ok if you want to do it that way, but as you have mentioned, you can get a similar result by just zooming down to 30 per-cent in FSX with a SINGLE monitor.

BUT, you do have very, very bad visual and perspective distortion.

As I said previously, no matter how "wide and long" your front view is, you'll never see 90 degrees to your left or right....never!

...If you can then you have to have very bad perspective distortion which doesn't help your flying experience at all, in fact it would be the opposite.

But if it's fun to do it that way then keep doing it that way, as the vicar said to the nun.

Oh yes, I use both Virtual cockpit and the "real" one.

I have been using 4 monitors with WidevieW by Luciano Napolitana for years now. OK I also do it with 4 computers. Simply terriffic. Have a look over at http://www.wideview.it/wideview.htm . Also has meant 3 copies of FSX which sucks. Still working on FSX set up but FS9 is a treat to use. The updated software for FSX is much better and easier to use. This is my setup:

Regards

Graeme

PS Does anyone know where the screen shots using the 'V' key are stored in FSX?