Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Porting Planes from fs9 to fsx, what works what doesnt

Default Porting Planes from fs9 to fsx, what works what doesnt

I keep seeing these posts about this plane or that, perhaps we can keep one thread on what works, and a few tricks here or there, and as usual I will start.
    2 things out of the box, in EACH texture folder you need to add JPG picture of the plane, and call it thumbnail.jpg. This lets it show up when choosing planes.
    Also, you need to add a line under each flighsim.X called ui_createdby="Name" where name is the manufacturer or else it will show up as UNKNOWN under publisher when your choosing planes.
    Thirdly, before installing the planes, look in the guage folders, anything before 2000 and you can forget it.
    Lastly, what I do is create a fake fs9 folder, put some ini's and cfg's and exes in there, and install my planes there, this way I can look at each one before copying them over to my fsx folder.
    That said, here are my first few successes, failures, and by all means feel free to add to it.

The good:
    Carenado Cessna 182 Q, out of the box and into the sky.
    Carenado Cessna 206, same thing.
    Carenado Piper Dakota, also worked flawless.
    As I like to call them the Flight1 FOUR, which includes the 310, 442, 421, and 152.
    I installed them in my fake folder, patched every one of them to FS9 status, installed all the liveries, and then copied them over. All have worked about 95%. I had some issues with propellers being tranparent, and pulling to one side on takeoff, but that is a known problem.
    I am not a big guage guy, but"
    PSS Concorde and 777 were both flyable. All guages loaded for me, but ive seen on other forums where they have specific issues so e warned before attempting them.
    PMDG 1900D, worked like a charm.

Now the BAD:
    Captain sim 707
    Couldnt get the common guage to load, system would crash, when removed the panel cant be clicked.
    Feelthere ERJ 145, could NOT get the guages to load in the screen, just got a blank panel but plane actually worked without them.
    Fligth1 ATR 72-500, after reading there forums, I tried the load default plane and flight (wow, thats bad), then switch to the 72-500, which got me about all but the big main guages, and the plane flew well.
    RealAir Scout and decathalon, Crashed FSX
    Thats it for now.
    Ill keep you updated and please feel free to add to this list.
    I hope to do one for scenery next.
    I HATE waiting.

2. Default RE: Porting Planes from fs9 to fsx, what works what doesnt

Well your experience goes a bit farther for me but what specs are there for the thumbnail to load??
    To date the only aircraft i have taken over to FSX is the Westland Wessex package, the major problem i have is none of the panels show up IE shift 1-? they are in the panel.cfg but they wont show up in FSX which is annoying cuz i sorta depend on the GPS rather than starting a new thread any ideas????

Default RE: Porting Planes from fs9 to fsx, what works what doesnt

dsvi,
    I shoehorned Hama's BMW 760 Li, with just min cfg edit. Looks and drives good. Panel CAB was accepted. Panel works. I also put DHC-6 Twin Otter/CC-138 Can Forces (Premier Ac Design). I used the beaver panel with it. (Chicilo's 'F-35' panel did not work right). I tried to install Conrad's Chev 1533x2 truck and it messed things up. I got only half a screen (top) with previous view showing (bottom) and finally CTD. Probably due to model, as textures showed ok. Panel did not work, and probably was cause of CTD. Drats! I love that truck. Oh well. NEXT! (haha).

I turn traffic to 25% and go drive in among the AI freeway traffic. (But, since the can appear/disappear at any time, be careful crossing the freeway. I made a crossing, and was 'ok' live, but when I went and did replay, I got hit. And one time it was a jeep, and a semi the next-ouch!!)

They seem to stay around 55 MPH. Passing AI is 'ok', and femder/door banging is 'ok' (no crash, unless you have crash ON). You can drive over bridges now. I am planning long trip (1200 miles one way) 'back home' as we speak.

The specs for thumbnail seem to be in '2 to 1' ratio (256x128x24 bpp to 838x419x24 bpp) and the size is from 8kb to 40kb. I am going by the default thumbnails. Experiment, as you can keep changing size until you 'hit' proper proportions. It still shows, anyway.
    Chuck

I would appreciate your help with the Carenado Cessna 206. I've tried direct install and copying files. Both net me a hard reboot of my machine when I choose to fly the 206.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Jim

Haha there you are, looked all over for this post, couldn't remember the title, I must have went past it 20 times... D'oh

Was it this version of Concorde you had working

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...103127965_.jpg

Did everything work, all the cockpits, effects etc

Really love that plane, she's a beauty, but would like to know what works and what doesn't before I go spend me dosh

Thanks

Just so you know guys our beloved Eaglesoft Citation X also works as well - it's a bit tricky to set up, but well worth it. Should be the same for the Beechjet and Premier One - attempting those tonight

HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Quadro 4000

How in the heck did you get the Citation flying? I'm about ready to pull what little hair I have left out!!

For what it's worth, the Dreamfleet Bonanza did not go well. I had multiple overlapping right seat views for a panel.

Yes, what must one do for the Citation X and Citation II for that matter?

For the 206 I created a dummy fs9 with folder structure, then just copied everything over.
    I got the Dreawings foker 50 and fokker 50 panel working, but it was a struggle, I had to replace 2 guages.
    For the past 2 or 3 fs's ive been porting my favorite helo, the GAZELLE. It was one of the first flightsim aircrafts to use GMAX.
    Alas, most of the guages are the dreaded 98.
    The concorde I got working was the PSS. I will have to take her up again to besure, but some of the msg board posts over there state it does have some issues like stalling.
    The JetCits DC9 were a disaster. I even tried some 3rd party panels but they were a nogo.

V

A couple of more failures:
    PMDG 737
    PSS 777
    Oh, I did get the Feelthere CRJ 200,700 and 900 running, but I had to use the skydecks panel.