Thread: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

Default Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

Prior to reading a few weeks ago about FSX's release (and there were some concerns that MS would kill the FS series after FS9), I was already shopping for building a new system.

After hearing the good news, I decided to hold off. Further, after hearing that FSX would couple well with Windows Vista not unlike FS9 and XP, I really decided to hold off.

The only concern is that Vista will be buggy on release and it may take a while for driver issues on future hardware this fall and maybe into next year to settle down. The last system I built was nearly four years ago with a few minor upgrades inbetween and it has served me well through FS9, but I still cannot max out all the details for decent frames, which was my justification for a new system (along with being able to play newer shooter games at higher settings).

Anybody budgeting right now for the big change this fall? AMD or Intel, it makes no difference to me, just gimmie the best bang for the buck! I was shopping for building an Athlon 64 X2 system until I heard the news. Methinks I'll wait.

Ned

-P4 3.0GHz HT o'clocked to 3.2
    -ASUS P4T533-C
    -2x1GB Samsung PC1066 Rambus
    -XFX 6800GT AGP
    -250GB WD Caviar SE (primary HD)
    -74GB WD Raptor (games only)
    XP Pro

Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

I usually make a new pc every few years to keep up with current Tech; and I normally coincide it with the release of the FS*** whatever.

THe 2006 PC will probably now me spring 2007 once I have seen peoples comments and the fur-ball that will develope once FS X is out.

I have started saving already, as I expect the cost to be "interesting".

Ideally a 4 gig plus CPU 2 or more gig of the fastest ram available at the time.

Dual core everything and water cooled reactor to power it :P

Oh and Windows Vista to boot.

MS will do well out of me in the year ahead.

Ian H

Uh... I'm upgrading! Most definitely upgrading for FSX!

++++
    Kilo-Sierra-Hotel-November. This is November-Six-Three-Six-Echo-Sierra, aircraft type Bravo-Zero-Six, making final approach to helipad landing area.

4. Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

I'm starting to save already. I figure $2300CAD should do it. It usually does. Hopefully the technology will be out and the prices down in time for Christmas. By then it will have been 2 years since my last upgrage, an AMD3400+ w/6800gt vid card. My how the time flies. But can hardly wait for the next FS.

The only thing I am not so crazy about is Windows Vista. As someone that also uses the PC for home theatre, I am not crazy about the new DRM that is supposed to accompany Vista. Especially the HDMI HDCP resolution restrictions. I can only afford a new computer, and don't really want to replace my projector yet. Oh by the way have you ever seen FS on a 100" big screen it's awesome.

Bring on FSX

5. Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

Upgrading is a must. A good upgrade should last 2 versions of fs.

kurtvoss Guest

nah i dont need to! Computers fast enough as it is.

7. Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

"how time flies"? You've only had your system for a little over a year!!!

8. Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

That's pretty good for me. I used to be on a yearly upgrade schedule. Now by the sheer force of internal fortitude, and a wife who won't have any more of it, I have to wait 2 yrs. ;-)

9. Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

>THe 2006 PC will probably now me spring 2007 once I have seen
    >peoples comments and the fur-ball that will develope once FS X
    >is out.

I would wait until at least DX10 hardware is available. You don't want to buy a new video card that won't eventually work with DX10.

10. Default RE: Who plans on a massive upgrade for FSX?

I'm going to have to buy a new computer, upgrading my current one isn't worth it, but I'm going to wait and see what will be good for FSX. I'm not going to "jump the gun" so to speak.