Hi Sim Friends,
After Ranansides FSM disappeared, I purchased FsAOM, installed and ran it with success. I read all the articles here in the forum and it was shocking. While studying Manfreds Manual, I realized that he promises updates but doesn't deliver. For instance the Environment tool. I got the impression that he's been off all of 2006.
Here are some first experiences and wishes for future versions:
1. I have my scenery addons on a different D:\ drive than the FS9. The scenery mgr doesn't seem to accept this. When I add a scenery, its only added with "addon scenery\" instead of D:\addon scenery.
2. At first run, AOM prompts to install all a/c, which I did - It installed all IVAO and other AI a/c too, which I had to remove one by one again.
3. I noticed that I have all scenery addons twice now. One in the "addon scenery" folder and another in the "AOM-SceneryLib". I have almost 40GB of scenery, what a waste of HD space.
4. I zipped (packaged) my CaptSim 757 folder. It took about 45minutes. I'll never do it again.
5. I put all of my heavy Photoreal Scenery into the AOM lib. It took about a day to do that. Now, when I open the "View Scenry Lib" within AOM, you hear the CPU running until red hot. Conclusion: Do heavy addons by hand, it's much faster.
Realize that this is supposed to be a positive critic. It's ment to pass along hints for the developer and user. Yes, it would be proper and decent for Manfred to give more ear to his customers.
Would I buy this again? It depends on how the support and further development of this nifty tool will be. To Manfred, thanks for all your enthousiasm and promises of 2005 - please continue.
Folks, God bless you all.