Thread: package zip ?

Default package zip ?

I was under the impression that when I moved an aircraft to the hanger that this program zipped that aircraft there by reducing the amount of space the aircraft is taking up on my hard drive. So I moved all but a few aircraft to the hanger. At the time I had 800mb left on my hard drive but now I have 100 mb left on my hard drive so this is actually using more hard drive space. I went to my FS9 and started it up and found that actually I can load all my aircraft? They are still there; nothing has been moved or zipped. So either I miss understand what the program does or I am using it wrong. Help please.

Thank You,
    Ken

2. Default RE: package zip ?

Hi Ken,

sorry for the delay of this but just learned that thsi forum software "queues" posts before they appear here... sorry for that.

The "To Hangar..." button actually copy the addon. Therefore, if you don't want it anymore in FS, hit the "Delete" button in the FS200x View as well.
    There's a specific time-saving reason for that. If it would MOVE back and forth, rezipping to the hangar would be necessary every time, which could be very time-consuming with large addons such as A/C with lots of liveries.
    In conclusion, once you sent an A/C to the Hangar, you may safely remove it from FS.

Manfred

Default RE: package zip ?

Thanks for the reply. I got to thinking about this and realize what I wanted I don't think I can have. I was wanting to cut down on the space certain aircarft were using. I will fly two three aircraft awhile and then want to change to keep my skills up and my knowledge of start up and shut down. I fly only add on aircraft and remembering all the procedures is tricky. Anyway I wanted to still have the aircraft installed but wanted it zipped in the hanger and not in FS9 any more. Then when I wanted to use it just unzipp and it is ready to fly. But you can not do that cause if you remove it from the FS9 you would have to reinstall it. So actually that is what I have done. I have removed all FS9 aircraft. I just moved them to an external hard drive that is much larger. I have tried moving them back also and they work just fine. So I am left with just add on aircraft.

Now I am trying to figure out just what the best use for your program is for me because I do not want to have copies on my hard. Really I can't use your program right now cause with my add on aircraft, and some third party AI and weather, programs I am using 27Gig already. However I am not disappointed in your softwear, its a good program. Eventually I will be getting new lap top with two 80 Gig hard drives and I will be able to utilize it to manage things as I intend to have nothing on this new lap top but FS9. Thats all I have on it now. It will not take long to fill 160 Gigs once I start adding all this new secenry.

I would like to ask you for a personal opinion. I have a 350 Gig external hard drive. But my lap top is 4 years old. Intel Pentium 4 but only 1.3 speed. I have 1 Gig ram though which helps. Cause I am able to run aircraft that require 1.6 or better without problem, Ie; PMDG 747, 737, Feelthere ERJ, Captain Sim 747. I have all the Reality XP products and my computer runs all this and maintains 20-21 fpm. Of course I have FS9 display setting almost all at med, except for aircraft and lighting wich are both on high. That also means that when I land at night my frames drop to about 10. What I was thinking was putting all my FS9 stuff on my external hard drive, the problem here is that it would be running through a USB cable and I think that would slow things even further but I am not sure. The reason I have not tried it is that it reqires me to uninsatll everything and reinstall its a lot of work but the real problem is that there is only one computer that I have occasional access to that I can reinstall my aircraft with. Most of my aircaft were bought through Flight1 there wrapper requires that you are connected to the net when you reinstall. Last time I did something like this it took me two months to get everything back up so I do not want to make this switch unless I am pretty sure that it will not slow my FS9 to much. So what do you think? Of course this would also let me take advantage of your program to manage everything.

Sorry for such a long E mail, but I though since you are obviously very experianced with FS9 and programing and all that you might have a suggestion. If it is a bad idea say so please. I can wait 6 more months when I get my new puter which will have 16 Gig of ram yeah bud 16 gig and the best G Force card out 3.86 speed. Killer lap top 34lbs 17 inch screen and $7,000.00 lol.

Anyway thanks
    I like yourprogram it was worth the dollars spent eventually I will get to use it.

Ken

PS. Please excuse the typing as I just came in from 16 hr convoy and I am real tired. That is 16hrs to cover 120 miles lol roads are terrible here in IRAQ.

4. Default RE: package zip ?

Ken,

Anyway I wanted to still have the aircraft installed but wanted it zipped in the hanger and not in FS9 any more. Then when I wanted to use it just unzipp and it is ready to fly. But you can not do that cause if you remove it from the FS9 you would have to reinstall it. So actually that is what I have done. I have removed all FS9 aircraft. I just moved them to an external hard drive that is much larger. I have tried moving them back also and they work just fine. So I am left with just add on aircraft.

That's exactly how FS-AOM does it. Maybe we misunderstood eachother somehow.
    First off, FS-AOM allows you to configure separate folders (on separate drives if needed) for the Hangar Folder and for the folder where ZIPped addons are stored. So you can easily have the latter (or both) on your big drive.
    A normal example how you get a plane off your FS9 to Hangar (compressed) and back in:

1. In the FS9 View click on the aircraft and Click "To Hangar...". This makes a copy of it in the Hangar. Then click "Delete" to remove the aircraft from FS9. (no uninstall, it removes just what's in the aircraft's folder!)

2. In the Hangar view click on that Aircraft and click the "ZIP" button. The plane gets compressed. All files, excepted those needed to display it in the Hangar such as CFGs, will be compressed and removed from the Hangar folder.

At this point, instead of having 23MB used up in FS9, you have some 2.5MB used in your Hangar-Packages folder.
    To fly this plane again, you have two options:

3a. In the Hangar View click the aircraft, checkmark the liveries you want to have back in FS and click "To FS2004...". FS-AOM will automatically unpack everything back to FS9 and your plane's back!

or

3b. In the Hangar View checkmark the liveries you want to fly and click "Fly this aircraft". Choose a prestored flight and other options and hit "Fly". Your plane's brought back to FS9 and FS9 being started up with that aircraft in that livery using that flight (airport/runway etc.). After you terminated FS9, FS-AOM will ask you whether you want to keep the just added plane/liveries in FS9 or remove it again right away.

I hope this explanation makes it a little more clear how straight forward FS-AOM works.

Manfred

Default RE: package zip ?

Thanks yes I did misunderstand when you said hit delete then I just figure ok it is removed but did not understand how easy it would be to fly it again and storing it on my external that would also save space. Computer does not run great when it is so full. Anyway thanks I will work with it the next couple of days. I will let you know if I have any problems,

Thanks again,
    Ken