Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DF Archer II and Cherokee 180 Differences?

Default DF Archer II and Cherokee 180 Differences?

I had the pleasure of going to the Toys For Tots Fly-In breakfast at KAVP in northeast Pennsylvania this past weekend and met two Pilots from New York who flew in. They took me on a scenic around the area in a 1967 Cherokee 180. I noticed we were cruising at 3000 and the airspeed peaked around 139 knots. The pilot showed me the Garmin GPS and it showed 127 knots. In the DF Archer I only get it to max out about 115 - 120 at about 80% power. (I never asked what power setting the 180 was at.) I was wondering if their was that much difference between the DF Archer and the Cherokee 180. They looked pretty much the same. Thanks.
    Regards,
    Tom

2. Default RE: DF Archer II and Cherokee 180 Differences?

The differences between the Cherokee 180D which I used to fly, and the Archer, which I now fly, are really slight, however they do make a performance difference. The main difference, is the wing design. The 180D uses a constant chord hershey bar wing, while the archer utilizes the same wing found on the Piper warrior which is tapered about halfway out. (Kinda like a Cessna wing). They both use the same engine, and the Archer has an extra window on the side of the cabin. Three as opposed to two. Performance wise, I always thought they flew about the same, but the experts say that the Archer is faster, and climbs better, but with slightly less payload capacity. While the payload capicity difference is there, I have a hard time noticing any speed differences between the two. I do however believe that the Archer/Warrior/Dakota, all the Cherokees with the tapered (warrior) wing, handle slightly better.

Bob J.

PPL, COM, MEL...and still learning

Default RE: DF Archer II and Cherokee 180 Differences?

Our Archer II's speed is just fine, and accurate. I have flown an Archer II without the wheel fairings, and average about 115 knots.
    Of course, a '67 180 is a smaller plane than an Archer, just like a '67 Cherokee 235 is.

Anyway, I would like to have been on that flight, as 139 knots, even in a smaller '67 180 sounds like they had some serious speed mods on the plane.

Heck, my 1980 Dakota cruises at 140 knots, and it can blow the doors off any 180 / Archer without trying!

Yes, the semi-tapered wing on the Archer is superior to the Hershey bar on the 180. Better glide / speed, but it can be float city on landing if you are a wee bit fast! The Dakota is the same way.

KAVP, eh? I used to live there, went to college there (Wilkes), and was out with my girlfriend tonight who is a native of that area (Kingston, PA).

As a disk jockey, I used to do the midday shift at WKRZ FM back in 1982. ;-)

I used to fly into KAVP, but mostly flew into KWBW nearby.

Regards,
    [link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/im...nners/LOU.gif]
    [font size=1][font color=blue]Can you pilot a plane, instead of programming an FMC to do it for you?[/font color= blue][/font size=1]
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

Wow, small world Lou. I went to King's College just down the street. Went to Wilkes for a few party's here and there :-)

Regards,
    Kev

What year was this, Kev?

Yes, I went to Wilkes, and I hosted some great parties myself!

Regards,
    [link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/im...nners/LOU.gif]
    [font size=1][font color=blue]Can you pilot a plane, instead of programming an FMC to do it for you?[/font color= blue][/font size=1]
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

>What year was this, Kev?
    >
    >Yes, I went to Wilkes, and I hosted some great parties
    >myself!
    >

1994-1998, I'm guessing just a few years after you attended. ;)
    Lived at Holy Cross dorm my freshman year, then went off campus to
    N. Main St. for the last 3 years.

Regards,
    Kev

Here's a few differences that I have noted (other than the wing & fuselage lenght):

The Archer that I earned my PPL in (N54RD) has a quadrant-style throttle. My current club '67 180 has a doorknob throttle - like a 172!

The Archer has a trim wheel on the floor next to the flap handle. The 180 has a car-window style crank over my head!

I think the cabin widths may be slightly different, but I have not measured. Have fun!

Bruce Riggs

And I was living in Darien just up the road in 93/94 but Dreamfleet didn't exist then!

John Dow

Canberra

Lou,
    I was born and raised in Kingston also and went to Wilkes myself! I graduated in 1976 and returned in 1981, when I switched careers and finished in 1983 with a degree in elementary education. I met my wife at the Station restaurant and nightclub which I'm sure you remember while WKRZ played live with Tom Welby and Jumpin'Jeff. All this time reading this forum and I never knew. By the way, KRZ is still alive and well and Jumping Jeff is still there!:-lol
    Thanks for the info on the Archer. Yeah, I agree it seemed fast. But that's what the airspeed indicator showed. He never said what engine it had. Regards,
    Tom G.
    Larksville, PA.

P.S. After reading the rest of this thread, it looks like we could have a good ol' Flight Sim reunion with forum members right here in Wilkes-Barre PA!
    :-lol

Oy! Now that's familiar!

I started at Wilkes in '76, and later returned to work at WKRZ in 1981. I did some remote broadcasts from the Station, and even hosted their Halloween party that year. Oh sure, I worked with Jeff Walker, he's still at KRZ in fact!

Later, I went to WMJW, and used to host their Saturday night party at the 25th Hour disco at the Woodlands. This was around '83-84. The Disco is now called "Evolution".

I often flew the 235 into KWBW, and must return with the Dakota some day.

My girlfriend, Sue, is a native of Kingston, and she spends about half her time up there, and half down here in Fort Lee.

We met at a bar here in Fort Lee, when she made mention of Wilkes-Barre and, well, the rest is history!

Small world!

I take it you are still living there, Tom?

Gosh, I could go on for hours!

Send me an e-mail with your phone number, and I'll give you a call.

loubetti@earthlink.net

Regards,
    Regards,
    Lou Betti