Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to perform "one wing low" crosswind landing?

Default How to perform "one wing low" crosswind landing?

There are two main methods for crosswind landing:
    - crabbing (but it requires very good coordination during “kicking off the crab” – aligning aircraft axis with runway axis just before touching down)
    - one wing low (this method is recommended in every book for small GA aircraft, because during an approach aircraft axis is aligned with runway centerline and because the upwind wheel touches first which is much better than touchdown on downwind wheel).

Is any of you able to perform “one wing low” landing in Dreamfleet Archer (or other GA aircraft) in FS9? I have CH Yoke and Pedals but I’m unable to perform this maneuver. It requires flying in crossed controls condition (eg. right aileron and left rudder for right crosswind correction) and always I try this I’m unable to hold steadily required level of bank or fly straight.

Do any of you have any experience with this maneuver? Could you offer me some tips? Or it’s impossible to use “one wing low” method in FS 2004? Or maybe it’s the deficiency of Archer (but Dreamflett Cardinal and Cessna 310 as well) flight model?

Default RE: How to perform

In FS2002 I remember trying very hard to get this to happen but it seems I couldnt get the aircraft to stay in the position. Essentially wing low is uncoordinated flight down the centerline, and Im pretty sure that FS tries to correct uncoordinated flight after a time, even if autorudder is turned off. I just resorted to crabbing in the end. I must admit that I havnt tried the wing low in FS9 yet.

3. Default RE: How to perform "one wing low" crosswind landing?

Rudder effects are very poorly modeled in FS. Another quirk of the rudder response in FS is that, even though it will yaw the plane to one side or the other, it snaps right back to the original heading when you release the rudder. In other words, you don't really get a change of course - just a temporary change of position of the aircraft. Failure to model rudder response makes such things as wing low crosswind landings (or any other cross-control maneuvers), minor alignment corrections on final, slipping, hammerhead stalls, and spinning very unrealistic, or in some cases, impossible.

I surely hope this is something that might be compensated for in future releases since so many flight maneuvers depend on proper application of rudder.

Dewey

Default How to perform "one wing low" crosswind landing?

In his lessons for FS2004 and FS2002 Rod Machado describes "one wing low" landing. I wonder if he ever performed this in FS. If yes - maybe it's possible?

I happen to rather like the rudder effects in FS, and some aircraft will respond rather convincingly. In a "real" plane, at least smaller GA size that I'm familier with, along with R/C's will snap back after quick rudder deflections. Not usually to the exact previous heading though; but the FS planes don't either. The fuselage is trying to re-align itself with the surrounding airstream; as in weather vaning.

Before I left for a day, when reading this initial question, I tested two aircraft in FS2002 (because my FS2004 disc is in the lap top), and this CPU has rudder pedals.

The test was for near 90 degree crosswinds at 10 knots during the landing approach. I checked the RealAir SF260 & default 172 with Ron Freimuth's revised flight dynamics. "Both" airplanes did a good job of landing on one wheel with crossed controls to align with the runway heading. I'm rather impressed, since it had been a while since I really laid in some rudder. Next up, are the Archer & Cardinal. Note: rudder pedals a must!!

Ladamson

Hi Ladamson

Are you able to perform this in Archer or Cardinal?

When I try this maneuver in Archer I start by adding some rigt aileron to put A/C in bank (eg. 10 degrees - just enough to compensate wind drift). A/C immediately banks to rigth and starts to turn right and I'm blocking this turning tendency by using left rudder. I'm holding yoke still but A/C starts to level wings - and I have to add more aileron and at the same time more rudder (to stop turning). Suddenly I go to the point where my yoke is turned right at a unusual angle and I don't have more rudder travel to block turning tendency.

Are you able to hold one wing low attitude for a whole approach - eg. 1/2 nautical mile or are you doing it for a couple of seconds during flare?

Steku

>Are you able to hold one wing low attitude for a whole
    >approach - eg. 1/2 nautical mile or are you doing it for a
    >couple of seconds during flare?
    >
    I havn't got to the Archer & Cardinal yet, but I'm able to hold these settings for a good 1/2 mile. I set the approach for the Ron Freimuth modified 172 to a saved flight for action over & over...... and got some nice "long" cross controlled landings out of it.

Personally.......... in real life, I have a tendency to crab & kick it out. Comes from a solo cross country experience (Piper Archer)in high gusting crosswinds, years ago; and the immediate need to hit the restroom..

Ladamson

Default RE: 152 & FS9 work..

Just did the wing low method in the updated Flight1 152 for FS9. Worked excellent, so add that to the list, and the fact that FS9 works for wing low approaches.

Ladamson

Default RE: 152 & FS9 work..

Hi Ladamson

I have three questions to you:

1. Whats are your aircraft realism settings? I have all sliders (General, P-Factor, Torque, Gyro, Crash Tolerance) maxed.

2. In some Dreamfleet models (like Archer or Cardindal) in Config-O-Matic you can check opition for using:
    "Alternate aircraft configuration. Check only if you use rudder pedals".
    I don't know if this option is available in Cessna 152, but in Archer I have this option checked on. Whats your setting?

3. How many degrees of bank do you apply during crosswind approach? I know that this depends of wind strength, direction and aircraft speed but in general its around 5 to 10 degrees or rather 20? Maybe I'm trying to apply to much bank and then I'm unable to stop turning tendency using ruder.

I'm still looking for something wrong in my settings or in flight model. But if you can fly "one wing low" maybe I simply have to do some more training :)

Steku

10. Default RE: 152 & FS9 work..

1 -- realism settings maxed , always

2- rudder pedal would be checked

3 - I don't pay attention to a specific bank angle. But it's not excessive. What really matters, is do you run out of rudder? As John King use to say in the training video's ....... if you run out of rudder, then find another runway. Of course, a simulated airplane should at least handle the maximum demonstrated crosswind , I would assume. So far, with the planes mentioned, I havn't run out rudder to get the fuselages aligned with the runway centerlines.

Ladamson