Thread: Landing throttle settings in 737

Default Landing throttle settings in 737

I've experimented with large changes in throttle settings in the 737 and gotten some good results when landing. This seems counter to all instructions which are always gentle small adjustments. I seldom lose control with this method, no stalls etc. In real flying would this be "tolerated?" I know in some early planes there were only "on and off" engine speeds.

Default RE: Landing throttle settings in 737

"I've experimented with large changes in throttle settings in the 737 and gotten some good results when landing."
    You say you are experimenting with large throttle changes but for which purpose? When you say you have good results areyou refering that you had an unstabilized approach and still pulled off a nice landing? Did the passengers spit on your face when they walked of they airplane or did they say thank you...

"This seems counter to all instructions which are always gentle small adjustments."
    Hell yes. I judge pilots by the smoothness of their flying, instrument scan, crm, etc... Large movements of anything flight controls or throttles have no place unless you are preventing a disaster. But as a flying style or technique it really has no place in commercial flying. If you hgave your own airplane and want to scare your friends and family go ahead but not with paying customers.

" I seldom lose control with this method, no stalls etc. In real flying would this be "tolerated?" I know in some early planes there were only "on and off" engine speeds. "
    Well, I am glad that you seldom loose control that is definitely a plus. It keeps the FAA from talking to you too often. Would that be tolerated? absolutely not. Being smooth is the art of being a commercial pilot. You know what they say if you can't be smooth at least there is always bowling and other things to try.
    As a captain, if the FO gets behind the airplane and becomes a throttle jockey, I'll say either "my airplane" or "my power". That's because I have to respond to the people back there.

All kidding aside, as a pilot you try to fly in such a way that people can't even feel you moving the contrtols (much easier said than done) I can tell you are not a commercial pilot but that is ther essence of being one. I fly 737 DF just like I fly a real airplane: a learjet, a C172, a turboprop, it's all the same technique, it never changes... Take care, good question, Pedro

Default RE: Landing throttle settings in 737

Pedro,
    Good response and well appreciated. I am not a real pilot, but enjoy the fs. In earlier times I had trouble controlling the 737, especially the default model. I found that by swift and large throttle changes I could avoid disaster without seemingly having much negative effect. I think this had a lot to do with the slowness of heavies to respond especially at slower speeds.
    As my post indicated I was guiltfully aware that this was ill advised "cheating." Your response permanently secured that that notion.