Thread: I have a hardware question (A little long)

klavigne Guest

Default I have a hardware question (A little long)

This may not be the best place to ask this, but the main purpose I want to upgrade is for flight simming (and DF737 is my main plane, so I come to this sit everyday<G>) so it could apply here, so here goes. I am thinking about upgrading to an Athlon XP1800. The main problem I face is whether or not to get the NVidia based 420 chipset or the KT266A chipset. Performance wise right now, they are on a pretty even par. THe NVidia brings with it the network adapter and the sound functions (I won't be using the on board graphics). I am concerned that the NVidia hasn't really taken off yet. It was supposed to be out around September, but kept getting delayed and is just now comming onto it's own. My real question is does anyone have any real ideas about the reliability and performance of it? Especially anyone who actually has 1. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet, but I think it's because there aren't that many out yet. Are the drivers in a good enough state right now, or should I play it safe and get a VIA solution? Any help in making this decision will be greatly appreciated. Either chipset will probably be an Asus product by the way.

Thanks to all

Ken Lavigne

klavigne Guest

Default RE: I have a hardware question (A little long)

bmp