Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: •QUEEN MARY 2 ANNIVERSARY FLIGHTS ARE JUNE 5 & 12•

Hybrid View

Default •QUEEN MARY 2 ANNIVERSARY FLIGHTS ARE JUNE 5 & 12•

Our next sanctioned event is a double header. It’s free and an easy introduction to multiplayer.

The event begins in Geneva, Switzerland on Sunday, June 5 with a flight to Southampton, England to be on hand for the departure of the Queen Mary 2. One week later, on Sunday, June 12, we will meet the ship again as she docks in New York City and then we will fly on to Savage Island, Vermont for a private reception provided by the Cunard Cruise Line for special FS9 guests. You can do either weekend or both; it’s up to you. And, there will be some interesting activities going on during the week as well.

I’ll be piloting the Queen Mary 2 on this transatlantic cruise during the entire week. The cruise will be done in real time using real weather on our Multiplayer Adventures FSHost Server.

If you have FSNavigator, you can connect it to our FSHost server at any time during the week to monitor the ship’s progress. The navigation plan will be public on FSNav. Simply click on “Plan/Open from Remote Computer” in FSNav to display my current route and position. During the week at sea, I’ll be sending pictures and comments back to the Forum as additional posts to this topic. Visit the Forum each day for the latest updates from the ship.

PREPARING FOR THE EVENT

You must have the QM2 in your FS9 Aircraft folder if you want to be able to see the ship.The Queen Mary 2 is freeware by Mitsuya “Hama” Hamaguchi and can be downloaded from http://fs-shipyards.com; the file name is “ship-QM2.zip”. (Be sure to get the correct file; there is an AI version of the QM2 there as well.) As you will soon agree, the QM2 is a remarkable addition to the FS9 world.

You will need to download and install the freeware scenery for Savage Island, Vermont. It is called “mssvt15.zip” by Mark Smith and it is available in the FlightSim.com library. This is a private island airstrip featuring a very nice home and a hangar equipped with skylights and fully animated doors that open and close on pilot command. It will soon become one of your favorite homes in the FS world.

DEPARTURE DAY

Join us in Geneva at 1900 BST (1800 GMT), fly to Southampton International Airport (EGHI) in an aircraft of your choosing, and see us depart. Southampton has a 5,649 foot runway with ILS. You will need to arrive at EGHI in time to be at the ship terminal at 2100 BST (2000 GMT) when the ship is scheduled to leave. This is a 409 mile flight from Geneva to Southampton. After you land, if you have amphibian aircraft or boats in your aircraft folder, you can accompany the QM2 during her departure down the Southampton Water and into the English Channel.

MIDWEEK ACTIVITIES

This is technically an anniversary cruise; the inaugural North Atlantic transatlantic cruise of the QM2 was in April, 2004, so we are but a wee bit late in our celebration. There will be additional posts to this thread all during the week to provide you with pictures from the original cruise and a commentary on events aboard ship. The original cruise was six days in length; ours will be seven because, on Thursday, June 9, we plan to visit the site of the Titanic wreckage in the North Atlantic. We will stay in that area for much of the day to pay our respects to those who lost their lives there in April, 1912.

You are welcome to visit the ship at any time during the cruise. While the ship is not landable, you may rendezvous with it by ship or aircraft whenever you like. Our route will take us about 900 NM south of Iceland and Greenland, and about 350 NM from St. John’s, Newfoundland. Use FSNav to precisely determine the ship’s position or use the FSHost server’s direct internet address (http://82.152.80.185:85) to get the approximate coordinates. You can also contact the ship by Teamspeak or the FS chat box to request its current latitude and longitude; please note that the “radio room” is only in operation during certain times of the day.

ARRIVAL DAY

Fly to LaGuardia International (KLGA) from any airport of your choosing to see the Queen Mary 2 arrive in New York City. You will need to arrive at KLGA in time to be at the ship terminal by 1600 EDT (2000 GMT). If you have amphibian aircraft or boats in your aircraft folder, you can accompany the QM2 up the Hudson River to her dock at the New York Passenger Ship Terminal. We will leave New York City at 1630 EDT (2030 GMT) for the reception at Savage Island (VT15). Savage Island is 236 NM NNE of New York and has a 3,000 foot runway with no ILS.

EVENT REGISTRATION

An advance registration is required to participate in this event and participation is limited to twenty pilots. To register, simply send an email to mp-registrations@flightsim.com. Your registration will be immediately confirmed and later reconfirmed the day before the event. The session password will be sent to you as part of the final confirmation packet and will be in use during both Sunday sessions. Both the FSHost server and the Teamspeak server will require the password for entry. Be sure to review your email and the Multiplayer Adventures forum for any last minute information or changes prior to the event. The cutoff for registration is 1200 GMT on the day before the event and no exceptions are made.

EVENT SERVERS

The flight server IP for this event will be 82.152.80.185. The Teamspeak server will be 68.47.109.128. Backup servers will be in place should they be needed.

Be sure crash detection is turned off before joining the session. (Select Aircraft/Realism Settings and then tic “Ignore Crashes and Damage”.)

The servers will be online the day before the event from 2100 – 2300 GMT to provide an opportunity to test your connections prior to joining the event. Forum moderators will be online at that time to provide assistance, if needed.

The FSHost flight server and the Teamspeak server will be in operation all day on the day of the event. If you have a problem joining either server, come to the other one and announce the problem. Visit the Flightsim.com Multiplayer Adventures Forum for information on alternate server operations.

Since we are expecting a large turnout of pilots for this event and want all participants to have the best connection possible, you may not be able to connect your FSNavigator to the FSHost server once the flight events begin. This decision will be made once we determine the number of pilots that are actually online as that time.

PROBLEMS AND QUESTIONS

If you have problems installing any of the components for this adventure or you have questions, simply post a message on the Multiplayer Adventures forum and one of the moderators will respond promptly. You may also send a private forum message to Geoff or Ed or email them at either Capn_sonic@flightsim.com or LJ922@flightsim.com.

Hoping for a safe passage and looking forward to seeing you in Geneva and New York and perhaps somewhere along the way….

Default RE: •QUEEN MARY 2 ANNIVERSARY FLIGHTS ARE JUNE 5 & 12•

Hey ED,

Sounds like another fantastic multi-player session. Always greatful for the free ride on all the fine work that you and Geoff do, although this one's got your name all over it.

How do we locate the ship terminals in Southampton, and New York? Also is there a specific location for the Titanic wreck site?

Just wanted to mention, while the keyboard's hot, there's an award winning scenery download for KLGA in the library here. lga2004.zip, and don't forget the fix lga2004f.zip for anyone interested. Also found a scenery add-on for Geneva lsgg_123.zip. Doesn't seem to be to bad of a hit on frame rates so far, but I haven't used them in multi-player yet. Don't blame me if they turn out bad during the event when we're all on the server together. "Save the Drama for your Mama."

Looking forward to seeing you and Geoff and the rest of the good times bunch on June 5 and 12. Try to catch up with you in the North Atlantic somewhere during the week in between. See if I can find a submarine to download for that....LOL

Okay bye for now, and thanks a lot,
    salt_air

Hey Austin,

Yes, you will find my fingerprints on this one. Guess the ship gave me away.

It'll be easy to find the ship on the day one of the event 'cause I'll be in it waiting for the rest of you to get to Southampton. There's a pennusula bounded by two rivers in Southampton and that's where the port is. There's another post I made recently here on the Forum about ships in FS and the last pic shows it docked in Southampton. Unfortunately, Mircosoft didn't put a lot of detail there, so I chose the best spot I could.

As for New York, I think it's about right here, but I may be off just a bit one way or the other.

As for the Titanic location, the bow is at N41° 43' 57" W49° 56' 49". It's in three primary sites, all fairly close together.

Thanks for the keys to other scenery addons. Some may want to try those before the events.

And as for the submarine, there is one in the library. I'll be watching for you, me boy. Keep that periscope up high where I can see it.

See you on June 5 if not before.

Ahoy Ed,

Thanks for the locations, I'll be checking them out tommorrow.

Be checkin' in the library for that submersible too. Aye, aye Cap'n, periscope up at all times, unless of course we gotta take a quick dive to avoid what could be trouble......

Sea you soon,,,,LOL
    salt_air

Ok Austin,

Give this one a try if you are looking for a nice sub. It's at http://www.fs-shipyards.com. Look on the downloads page for:

FS2004 WW2 Submarine Collection - By Ron Jeffers

I just sent a little movie to your email address so you can see it in action.

Enjoy.

Excellent, I'll be there. I would like to do a little display for you in a BD-Jet. They're freeware and can be downloaded from:

http://kjohnson.sphosting.com/

Anyone who wishes to see this awesome jet (and me in it!) please download and install (which you should anyway cause it's a beaut to fly)...

I'll register sometime later, do I need to register specially to do a display?

7. Default RE: •QUEEN MARY 2 ANNIVERSARY FLIGHTS ARE JUNE 5 & 12•

>Anyone who wishes to see this awesome jet (and me in it!)
    >please download and install (which you should anyway cause
    >it's a beaut to fly)...

Which variant will you be flying (b, d or j)?

Jet, therefore 'j'! If it's no trouble, please get the airshow textures... for full effect! :P The changed aircraft.cfg also comes with smoke effects alterations (need the Red Arrows).

http://bgen.freeprohost.com/bd5j_airshow.zip

9. Default RE: •QUEEN MARY 2 ANNIVERSARY FLIGHTS ARE JUNE 5 & 12•

Oh well, it doesn't matter... I can still fly...