Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arm the Pilots Petition***Sign Here***

alimaui Guest

Default Arm the Pilots Petition***Sign Here***

I do apologize Jeff for the havoc I have caused. I move my post fo you :)

FOR RL Pilots and Simmers alike!

Sign the Petition for Armed Pilots and Protected Cockpits.
    Not much time left, SIGN IT TODAY!

http://www.apsa@secure-skies.org/

Sonar5 Guest

Default RE: Arm the Pilots Petition***Sign Here***

Ahhh, no havoc, but LMAO anyway.. :-)

I think it is a very worthwhile discussion. Just so people realize, this petition is relevant to United States pilots only flying United States Flag carrying aircraft only.

Joe

http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg

Alicia--

I truly appreciate you stepping up and moving the post over to this forum. If you don't mind, I'm going to shut the other one down now, since I'm noticing more than just a couple of FS2002 questions being pushed so far down that they are not receiving answers.

Anyway, I think most everyone probably looked at that thread already, so if they were interested in signing the petition, they probably already have. However, this thread will last a lot longer, so have at it. :-)

[hr color=gray][TABLE WIDTH="300" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="4" ALIGN="left" BGCOLOR="#E7E7DE"][TR][TD colspan=2][font size=1 color=#005500] If you plan on using a signature banner in your posts, we would like to remind you that there is a maximum size for banners. That maximum is 450 pixels wide by 120 pixels high, and not to exceed 25k. Your compliance is appreciated.
    [/td][/tr][/table][TABLE WIDTH="300" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="3" CELLPADDING="3" ALIGN="right" BGCOLOR=white][TR][TD colspan=2]http://home.earthlink.net/~snyders2000/mod.jpg[/td][/tr][/table]

I hope you are aware of the virus potential of a petition such as this one. The sign up site has been suspended at this time because of a virus.

Ernie

Sonar5 Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-02 AT 06:16PM (EDT)[/font][p]Hi Ernie,

Well, as of 5:12 pm CST, I went there and the site is just fine, and works like a charm.

I also can find no reference to some virus, so it must have been an anomoly. :-)

As to virus potential, I would say NONE....
    Ran my checker, and came up clean across the board... :-)

Best Regards,
    Joe :-wave

Shot showing site working as of 5:12pm CST
    http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...c1321ddfda.jpg

Joe
    Go to the last page and look at the "signature data". It shows it there. The virus is SirCam according to them and it gives a link to Norton for more info.

Ernie

If you read it carefully, it does not say that the site has been infected with a virus. It does not show the e-mail addresses of the signatures so as to prevent the spread of the virus. You cannot get the SirCam virus by viewing web pages.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/Use...a14dff4a40.gif

If you go through the "click here to sign" link and look at the signature page and than clear at the bottom the origionator of the petition states that it has been interrupted due to the virus SirCam. The link on that page to Norton explains the virus.

Sonar5 Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-02 AT 11:40PM (EDT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-02 AT 11:28PM (EDT)[/font]

Ok, Let me try and make this a little clearer.

It is NOT my belief that that site has been infected.

It does not state that it has been interrupted either. That is a FALSE statement.

All it is stating is that it is not displaying the email addresses of those that chose to make their address public. You have two other choices where this will not affect you.

They state:
    " PetitionOnline.com has temporarily disabled the display of email addresses for signatories who chose to make their address public.We have done this to reduce the spread of the SirCam virus which harvests email addresses from the web cache of infected computers.To learn more about the SirCam virus and download a free tool for removing the virus, visit Symantec's virus definition page."

Norton Explanation
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...m.worm@mm.html

The sentence:
    "We have done this to reduce the spread of the SirCam virus which harvests email addresses from the web cache of infected computers."

This means that if a user (Not The Host) had this virus on their computer and viewed the signatures, that users viewed web page would be placed in a cache folder on the users computer. Only if that user had the virus would there be a potential threat. And only if you choose PUBLIC for the choice relating to email publication.

No where on that site does it state they have a virus.

That is pretty clear to me, and no, you cannot get this virus from viewing a web page. You would have to receive the file via email, then be an idiot and open it, then be a further idiot and run the executable file.

So my advice is never ever run an execuateable file received by email, and you will be fine. Or at least do the smart thing and run the file through your virus checker prior to running it. Me, I just delete anything I get whom I don't recognize where it is coming from. CASE CLOSED.

So I would suggest you reading a few more facts on this particular virus before you start running around worrying people for no reason.

Regards,
    Joe :-wave

Edit: IMPORTANT
    THE ONLY WAY TO GET THIS VIRUS IS THROUGH EMAIL.
    This is a qoute from Norton's Website where I researched the actual facts and report them here:

"Technical Details:

This worm arrives as an attachment to an email message with the following content:

Subject: The subject of the email will be random, and will be the same as the file name of the email attachment.

Attachment: The attachment is a file taken from the sender's computer and will have the extension .bat, .com, .lnk or .pif added to it.

Message: The message body will be semi-random, but will always contain one of the following two lines (either English or Spanish) as the first and last sentences of the message.

End Edit:

Ummmm,
    Please forgive my ignorance here, but I signed the petition yesturday. I know little about viruses and do not even own a virus checker nor know how to work one - very bad on my part.
    Anyway, do I need to worry here or am I safe ? Your above repley is a little bit Greek to me :-)
    Again, sorry for my ignorance

Best Regards,

Bob :-wave