Welcome To Military Flight Sims

xxmikexx

Hi Folks,

This is an experimental forum. It's purpose is the discussion of military flight simulators in general. Let's kick things off by listing the military sims we each own at the moment ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Cool.

I have had plenty of them.

The trilogy of Combat Flight Simulator from Microsoft, Falcon 4.0 and LOMAC.

Favorite would have to be Falcon. The worst, believe it or not, LOMAC. Just didnt care for it.

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

Disneyflyer,

I own a number of military flight sims, purchased partly for purposes of testing my erstwhile utility program product, and partly for fun. The ones installed on my flight computer at the moment are ...

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

Falcon IV

LockOn

Pacific Fighters

Combat Flight Simulator 3

I'm just getting into the Sturmovik game, on behalf of which I've applied for membership with an online multiplayer squadron named Aces High, not to be confused with the massively multiplayer game of the same name. I will be flying with them this coming weekend.

I have not looked into the multiplayer capabilities of any of the games, and even my single player combat time is low. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to formation flying, team ground attack, blah blah blah.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

FS Combat Sim 2

B-17 Flying Fortress

Kind of ignored.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/danroman56/danromansigabc.jpg --Dan Roman; Sunland, CA; FSX, Acceleration, ASE, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83 GHz 2.83 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series.

Jane's ATF

Jane's Longbow

Jane's USAF

Novalogic armored fist II

Novalogic F22 Lightning II

MS combat flight sim 1 + 2

IL-2

Lo-Mac

Falcon 4: Allied Force

The only game that still works alright is Falcon4, IL2, and the CFS games

Where are the new quality combat sims?? ARGH!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

• 3 weeks later...

Falcon 4.0 and it's other mods (SP4, FF3,BMS2), including the latest Falcon 4 Allied Forces.

Microprose Gunship! (that's the second title not the original older one)

I do have a lot of the other Jane's series of combat sims (Longbow,USAF, F-15, FA-!8), but don't have them installed now. Since I don't have that much hard drive space and only confine the space now to those I use the most.

So currently if I want to go shooting stuff down. I pick one of the Falcon versions or fly in a helicopter in Gunship!:)

Edwin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/edolosa/signature/ED4Sigbanner2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

eightline,

I should have mentioned that the list of military sims I own and like is much longer than the list of military sims I have installed at the moment.

So Mig Alley is one of my all time favorites, but for a variety of reasons I don't have it installed at the current time.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I am brand new to all the sims, general and combat.

I purchased Falcon 4 allied forces and Combat Flight sim 3 to start my combat and I already had MS2004 for general.

I have tried MS2004 with the keyboard and that isn't very good so

I have a Saitek X52 coming in a few days, it was cheaper then the yoke.

My first question is should I be using a joystick (X52) or buy a yoke and pedals. I am thinking the yoke might be good for the MS2004 and the joystick for the combat, does that make sense?

Next, which combat sim is best to start with...Cfs3 or falcon4, or should I purchase something else to start on?

Thanks,

JerseyFlyer

I have both. I can fly with one type of controller, yoke or stick, but want a bit of that "real" feel according to aircraft type. I really believe that pedals are a must for that feeling as well. Auto rudder is OK, but taxiing, taking off, and landing with those fine pedal rudder movements, just increases the reality.

Now, I flew IL-2 Sturmovik with my yoke, not the stick, and did just fine, but I felt unathentic. Just me. Start with a stick (inexpensive) and, if you don't get that unsatisfied feeling, stay with it. On the other hand.....

Happy landings, chum.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii207/danroman56/danromansigabc.jpg --Dan Roman; Sunland, CA; FSX, Acceleration, ASE, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83 GHz 2.83 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
HI,

I've the old Jane's Longbow 2 and I wasn't able to run it from Vista o Win 7... any hint?

thanks

Have you tried DOSBox?

2.8ghz AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE 4th Core Enabled/Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-U2DH/A-Data XPG 8gb DDR3 1600G/Sapphire 1gb ATI HD 5770/500gb WD Green SATA 3.0 HDD/Diablotek 650w PSU/Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM/FSX SP2/X-Plane 9.40RC16/Catalyst 9.12/SB Audigy 2 Value/Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers

• 2 months later...
I fly with a Saitek AV8R-01 and love it. I also have a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System that includes a Premium flight yoke and 3-lever quadrant module. Unfortunately, the Pro Flight Yoke System usually sits under my computer desk. I fould it bulky and mostly in the way. I tried it for several nights, but enjoy the simplicity of the stick with its multiple switches. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] TurboFIRE

"No accidents in one year"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

~S~

What WW2 combat sim is everyone playing now and where? I used to love playing CFS 1&2 and other stuff on the Zone with my old squad mates, but that was quite awhile ago and I've since lost touch with them.

Thanks,

Thunderossa

(formerly VF15/ST15_Thunder)

Have:

Red Baron II

European Air War

CFS 1,2,3 (well, I HAD the first one until the disc vanished on me...lol)

IL2-AEP-FB-PF

• 1 month later...

Hi, my introduction: Just newly arrived at this forum, looking for info on military flightsims.

I own Il-2 FB and PF.

Basically, that's the only thing I've flow in recent years, besides trying to hold something in the air in Armed Assault. I use a Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless joystick, my cheap solution to not being a hardcore flightsimmer and still being able to effectively use the rudder.

I own a lot of older games, for which I now should install a DOSbox on my Vista PC, like Mi-24 Hind, Fighting Falcon and some others. I decided against that, but I currently do have a strong urge to fly a jet. So I want to purchase a (relatively) new sim and looking here for additional info. I'm mainly looking at LOMAC and Strike Fighters.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had falcon 4.0 installed buy since I have windows 8 installed it runs kinda crappy. No fullscreen. Graphics are not at smooth. Falcon 4.0 needs a big update.

Now I have DCS A-10 warthhog installed and lockon flaming cliffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had falcon 4.0 installed buy since I have windows 8 installed it runs kinda crappy. No fullscreen. Graphics are not at smooth. Falcon 4.0 needs a big update.

Now I have DCS A-10 warthhog installed and lockon flaming cliffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here. I really liked falcon 4.0 especially the campaign play. I too have DCS but wish it had the same campaign play.

• 2 years later...
Guest ironroad

Hi,

Have you tried Falcon 4.0 BMS or Free Falcon? The makers of those mods did fiddle around with the source code, so it might run smoother on newer windows platforms.

• 9 months later...

Brand new to the Forum, can someone tell me some good Combat flight Sims for Windows 10 standalone computer... Satellite internet does not like internet gameplay...

I have CFS3 but can't get it to work... Also have F-16, Mig 29, and FSX which all work with Thrustmaster T flight Hotas X controller

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...