• X-Plane Oculus Rift Compatibility

    Laminar Research

    Laminar Research announces development of Oculus Rift compatibility

    Laminar Research, creators of the X-Plane flight simulator franchise, has begun development work on support for the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset. The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality display worn on the head and is one of the forerunners competing in this new mode of 3-D interactive gaming. The company, Oculus VR, has produced several prototypes over the past several years and the latest, called Crystal Cove, won "Best of CES" at the 2014 CES show in Los Angeles. The company has sold the first units as development kits, with Laminar Research being one of the early adopters working on supporting the technology.

    Once development is finished for X-Plane the Oculus Rift will work on all three X-Plane supported operating systems (Mac, Windows, and Linux) without any additional drivers. Just plug it in and start it up. X-Plane will then use stereoscopic 3-D rendering to display the images in the two Oculus Rift eye displays. What makes X-Plane support different is that many existing solutions for the Rift can only fake the stereoscopic effect without considering eye distance. X-Plane will also support positional head-tracking, allowing users to fully experience a 360 degree out-of-window environment, along with using head position to naturally scan the X-Plane virtual cockpit.

    Oculus VR has not announced a release date for the consumer version of the product but it is expected to be released sometime in late 2014. X-Plane support for the device is expected to be available at that time, with support for the developer version available sometime before the consumer version is released.

    About Laminar Research

    Laminar Research is creator of the X-Plane franchise of flight simulators, including X-Plane 10, the latest desktop version. X-Plane 10 is available in both a consumer version, as well as a FAA certified professional version. Laminar also offers X-Plane versions for both the iPhone and iPad, as well as other mobile systems.

    X-Plane's flight model, scope, versatility, customizability, and 3rd party add-ons make it the ultimate flight simulation experience for Macintosh, Windows, and Linux platforms.


    8 Comments
    1. alpilotx's Avatar
      alpilotx -
      Finally everybody can experience flying sickness at home
      But seriously, this is really good news!
    1. Jefreestyles's Avatar
      Jefreestyles -
      Good write up but there are a couple facts that are wrong. CES was in Las Vegas; not in Los Angeles. The Oculus Rift does not have two displays. There is one display that is split in half for each eye.

      Can't wait to fly with my Rift!
    1. raysot's Avatar
      raysot -
      Quote Originally Posted by alpilotx View Post
      Finally everybody can experience flying sickness at home
      But seriously, this is really good news!

      How, exactly, is this good news to the 99% of us that use X-Plane for what it is intended to be used for?

      Misplaced priorities....... Pet Projects, and no 'love' given to the simming community at large.

      C'mon Austin... enough with the pet projects...
    1. jarmsstrong's Avatar
      jarmsstrong -
      Quote Originally Posted by raysot View Post
      How, exactly, is this good news to the 99% of us that use X-Plane for what it is intended to be used for?

      Misplaced priorities....... Pet Projects, and no 'love' given to the simming community at large.

      C'mon Austin... enough with the pet projects...
      Although I applaud Austin (and whomever else) for the invention and ingenuity, I tend to agree with you. X-P-v10.25 has been out for awhile now and begs for updates that include seasons (with snow in the appropriate locations), improved weather (sky, clouds and weather conditions), improved trees and a number of terrain corrections. These are not "big" items and should be relatively easy to update...especially in the time frame since version 10.25 release. Get this "near perfect" sim platform "perfect" first, then on with the new toys.
    1. alpilotx's Avatar
      alpilotx -
      Quote Originally Posted by jarmsstrong View Post
      .... and begs for updates that include seasons (with snow in the appropriate locations), improved weather (sky, clouds and weather conditions), improved trees and a number of terrain corrections. These are not "big" items and should be relatively easy to update...especially in the time frame since version 10.25 release. Get this "near perfect" sim platform "perfect" first, then on with the new toys.
      If you think these are "not big items" then you maybe have the wrong conception about how all these works (from the technical, artistic, conceptual point of view) ... Because exactly the listed items are definitely not "small items".

      And by the way, some news on 10.30:
      http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/02/irons-in-the-fire/
    1. jarmsstrong's Avatar
      jarmsstrong -
      Thx, alpilotx. Definitely good news. Yes...I overstated the "not big items" a bit, perhaps. My point of reference was in relations to all that has already been accomplished in the sim. I'm definitely a fan of X-Plane and very anxious to see it improved in the ways mentioned. Cheers!
    1. clarksbrother's Avatar
      clarksbrother -
      Speaking as someone who flies planes (both real and simulated), I think that this is honestly one of the best investments of time that they can make. It will really bring the ability to have a fully immersive experience that only big and expensive simulators have been able to provide up until now. I know there are those (a couple examples above) who poo-poo the idea as a waste of resources, but I implore you guys to remember one of the cardinal rules of flying; look outside and up from your instruments. It's one of the most common mistakes new students make is to rely wholly and totally on the switches and dials and don't actually FLY THE PLANE! Having Rift integration will bring the most important aspect of being a good pilot and practicing good flying skills to life for the masses. Speaking for myself, I can't wait!
    1. clarksbrother's Avatar
      clarksbrother -
      Quote Originally Posted by jarmsstrong View Post
      Although I applaud Austin (and whomever else) for the invention and ingenuity, I tend to agree with you. X-P-v10.25 has been out for awhile now and begs for updates that include seasons (with snow in the appropriate locations), improved weather (sky, clouds and weather conditions), improved trees and a number of terrain corrections. These are not "big" items and should be relatively easy to update...especially in the time frame since version 10.25 release. Get this "near perfect" sim platform "perfect" first, then on with the new toys.
      Speaking as someone who is a computer programmer for a living, I can speak from experience when I say that what may seem like small changes on the surface, rarely are...ever... In a program this complex, I can almost guarantee you that the changes you reference are far from easy updates.
  • Recent Forum Activity

    DrawyahGames

    Does anybody remember the Altitude Concorde?

    Thread Starter: DrawyahGames

    Looking around at the different Concorde models out there for FS2004 and FSX, I've come across the Altitude Concorde which is something I have never...

    Last Post By: TightGit Today, 07:32 AM Go to last post
    jonmkj

    Myrtle Beach International Airport (KMYR) 2012 for FSX

    Thread Starter: jonmkj

    Coming very soon!

    Last Post By: acheter Today, 06:04 AM Go to last post
    fsrobert

    Dead Men Tell No Tales!

    Thread Starter: fsrobert

    Did a wonderful little flight from ”Wilson River Lodge” over to ”Badger Lake Cabins”... a fun challenging approach down to the small lake. Even...

    Last Post By: fsrobert Today, 03:57 AM Go to last post
    peer01

    DH-89 Air France Metz-Troyes (FSX)

    Thread Starter: peer01

    2 small GA fields in the Champagne region in Northern France and a good old DH-89 to fly in! From Metz-Dancourt to Troyes, I hope you like the pics....

    Last Post By: Macroburst Today, 01:50 AM Go to last post
    1biggles1

    The Natural World 2017 (TNW207) scenery

    Thread Starter: 1biggles1

    The Natural World 2017 (TNW207) scenery As part of the ever evolving TNW scenery I will be releasing the third and last update for my 2017...

    Last Post By: dljolly Today, 01:50 AM Go to last post