This aircraft does indeed have extensive systems modelled, as well as 2D panels, which I'm not sure how many of you out there still use. I do indeed find flying from the virtual cockpit more realistic than perhaps using a 2D panel, but I still stick to the 2D panels for things such as checklists, and the occasional flipping of a switch, as I find the knobs and switches in the VC hard to reach and see. Nevertheless, no matter what your style is, this VC will cater to you. Here are some screen shots:
Now for the complaints: I do find that CLS did not model all the systems correctly, and switches such as the master avionics switch are left out of the package. I also found that most of the gauges are inoperable, and serve as decoration only. The panels were also slightly compressed, and I feel that CLS should have better sized the panels. Nevertheless, the panels are of high quality, and what is modelled is done decently. However, there is a weird glitch in the VC if you turn on the panel lights during the day. I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but here is a screen shot:
I just used the A340 to illustrate the problem, but this problem also affects the A330 aircraft/model in this package. I guess that just about sums the review of the virtual cockpit up. I'll follow this with some specs from the product page, and I'll see you in the next part of the review!
- Eight distinct flight models - two for the A340 and six for the A330 covering different variants and engine configurations.
- Custom utility to allow switching between standard and easy flight models
- 150 detailed liveries spread over the different aircraft - fantastic value for money!
- F-Lite branding guarantees high quality and detail -animations range from thrust reversers and control surface droop to air stairs and pushback truck.
- Cockpit features include custom Airbus gauges, easy-to-use Airbus style MCDU/Autopilot, realistic EICAM displays, limited function FMC which allows for SIDs and STARs in the MSFS database, EFIS displays, realistic PFD with limited Airbus Laws Logic and Alpha Protection; overhead panel comes complete with switches for air-con packs, fuel pumps, engine fire and more.
- Comprehensive, detailed manual includes flight tutorial and all the information virtual pilots will need to begin long haul flying.
- General features:
- Highly detailed exterior models
- Interactive 3D Virtual cockpit
- 2D panel with custom gauges
- 150 liveries
- Comprehensive manual with tutorial flight
- Option for showing wings from the interior view (wing view)
- Pushback truck (can be switched on/off in FSX)
- Air stairs
- Dynamic wing flex
- Dynamic shine
- Realistic landing light bulb and housing illumination at night
- Every single static discharger is modelled
- Detailed flight deck when seen from the exterior
- Numerous animations - passenger and cargo doors, flaps, rudder, elevators, undercarriage, engine fans, thrust reversers; control surface droop when engines are not running, spoilers, flaperons
- Jet blast effect from engines
- Realistic thrust reverser animation
- Fully animated control surfaces
- Highly detailed texture mapping with no detrimental effect on frame rates
- High-quality sound set
- Rolls-Royce, Pratt & Whitney and General Electric engines modelled
- Layered paint kit included to help create your own liveries (suitable paint program such as Photoshop required)