PDA

View Full Version : How to Disable the Audible Overspeed Warning Horn?

bur54
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
How do You stop the Overspeed Warning Sound? The red Visual overspeed
warning flag in lower right corner I can live with, but the sound has
to go. I know in some acft you can open the aircraft.cfg file and change the "max indicated airspeed" to a higher number, but that does not work in a lot of payware acft. I'm particularly interested
in the 737 Pilot in Command and Capt Sim 707. There has got to be a
way. Thank you. bur54.

PPS
06-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I went into the sound files and typed DISABLED after the .wav. It worked for me :-)

Did the same thing to a few other annoying sounds I didnt need to hear also hehe

baddadnv
06-24-2006, 02:47 PM
>How do You stop the Overspeed Warning Sound?

Slow Down........... Fly the aircraft within the VMO's.

Randy Burton

bur54
06-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Thank You, PPS for your quick reply. That solution worked on some acft. Guess each acft is different. Glad you answered my question
politely and did not give me a snooty perfectionist answer. This is
a hobby not an occupation. I don't even know what VMO's are!
bur54

baddadnv
06-24-2006, 05:12 PM
> I don't even know what VMO's are!
>bur54

Yahoo Search > "Define V speeds"

Result > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_Speeds

about 1/4 the way down the page - VMO = vehicle maximum operating limit speed.

Press F10 once you have selected the aircraft your flying to find each aircraft's proceedure's.

PPS DID NOT give you the correct answer.- It may of been the answer you were looking for, but none the less, incorrect.

Randy Burton

bhk
06-24-2006, 08:56 PM
>PPS DID NOT give you the correct answer.- It may of been the
>answer you were looking for, but none the less, incorrect.

Wrong.
It was the correct answer because it was the answer that he was looking for in response to his particular question.

The answer that you gave would have been correct if his question had been phrased something like "Why does this annoying sound occur when I exceed the maximum speed setting and how can I stop it happening?"

baddadnv
06-24-2006, 09:14 PM
>The answer that you gave would have been correct if his
>question had been phrased something like "Why does this
>annoying sound occur when I exceed the maximum speed setting
>and how can I stop it happening?"

No, if his querry was worded the way YOU have it written, then my answer may have been mistaken to be meant as a ' snooty perfectionist answer ........... I wouldn't have even answered his question, if it were asked that way -

Randy Burton

alastairmonk
06-25-2006, 04:45 AM
In this case I agree with Randy. The Overspeed warnings are there for a reason, and the only sure way of preventing them going off is to fly within the set limits of the plane.

There have been instances where the limits set in the flight profile are too low, but that is specific to particular downloads. In most cases the limits set are accurate. Bear in mind that most published airspeeds tend to be True Air Speed and that Indicated Air Speeds can be significantly lower at altitude.

As a "ready reckoner" the following formula can be used:

TAS=((IASx0.02)xAlt/1000)+IAS

Thus at 30,000ft an IAS of 300kts equates to:

((300x0.02) x 30) + 300 = 480kts

Alastair

rhodges
06-25-2006, 09:17 AM
In some aircraft, you will find an overspeed sound gauge in the panel.cfg file. Simply rem that gauge.

Hope this helps.
RTH

pacallen
06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
This sim may better suit your needs:

http://www.gamesgnome.com/action/3dflight/

sandokan
06-26-2006, 05:45 AM
VMO = Velocity maximum operating
Sandokan

rookiesimpilot
06-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Well, I'll tell you what. Check out here:

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/corner9.htm

Just remember our hobby is what we make of it, and that the only expectations we must meet are our own, not those of anyone else.

Enjoy what you do, however you choose to do it. We're all here for one reason: The love of flight, simulated or otherwise. Pursue your hobby in any fashion you see fit, and the vast majority of us will cheer you on, regardless of how you choose to go from wheels up to wheels down!

Chip B.

jeffhunter
06-26-2006, 09:41 AM
If you've got "aircraft stress causes damage" checked, keep flying for a bit, the noise will soon stop - trust me. Might get a bit noisier for a short time after that though...

regards,

Jeff

UK_RON
06-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Well it would appear that my ghastly post about certain people and this forum all too common is coming true, WHY?

There are those too ignorant to appreciate a FLIGHT SIMULATOR and consider it a game and to them what is missing are the guns and bombs, to them TRY using Combat Flight Sim which does allow such things to take place. To those who consider it a game, simple answer READ the label on the BOX if you bought it as that saves an awful lot of pointless questions. To those who consider answers an affront to their intelligence because they DON'T understand it then please for all of us just go away as THAT attitude RUINS this forum and annoys the hell out of a greater number of us who consider this HOBBY more than a simple game and whilst we can enjoy it as a game WE ALSO have the right to consider it seriously just as you have the right to treat it with the disdain you continue to do. Don't like the answers THEN DON'T ask the questions, simple. IF you don't like a sound, turn the damn sound off, if you don't like a display turn the damn monitor off and when you have acheived that state we will all be happy because you can neither see anything or hear anything that annoys YOU and we don't have to read your aggravated (caused by ignorance) responses to those that consider help part of this forum activities, we don't need it. The answer provided was PERFECTLY VALID as a response to what appeared to be a reasonable request WHICH DID NOT in any way,shape or form show the level of intelligence (or lack of it) of the person asking the question and his UNWARRANTED attack on the responder shows that persons LACK of intelligence along with several others who are also using these forums to inflame and anger rather than for the legitimate purpose of soliciting genuine answers to genuine questions.

moth01
06-27-2006, 05:05 AM
>How do You stop the Overspeed Warning Sound?" (snip) "but the
>sound has
>to go. "

Many ways.But first, I am not trying to be a smart alec but try to think it out..

Do you want to fly "realistically", or "arcade style"?
Realistically, slow down until it goes off. Flying within the limits of the plane it will not be activated. That's why it is called an "Overspeed" warning. Simplest solution.

Otherwise get a set of earplugs, turn off the sound, wear some headphones with music, land the plane, remove the wav file. You want to fly at XXXMPH in a 737 to get somewhere fast, and not have the Overspeed warning go off, ain't gonna happen my friend. Sure, you can mess with the cfg file to set higher limits, why not set a high top speed and high power scaler. You get there in a couple of minutes. What's the hurry?

(Some planes DO need a slight adjustment of the cfg files to bring it closer to actual specs)

I am not trying to slam you,so relax. But I'm trying to help you see there are 2 basic ways to fly. Some like to set the AP on, and unlimited fuel and go 'round the world at maximum Sim Rate speed. Walk away for a while, and come back later to see the flight is done. What fun is that? Like someone reading a book for you.

> I'm
>particularly interested
>in the 737 Pilot in Command and Capt Sim 707. There has got
>to be a
>way.

There is always a way to change something but I still can't understand the reason you want to exceed the limits of the aircraft. Help us understand.
Why get a good payware plane, then mess with it to "fly faster than designed" ? Since these aircraft are designed to try and replicate actual flight situations, why change them? If you want to get somewhere fast, at least use the sim rate feature. This way, you can fly at 300kts but speed up the Time, not the plane.

Take care BUR, and whatever you do, good luck. :)
Gary

Kiwi_in_the_sky
06-29-2006, 06:34 AM
>This sim may better suit your needs:
>
>http://www.gamesgnome.com/action/3dflight/

Lol that games fun!

fycola
12-28-2010, 12:59 PM
hi all!
i found a sollution to your problem
just enter fsx then go settings > sound and uncheck the "cockpit sounds" box

opaplano
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
hi all!
i found a sollution to your problem
just enter fsx then go settings > sound and uncheck the "cockpit sounds" box

Only problem is that the OP is using FS2004 - not FSX.

Avechelice
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Hello,

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?70518-Re-%28Disable-Overspeed-Warning-Sound%29-Big-Misunderstanding.

Confusing isn't it ? :)

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/x0/biggrinsanta.gif

StringBean
12-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Confusing isn't it ? :)

I'm often confused when people drag up 4 year old topics for no obvious reason.

peace,
the Bean