PDA

View Full Version : AFCAD 2 Question

Adam2493
12-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Hello all,
I've recently been downloading some AFCAD files, but I have a problem with the number of gates most the files add. While some may be realistic (and others not) I simply don't have the CPU power for the amount of AI these extra gates add. I'm more interested in opening up multiple runways for use than adding gates, but most downloadable AFCAD files seem to focus only on gates. My question:
I'm trying to use AFCAD to open up multiple runways but haven't had any luck. At KDFW I've attempted to close rwys 35L and 35R for takeoffs and close rwys 36L and 36R for landings. When I start the sim, all AI flock to rwy 17 for departure AND arrivals. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time!

Qballbandit
12-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Adam,

I will give you some generic tips, but I bet Reggie Fields or another real super pro will also answer.
Number one, without doubt - read the entire documentation read-me file in AFCAD2.
Number two, unlike previous sims FS9 has a quirk (which I loathe) to still choose it's runways no matter what you do in AFCAD2, and even if the wind is blowing straight at your back. Of all the steps forward, this to me was one giant step backwards.
But, have you closed RW 17??? You should most likely try this: 36L closed for departures, open for arrivals - and 36R close for arrivals, and open for departures. Then 35R closed for arrivals, open for departures, and 35C closed for departures, open for arrivals. Make sure your winds are westerly.
For the norm, most large airports with parallel or multiple parallel runways use the inner for departures, and the outer for arrivals. KDFW is complex - but search the files library, as there may be a special AFCAD file to use that is designed to use multiple runways in various directions o be open for use (called the STAR method)

Hop ethis gets you started!

Neil :7

Adam2493
12-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely give it another shot with your advice in mind. Thanks again.
-adam