PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!! Simple question about re-install FS2004 and CTD

saturn05
01-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Hello Guys

A simple question about some CTD I'm experiencing and re-installing the sim.
Suddenly, without any apparent reason (no major software or add-on installed), once in a while FS2004 has some CTD when I try to access the "flying lesson" screen, or the "news" screen or the "select flight" screen from the main startup screen. (the "create a flight", "settings" and "multiplayer" screens seems "immune" from this)
So far is very minor (all I have to do is to re-launch the sim and likely the "offending" screen is available), I keep my fingers crossed, no CTD while flying.
Do you have any idea about the reason or reasons for this CTD only on the startup screen??? Anyone experienced something similar???
I have only one "suspicion", after this CTD sometimes the classic message (FS has encountered bla bla bla) shows up and it says "FS9 has encountered...." not FS9.1. Is that correct???
I have the patch installed from months now (with the "new" no-cd file with the 9.1 version on it and when I check the version in the "Help", "About FS2004" page it shows Version 9.1, the new bridges are there etc...) with no other problem whatsoever.
2 days ago I installed editvoicepack and after that I noticed this problem by chance (maybe was there before that) so I uninstalled it and I replaced the .GVP file with the original from the installation disc but this occasional CTD are still there.
If I have to reinstall FS, can you confirm that I can do it without wiping out all my add-ons??? So I just uninstall the patch and then FS2004 and all of the add-ons will still be in the hard drive??? So after that I reinstall FS2004 and the patch.
If you confrim that it will be an huge relief....I'm freaking out at the thought of uninstalling everything and then re-install.
Maybe it is one of the situation when FS need to be reistalled because something got somehow corrupted.
Thank you for your answers and Happy new year!!!!

saturn05
01-02-2005, 12:18 AM
I was flying and I needed to check something on the help system...at the opening screen of the learning center FS wento on CTD...It happened twice today...I'm afraid that reinstalling FS is not longer an option....any suggestion guys????
Thank you!!!

baddadnv
01-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi Domenico,

Soooo many things may cause a CTD?????

You may be running out of ram.....What are Your system specs?

Randy Burton

saturn05
01-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Sorry my system specs...

Dell Inspiron 8200 P4 2.4 GHz
1 GB RAM
64 MB Video Card (ATI Mobility Radeon)
80 GB HD 7200 rpm (70 % free space)

I use the default scenery and all my add-on are freeware (nothing really heavy) and so far they worked perfectly.
I get very good performance in FS2004 out of my comp so I do not think this CTD are causated from lack of resources.

NonCon
01-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Try reinstalling, or updating video card drivers.

KJ

Strider3
01-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Did you follow all the posted instructions for upgrading to FS9.1?

Seriously...every single step??

It's very important that ALL steps be followed, or all sorts of errors will result.

Don't "Freak out"...why is uninstalling FS9 freaking you out? You saved all your downloaded add-ons somewhere, right? (all those .ZIP's and .EXE's??). If so they are easily re-installed AFTER you get FS9.1 working.

It's probably time for a nice, clean, re-install anyway...with 9.1.

I'd suggest a complete removal of FS9:
First, remove "FS9", using the Contol Panel "Add/Remove software" option.

Then:

"Delete the main FS2004 folder and then do an edit of the registry to remove the single key that points to it, Use RegEdit (Start\Run\RegEdit) to find and delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Then go to My Documents and delete the Flight Simulator Files folder and, finally, go to Documents and Settings, find YourUserID\Application Data\Microsoft and delete the FS9 folder."

Then:
re-install FS9.0, from your disks.

Then:
Follow ALL instructions and READ EVERYTHING before doing an FS9.1 upgrade...once you have it....then do it.

Then:
Reinstall your add-ons from all those ZIP's and EXE's you have.

jimrandazzo
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I usually copy the Aircraft, Add On Scenery, effects, and Gauges folders and then just overwrite them after a re-install.

This usually works fine, and I remove the offending scenery or aircraft after overwriting the folders.

I also keep a backup of the FS9 folder taken when everything is working fine. This has bailed my ##### out when the re-install didn't fix the problem.

That time, I had installed and un-installed Mega Scenery New York, something many people have done, I hear, but that's another thread. After that my distant scenery was all sparkly.

I tried to get help but no one would comment, so I re-installed the app, and still had the same effect. I restored from the backup and everything is fine now. I don't pretend to understand, but it worked.

Luckily, the local computer game store will take old software in trade. I don't know how else I'm going to un-a** Mega Scenery New York.

Strider3
01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
LOL!

I've got to get off my ##### and burn all these add-ons to CD before something "fatal" happens here.

I've probably just "jinxed" myself.

Strider3
01-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Huh...a 4 letter word, spelled B, U, T, T is not allowed??

Me thinks the "filter" needs some tweakin'!

jimrandazzo
01-08-2005, 09:35 AM
I have never gotten B,U,T,T to go through. always comes out #####.
However, or should I say #####, it is a small matter. Dempending on your personal #####.