PDA

View Full Version : Flying with out power

Michael18m
12-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Last night I saw this show about a airliner plane that had a gas leak in the engine. During the flight both engine died in mid air... The pilot got the palne to plane. I think the airlines was Airtrans flying from Canada to UK... Is there a way to make a flight like it relly happen?

When the engine out off the plane lost power. The palne had a small back up... a small fan under that open and power the radio...

The show was called "Air Emergency - "Flying on Empty"

Its on again Dec23 on National Geographic channel

Michael18m
12-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Here is a link to it... I think it has a video also

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/programs/index.html

panda234
12-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Apparently the investigation put the blame squarely on the flight crew. If they had of known it was a fuel leak they could have dealt with it, but they did't follow proper procedures and carried on thinking there was something wrong with the fuel gauges. Meanwhile, they were spewing fuel out the back. An incredible job bringing it down once they were out of fuel, but they shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. According to the report...

The fan they're talking about is a ram air turbine. It's basically a fan that's drops down and when it turns it generates enough power to run the basic instruments. It's a bad day when you have to use it.

Don't know how you'd simulate this. Be kind of an eerie feeling sitting in a totally quiet cockpit with no instruments except for a few basic ones. At least you wouldn't have to worry about planning a go around....

ladamson
12-19-2004, 08:57 PM
>Don't know how you'd simulate this. Be kind of an eerie
>feeling sitting in a totally quiet cockpit with no
>instruments except for a few basic ones. At least you
>wouldn't have to worry about planning a go around....

Turn off everything, and use shift Z for altitude, heading, and airspeed. Not exact, but good enough! :D

spitfire222
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM
This sounds very much like the famous story of the "Gimli Glider"
Basically, an Air Canade 767 was loaded with inadequate fuel to make it to its destination (ground crews made mistakes with conversions, i.e. liters to pounds, etc)
About halfway into the flight, both engines flamed out due to fuel starvation. The good news was that the PIC was a certified glider pilot, and managed to glide the plane to an old, unused military base at Gimli
I higly recommned doing a search for this story, very interesting! :-)

Best regards,
Vincent
http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/411d634b01663419.jpg

panda234
12-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Vincent, and the copilot was an ex military pilot who had landed at gimli many times. Helps when you don't have charts.

That was blamed on the pilot too. The ground crew filled it up and gave the pilot a form telling him the right amount of fuel was in it. But they had put liters in and told the pilot it was gallons. Also, that aircraft had had problems with the fuel gauges recently so the pilot assumed they were acting up again when it didn't show what had been put in. Policy allowed him to take off with malfunctioning gauges because you can accurately estimate your usage if you know your starting amount, but of course that was wrong. Bottom line, and a lot of people including me disagree with this, is they say it was the pilots fault for taking off with insufficient fuel. The ground crew error together with company policy meant that he would have had to go out there on the wing with a dipstick to make sure he had enough.

EDIT: After the report came back with pilot error, the pilots--they were air canada--were invited to a jet fighter squadron base in the usa where they were given some kind of award. And presumably a few beers, hehe.

billg

flyerBoy
12-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Sounds like the Air transat a330 which landed on the island back in 2001. Crew did a great job, and i doubt many people could do that.

billtaz
12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
The Air Transat flight is the one profiled by the National Geographic show. It was also on about a week ago, and was pretty interesting. The Air Canada incident was made into a movie, I can't remember the title but a search at IMDB.com ought to find it. If you still have a copy of FS2K2 and the Wilco 767 PIC you can simulate fuel exhaustion, as it has a working ram air turbine.

Bill