PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking? Where to Start?

lmponte
11-08-2003, 08:38 AM
I figured out somewhere that my P4 2.4 with 533 MHz of FSB was being successfully overclocked to a stable 3.0-3.2 GHZ with stock cooling.

I wanted to try this out too. Where should I start? I know how to change the CPU clock speed in the BIOS, but is that the only thing I should change? What about voltage? When should I change it?

I remember one day I tried changing one of these settings and my system wouldn't boot up, I had to manually set the jumpers to reset the factory CMOS settings. What have I done wrong? Can It happen again?

Sorry if there are too many questions, but I am curious if I can step my P4 up a little more with stock cooling (i don't feel comfortable changing the cooling of the CPU)

Thanks

ponyboy
11-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Are you thinking of the newer P4 2.4c with 800MHz FSB? I know those you can OC pretty good with these but those numbers you mentioned seem pretty optimistic with your cpu.

In any case I would suggest typing in "overclocking" in Google and bring up some of the OC sites. They are very informative on the how to's. Second I would research your motherboard because even if your 2.4 is ripe for OC the MB may not be.

good luck...