PDA

View Full Version : Changing Weight and Balance in FS2004

polcat
10-02-2003, 03:44 PM
When I try to change the weight and balance in FS2004 on 3rd party aircraft, the program will close. Anyone know how to fix this?

wsieffert
10-03-2003, 01:15 PM
I placed a third party addon in fs2004 that had payload sections in the aircraft.cfg file and this feature worked when I adjusted the numbers without crashing. You might look at one of the default aircraft, i.e., B737-400 aircraft.cfg file for the setup MS uses for payload.

I would start by making sure a safe copy of the particular aircraft's *.air and aircraft.cfg file is made before editing the files. Next open the aircraft.cfg file, and either copy the sections from one of the default aircraft to your aircraft.cfg or manually enter the data. Just put in 3 or 4 entries. Make sure you account for the Max Gross Wt and empty Wt, i.e. - older versions had the payload in the empty weight vice having it in the station loads (had no station loads).

Once you have insert the 3 or 4 entries, start fs2004, and see if the entries show up in the WT/Balance area, and try changing them to see if it still quits.

W. Sieffert

Curtis
10-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I have experienced the very same thing with the SGA MD 90, after i chage the fuel and try to load the flight plan the game crashes but i realize if you wait until the plan has loaded, then you can go to "aircraft" and change the fuel & payload.

clynefan
10-03-2003, 02:46 PM
I was having this issue with the FFX DC-10, but I think it may have been my impatience. I was opening the fuel load screen, making my changes, quickly hitting okay, then quickly hitting the payload button, making adjustments, hitting okay, and then quickly hitting the okay button at the main fuel and payload screen, even though I was hearing the hard drive running. I think I was overloading my system resources. The last few times, I've waited until the drive stops running prior to clicking the next button, and it's not crashing on me anymore.

FITZY
10-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Were the default settings grossly overweight?

clynefan
10-03-2003, 07:03 PM
>Were the default settings grossly overweight?

I don't know if that was directed at me, but yes, the default's for the my DC-10 were about 60,000 pounds over the maximum take-off weight. It defaulted to a full load of fuel. I really don't fly very far; two hours max; so I've only monkeyed around with the cargo load out a very little bit. I typically just cut the fuel way back and even then, it's tough to get the bird off the ground, and I've slammed it into the runway several times on landing. Doesn't flare so well when so heavy.

rhodges
10-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Just lucky I guess. None of my birds have closed the program yet, but....

Some of the data (Max Gross, Empty Wt. Fuel load etc) come up as corrupt. The CG envelope also is a bit weird on some birds as well. Editing the weight and balance section of the aircraft.cfg file has worked for me so far.

If I may make a suggestion: The following sites give some pretty good aircraft data on a number of planes. Manufacturer's sites are also a help. Different lists do not necessarily agree with each other, but for that matter, neither do individual birds of the same feather either. The only way to be dogmatic would be with specific aircraft manuals. I usually enter the data from the following sites, and it has worked out well for me.

http://www.bh.com/companions/034074152X/appendices/data-a/default.htm

http://flyaow.com/planes.htm

Hope this helps someone.
RTH

CRJ700
10-03-2003, 10:33 PM
This crashing has happend to me too!!! MY question is this. When you change the load it shows a litte airplane with a cg envelope and a little cross hair or somthing somewhere on that little plane. IS THAT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF WHERE THE CG REALLY IS?????

wsieffert
10-04-2003, 01:09 PM
The symbol represents the calculated CG based on the aircraft empty_weight_CG_position= and empty_weight= entries listed in the aircraft.cfg. As you add and/or subtract different station loads, the CG is effected and the CG point will move.

Cessna uses the lower front edge of the firewall for their aircraft datum point. Microsoft, Aircraft Manufacturers, and other flight simulator designers may use different reference points for the aircraft datum point. FS9 C172SP uses:

reference_datum_position = 3.6, 0, 0 // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
empty_weight_CG_position = -3.0, 0, 0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum

It doesn't make any difference which datum point is used as long as all calculations are made from that point.

Your question, "IS THAT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF WHERE THE CG REALLY IS?????". Yes, that is where the CG is for the method FS9 uses to calculate the CG. Remember, each aircraft built has a different empty weight and empty_weight_CG_position. The manufacturer provides the information to the customer when they buy an aircraft so that the CG can be calculated for each flight. The question that is missing is, "What are the CG limits for the aircraft in question?". That data is also provided to the customer by the aircraft manufacturer. FS9 doesn't provide that information, at least not in a form visible in the aircraft.cfg file.

Importing aircraft from earlier versions of MSFS may result in some very interesting problems, especially if the designer tweaked some other parameters to make the aircraft fly in those sims.

Visit http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK00.asp and download the FSEdit_SDK.exe file for more information about the above.

W. Sieffert