PDA

View Full Version : It might seem a little odd........

johnclift
09-29-2003, 08:30 AM
But why not try flying like real commercial pilots do. That is, do the SAME route over and over and over again. Familiarity breeds a fuel efficiency and a smoothness that is most gratifying ! I do Leeds Bradford (LGNM) to Schiphol (EHAM) in the 737 in all sorts of weather day and night and with all sorts of loads time and time again. Each journey should take about an hour. It hasn't got boring yet ! Pick a route of your own and try it.
Does anyone else do this or is it just me ?

Captain_Slarty
09-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Different stroke for different folks dood..

I must admit that the thought of doing what you describe makes me want to go and take up 'cross stitch' or 'basket weaving'... but....I can accept that it may pull 'someones' chain.

Heck ;-), I can spend hours just doing touch and goes in the default, superb, 206 / r22 / cessnas at meigs and yet,.. another dood may find that too soul destroying to even contemplate :-lol...

if it makes you happy.. do it!!!... and then.. do it again. :-)

Joe.

skylab
09-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Ya.....here's one for ya!

In a DC-6: Chicago-Moline-Cedar Rapids-Des Moines-Omaha-Lincoln-Omaha-Des Moines-Cedar Rapids-Moline, Lay Over. Next day: Moline-Cedar Rapids-Des Moines-Omaha-Lincoln-Omaha-Des Moines-Cedar Rapids-Moline-Chicago.

Did that for real!! Lots o' fun. Mostly VFR @ 3000'. You could do it back then!

Have fun!

jhender501
09-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Right now I'm flying the Lear from point to point..just pick
a place to start (in this case in Nassau, The Bahamas) and go..
short flight to PBI, then to MDW..now to LGA..next? who knows?

I get an hour or so at a time to fly, so, short trips is what I do.
Enroute I'm learning more about the GPS.

Jim

budreiser
09-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Hmmmmm! Same thing over and over. Like being married.

kc10
09-29-2003, 03:51 PM
I do have one flight that i do a lot; KJAX to KFLL (and the return). It's the real world flight i take most, but in FS I get to do the driving. I agree with your point, sort of. I get nothing out of loading up an airliner and picking a destination on a whim. Totally unrealistic. When I start up FS and load my favorate FFX 737, I am no longer in my bedroom,on a computer,etc; I am in a 737,preflighting,and if my girlfriend comes into the room, I respond only to "Captain" :-lol
But no need to fly the same flight over and over. There are different types of routes that are assigned or bid on.

clynefan
09-29-2003, 04:12 PM
I used to fly for a virtual airlines, but it's been so long I can't even remember which airline it was. I was based out of KIAH, and hadn't put in my minimum hours to move out of the Saab 340B, so I was pretty limited in my flight choices. I chose the longest one to quickly add up my hours. I can't remember where my destination was, all I can remember was I flew the route out and back about 3 times before I was completely sick and tired of it. Just when I had almost enough hours to progress up to the CRJ, I quit the VA. I decided that in principal, a VA was a cool idea, but that I very quickly got tired of spending most of my limited FS time flying a route someone else gave me.

Now I tend to either mimic commercial flights I've taken in real life, or hop in the Lear and "commute" between two major cities, or just strike out VFR in any prop and see where it takes me. I've been slowly working my way from Denver - Centennial (KAPA) to Seattle using all sorts of planes in approx. 1 hour flights. So far I've made it to Pocatello, Idaho. I know it's not realistic to change planes on a cross country flight, but hey, that's whats cool about FS, I can do whatever the heck I want! :-)

MIKEYORCHIE
09-29-2003, 04:22 PM
I usually do Manchester to Birmingham.. ( easy )

Manchester - Belfast/Dublin ( easy/ medium )

and Manchester - Trondheim... ( quite hard with real weather.. )

Qballbandit
09-29-2003, 04:23 PM
When flying big iron, I fly AA or UA 757/767's...
I fly the real world U.S.A. flights and routes, at the real times (on the pc's clock anyway). Got about 35 routes I regularly fly. I try doing my best to fly with real weather conditions. I can fly the sids and stars with my eyes closed, but still no 2 flights are the same - weights/temps/winds all make the planning tweaks different, and weather can make for delays, holds, go 'rounds, and all the other suprises that make you a better pilot! It's pretty cool for me anyway. :7

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3f295fda5ad61e56.jpg

bjpilot
09-29-2003, 04:41 PM
I love VA flyiong, and since my favorite jet is the NWA 757-200, I usually end up doing the same flights. DTW-MSP, DTW-BOS, DTW-SEA, etc. Since I started flight training, (in real life) I learned a new respect for GA planes, so I can also spend hours doing touch and goes and cross countries in small singles and twins, especially the F1 C421. So I enjoy both worlds, I love flying for hours at FL370, and I love flying for hours at 4,500 feet. By the way Chris, you should check out simairline.net. Not only can you fly any plane you want with no hour requirement, you can also fly for any of our airlines. I don't want to sound like an ad, but if you like bush flying, you can fly around Alaska with Alaska Air, Horizon Air, Era, and Pennair. If you like Europe you can fly KLM, Virgin, Swissair or Sabena. If you like the US heavies you can fly Northwest, Delta, Continental, Alaskan, or Hawiian. Unlimited choices! Check it out!

clynefan
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Cool. Thanks Brandon, I'll definitely give it a look. From your description, it sounds good.

bjpilot
09-29-2003, 05:26 PM
You're welcome, I look forward to seeing you there! :)

ThatXrayGuy
09-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Well....I am a big Continental Airlines fan. I don't know why, I guess it's just the livery. I like to go to their website and see which flights are scheduled from my home airport of KAEX (Alexandria International).

For example....let's say I want to fly from KAEX to KKTN/PAKT (Ketchikan International). I would fly an ERJ-145 out of AEX to Continental's hub at KIAH. From there I would fly a 757-200 to KSEA then a 737-xxx to PAKT. As you can imagine MOST flights require an ERJ-145 (my favorite :) ) from AEX to IAH...thus I fly REPETITIVELY between AEX and IAH. Yes.....it does get boring...so it's nice when the weather throws me a surprise every now and then...lol.

Steve

bjpilot
09-29-2003, 08:57 PM
you should check out simairline.net too then, if you like Continental. Cheers!

ThatXrayGuy
09-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Cool !!....thanks bjpilot.

Steve