PDA

View Full Version : 'blurries' are intended .......... :-)

Captain_Slarty
09-02-2003, 09:52 AM
yes...

in rw flying, you dont get a perfect render.. set the weather to something approcahing norm for the vacinity... there ya go... ;-)

I lmao sometimes at people wanting a perfect vis to the horizon ... it's your sim.. if thats what you want.. kewl..

however, in real flying, life aint like that.

I wish some of the non-pilot blurry fanatics could go flying for real and see for themselves...

Long live the blurries...

:-lol

as real as it gets....

Haze is normal too.. (apart from on some ATI cards lol)

chasw
09-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Yes, I agree. I also think the new autogen objects are actually TOO sharp in most views, trying the lower resolution replacements improved the sense of realsim and perspective, as well as frame rates.

I was looking up at some real cloud formations the other day, with their flat undersides, 2-dimensional appearance and blue-tinged edges, thinking to myself that the `perfectionists` in this forum and elsewhere would never find such images acceptable in their flight sim.

Chas

Bigshot
09-02-2003, 11:34 AM
You guys must live in or near a smog filled city or go flying on hazy humid days. Up here in the North Country, I can see as far as I want. All the way to the horizon and then some. There are days when the air is hazy do to humidity. There are many more days when the air is crystal clear as far as you can see. I set my visibility at 90 miles. Good compromise and looks realistic to me where I live. Cloud coverage is maxed with density on high. That's the way is looks most of the time Up here in the North County.

PS: I'm near sighted. It's blurry and hazy and fuzzy without my glasses. Once I put them on everything is crystal. Including the ground objects. It's amazing. One of the best things I seen was just how much color there was. The blues were bluer, the greens were greener, the reds were better, etc., etc., I could see the individual leaves on the trees. I wear my glasses all the time now cause I prefer sharp, clean, crisp, clear images when I look. Didn't even realize just how bad my vision was till I bought a pair of glasses. Most folks don't till they try it.

There's only been one other time I've had an experience like that. That was when I first run FSim on my Radeon Card. The first thing I blurted out was, woow! "This is just like when I got my new glasses. Holy _______"!!!

PC509
09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Same with where I live, the Columbia River Gorge. You can see a lot farther that most places, crystal clear. Most days, that is. But, I do set my visibility to 50 miles, and let the haze set in most of the time, as that is the way it looks around cities (sometimes worse!), and with all the brush fires around here this time of year.

Blurries aren't what makes it realistic, it's the haze for me. The blurries are the pain in the #####. With higher resolution textures, that should be fixed. BUT, I doubt I'd be able to run it with my 2.4Gz P4 then. But, I'm not bitching, it looks great to me! There can always be something better added, even if it was photo quality, which sometimes it is! I WANT MY HOLODECK! :)

bilbo
09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
I aslo argee. My area (Midwest US) is usually pretty hazy at this time of the year and you probably wouldn't want it too sharp.
Some of the autogen appears too sharp and the textures seem to dance if I set the Mip Mapping quality too high. I had it previously at 4 but things appear a bit too blurry on the autogen tree texture details. They look like green cotton balls. Currently with my system, I am using 5 on this slider. As it is always a compromise between detail and FPS.
Bilbo

draky
09-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Hey sclincoln - try that approach with bigshot's glasses!

I tend to agree the blurries do get annoying especially close to the a/c location. I managed to get good improvements though with messing about for ages with the video card and the sim display settings - don't ask which did the trick as I also made some changes to the FS9.cfg file - too many to remember but I now have a pretty reasonable display on a middle of the road system.

chasw
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Something way wrong there I'd say. Have you got the textures set to `massive` and the aircraft textures to `high`?
With a 9700 card you should have pinsharp clarity if wanted.

Chas

Bigshot
09-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Northern Michigan. Tip of the little finger for those in the know. First question when I see your picture is:
Did you set up you control panel with at least 4xAA & 16xAF maxing out everything else except Truform to off? I run performance AF at 16x because it takes care of that last little bit of noise in the textures.

Max out your terrain texture size.
Set your Terrain mesh slider at about 90 percent.
Max out your land and water slider.
Leave the water slider either off or low where it defaults.
Max out you Scenery Complexity slider (real important if you want clean textures).
Max your autogen or set it at very dense if you've renamed that defaultXML file in the autogen folder; otherwise set it on dense.
Check all the boxes in the sims settings/display except AA. Leave that unchecked. You can leave the ground shadows off if you like.
Max out the aircraft stuff and make sure all the boxes are checked.
Max out all effects sliders and lights slider.
Max out everything under the hardware tab except the mipmap slider. Leave that on 4. Max out that global texture quality slider. Make sure you set trilinear filtering.
Make sure you're running the latest video card drivers. I like the latest omega drivers.
Try running without any AI at first.
Run at 1600x1200x32 if you can and lock framerate at 30.
Do a search under HT or hyperthreading over at avsim. Nice discussion about problems with that over there.
Monitor refresh rate should be run around 85hz if that's possible. Too high a refresh rate can cause troubles with an ATI card. Too low can cause flickering.
You should be seeing a really nice picture quality with nice framerates. If not, you got something hosed in your system. Best advice when troubleshooting an ATI card is three basic steps:
1)under the smartgart tab in your ATI Control Panel, turn off fastwrites 2) set AGP at 4xAGP 3) set the aperture at 64. And make sure all the Nvidid drivers are gone if you had an Nvidia card on that rig.

lifejogger
09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
>Haze is normal too.. (apart from on some ATI cards lol)

Hey Cap'n, I resemble that statement.....

sfgiants
09-02-2003, 04:43 PM
so.....in real ife when you are flying, perfect squares become sharper and sharper?

My issue with blurries is with the fact that the blurriness are in bunches of squares and change dynamically.
tim

sclincoln
09-02-2003, 09:56 PM
I did manage to fix the problem by tinkering with all the Display settings. Not sure which one did the trick, my eyes were getting a case of the blurries after staying up staring at the screen for so long.

usa320
09-02-2003, 11:02 PM
I agree, the horizon ought to be blurry. I thought the horizon in FS2k2 was WAY to sharp.

lplus11
09-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Hey Capn',

I have to agree... sharp terrain textures beyond 10-15 NM would be a joke and completely unrealistic. I was flying my real world PA-28 Warrior II this morning in Knoxville, TN, and the flight vis was about 3.5 to 4 miles in haze (very hot and humid here this time of year!) with beautifully clear skies overhead... but I have also done much real-world flying in the Western US (Colorado, New Mexico, Utah) and you can regualarly get 50 mile visibility days out there!

I remember when the fuel farm exploded at the old Denver Stapleton Airport (1991 I believe?)... I was flying back to Denver from Illinois, and I could clearly see the fuel farm fires from over 200 miles away.

However, when people are mentioning "blurries", I think they are referring to the sharp and noticeable demarcation line between clear ground textures and blurry textures in a well-defined radius around the aircraft. I used to think this was tied to the (TERRAIN) section of the FSx.cfg file with the DEFAULT_RADIUS and EXTENDED_RADIUS entries, but changing just those entries did not fix the blurries on my machine... I have to run with AA 4x and AF 8x in the nVIDIA control panel to get clean textures that blend seamlessly with the extended textures from approx. 10 miles to infinity... then I will set flight visibility to 20 miles or so.

Here's the (TERRAIN) entries in my FS9.cfg:

(TERRAIN)
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=60.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1

My machine specs are: P4 2.53, nVIDIA Ti 4600 128 MB, 1 GB RAM, WIN XP Home, DX 9.0b, AA 4x and AF 8x in nVIDIA panel. FS settings: 1280x1024x32, Render to Texture, T & L, Tri-linear filtering, mip map quality= 4, global max texture size= massive.

Another guy said these settings helped him, and he had an ATI card, but I can only say these setting helped on my machine... I had the sharp demarcation line between clear and blurry ground textures until I tried these settings. Note: turning on AA and AF in nVIDIA will most definitely affect frame rates!

Hope this helps some.

John.

ajmitch
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
150feet AMSL and this is pretty clear.
The blur on the skyline is Calais - just about 22 miles away. It's not always this clear, mostly there is a horrid orange/brown haze that hangs over the water. At other times, through the binoculars, you can see vehicles and boats at the other side.

sclincoln
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I realize that some haze and blurriness is expected but what I'm getting is ridiculous. I've attached an example. This happens right up to the runway in clear weather with any plane. Runway lights and taxiway signs are really blurry.

I also seem to be getting some "haze" in the cockpit. This only happens with DF Archer in VC view. Any ideas on this?

BTW, P4 3.0 800MHz FSB
Radeon 9700 Pro
2x512MB Crucial PC3200

P.S. Bigshot, are you referring to NNY when you say North Country and if so, where?