PDA

View Full Version : A bug is a bug is a bug.

flyinggriffin
08-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Quite often you will see posts where someone says they have a problem. Sometimes everyone does, sometimes just some people. Then you hear this awful cry BUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Now, often times with some detective work, when its just some people having problems it can be traced to a source other than the actual program. Still you get some people that insist that its a BUG!

Okay, I put it to you people a lot of you who are more computer knowledgable than I am this question. What is a bug? Is it considered a bug when it only troubles a small minority or even just part of the groups? Is it the programers responsibility to imagine and test for problems in EVERY possible combination of hardware from bleeding edge technology to the digital equivlent of stone knives and bearskins.

747drvr
08-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey, cam fs9 simulate random earthquakes?

melendir
08-17-2003, 04:54 PM
If the problem can be get over with drivers and software configurations, then it's not a bug, it's an un-tweaked system.

Just an opinion :-)

jmagyar
08-17-2003, 07:47 PM
I would say a bug is something like the incorrect terain levels. Those 10,000 foot creators in MO and other places. Things that the programers entered in error and did not catch before release. I thought I found a bug...with the weather theme. But it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt that I was just an idiot and did not understand why and how reflections on water were handled.

James

mavrocket
08-17-2003, 09:08 PM
As a very un-professional, non-technical, likes to sound like he knows what he's talking about kind of guy, I would say a bug is a bug is a bug...wait didn't I read that earlier?

I'd say a bug is ANYTHING that requires a patch from the game company to correct. It is NOT a bug if an updated driver will fix it...

Example, the terrain mishaps, surely a bug. The ATI vid card problem(please ATI release a new driver!!! I can't take windowed mode anymore!), is a user by user problem.

I'm narrowing it down into these two simple formulas:

Patch = Bug
Driver = Non-bug*

*However! Most of these driver problems are Microsoft's fault, due to the fact they couldn't take enough time to make sure the game worked on EVERYONE'S darned computer! Take a shortcut and make someone else fix it, ah, gotta love Big Business!

But then again, this is just my opinion...

Take it easy, and if it's easy take it twice...

sharpeassoc
08-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Generally any glitch is called a bug when it's happening to you. Further examination usually locates the bug (usually sitting in front of the monitor).

Don