PDA

View Full Version : How to add reverse?

Flydoc2329
08-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Some jets (Bae 146) do not have reverse as opposed to B737. In the same area, some twin engines such as the Baron do not have a "reverse equivalent" like the King Air.
Is it possible to add this feature (in which file?) for a plane?
Thanks

J-Louis
18 miles NE of KIAD

goose55
08-16-2003, 02:59 PM
hmmm.. not sure how to do that, but just out of curiosity, why would you want to add reversers to those aircraft? They can land in very short distances.

Braced
08-16-2003, 03:45 PM
The BAe-146 has no reversers. It stops in a very short distance for a jet thanks to massive wheel & speed brakes.

To add reverse to a jet you just have to open the air file and modify the reverse numbers. I would guess the 146 is at zero by default.

The jets and turboprops are the only planes that will support reversers. The piston planes won't accept it. I wish MS would alter this so we could add reverse to the Dc-6's!

Anyway, hope this helps.

SB

zfehr
08-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Regarding adding reverse to piston multi-engine, it would take modifiying the .air file so that the propeller control would allow for a reverse pitch (out of my capabilities). There are some turboprops that have had some of these modifications done allowing for at least a "beta" position when the throttles are brought back to idle. I would encourage some of the programmers reading this to tackle it though.

The Baron, as well as all other light/medium piston twins to my knowlege, have never had a reverse thrust available. It would cause a great deal of stress to the airframe, propeller and engine, you would have to make an even heavier aircraft, thus losing available payload (usually already limited with full fuel), and horrible engine out performance (the reason you would own a twin in the first place!).

Zane

Flydoc2329
08-16-2003, 03:58 PM
THanks to both:
Goose 55, I liked to add reverse just because... I like the feel of the reverse roaring upon touchdown:-jumpy
SB: I just wanted to add the KIng Air possibilities to the Baron. I believe the King can achieve some air braking by tilting the blades of the propellers, thus the "reverse like effect".
Thanks for your input

J-Louis