PDA

View Full Version : I Just Love The J-3, Check Out These Scrn. Shots!

PiperCubPilot
08-14-2003, 03:48 AM
Hey I was just messin around Seattle and decided to go for a building, I found a perfect long one in the North city and came in almost at a full-stall configuration and planted on all 3 with the brakes locked, she set down like a champ, just something fun to try to test out your slow flying skills!

Real pilots drag their tails

-Travis

DougKYIP
08-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Did you say you had the brakes locked when you touched down?
If it is ABSOLUTELY nessessary to stop right now in a cub I would not land with the brakes locked, I've never landed with brakes locked at all but I have in the dirt hit one brake real hard and released it and hit the oppisite brake real hard and released it and repeated this untill I got it stopped, but I can't understand how you landed with the brakes locked and didn't put the Cub on it's nose.

elcamino
08-14-2003, 05:23 AM
I was a blacksheeper from December 1975-june 1977 at El Toro.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3f3b54282550cb70.jpg
Deployed to Elmandorf Alaska.
I also have the real "Pappy Boyington's" autograph
in my Vma-214 photo album.
(Waiting for a ride)

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=view_attachment&file=3f1d17ef117e6650.jpg
Are We Having Fun Yet! & Happy Simming.
pSsT! Never Skydive from your flight simulator!

DougKYIP
08-14-2003, 05:37 AM
Semper Fi
I wasn't fortunate enough to meet Pappy, but VMA 214 in Yuma, AZ has a room full of pictures I was able to see while I was in the Corps.

I like the Skyhawk picture, that's the first one I remember seeing with a Blacksheep on it, they were all Harriers by the time I got to Yuma.

PiperCubPilot
08-14-2003, 12:45 PM
I have a Force Feedback 2 Joy, I dont have rudder pedels yet, but I know some aircraft are sensitive to locking up the brakes, it just happened that the J-3 let me do it brakes locked with some up elevator kept it steady.

-Travis

faamecanic
08-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Now why am I not surprised that Jerry was a Black Sheep :-) You rebel you!

That must have been GREAT to meet the real "Pappy".....

PS... how did you like Elmendorf?? I may be heading out that way in a year or two with Boeing and the C-17...

NightEye
08-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Locking up the brakes on landing in a real airplane will burn off a good chunk of rubber on the tires, and even blow the tire (I've seen this happen). My instructor used to always make that the heel of my foot was on the cabin floor to ensure I was not touching the brakes on landing.

lnuss
08-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Locking up the brakes on landing in a real airplane will burn off a good chunk of rubber on the tires

And in many taildraggers it will flop you onto your nose or over on your back. That may be one reason why Cubs (and Super Cubs) originally had such weak brakes. Some folks have replaced the originals with Cleveland brakes -- and they WILL flop you over, if you get too enthusiastic about using them.

elcamino
08-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Yuma was my first duty station. April 1970 - August 1973.
Was attached to VMT-103 (Decommissioned) and VMAT-102.
Lived down on Avenue B & Forth Street. That was back before the mall and the
gathering place was an A&W. No mcdonalds, bk etc.
The foothills was the world's largest motorcross track. You could motorcross for miles and miles of nothing.
Now it's rv parks and golf courses. It used to be a nice little town before it grew up.

When I first joined VMA-214 in El Toro, the CO had just returned from Hollywood.
He flew as a Japanese pilot in the movie Tora Tora Tora.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=view_attachment&file=3f1d17ef117e6650.jpg

elcamino
08-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Had a great time in Alaska. You'd come out of a bar at 3am and it's full daylight. Lots of scenery and wildlife.
Anchorage is a lively city. The Anchorge airport used to have two huge bears (stuffed) in the terminal. I do not know if they are still there or not.
Last time I was up there I ron with a c-130. Next morning it was sweep
three feet of snow off the top of the plane.
A mite chilly preflight...

PiperCubPilot
08-14-2003, 11:19 PM
I realize that Larry, I have a Super Cub and we land off runway 90% of the time, Ive got Cleveland whls./brakes and land all of the time on sandbars and such with the brakes locked, yes on concrete with freshly bled brakes it would probably nose over but when you are in grass or sand, stall configuration or just landing on the mains with the brakes locked is just fine, tires just slide. Ive blown one tire in my life and that was just from a bad judgement call on the rocks, I brought it down in a river bed after a pass and put her down, hit a big rock and blew one of my pretty goodyears, but my dad and I stuffed it full of a couple rags and a sweat shirt and that was enough to get her goin again.

-Travis

lnuss
08-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Of course you're right, Travis, that on sand, grass, etc. it is a different story. There's plenty of slippage to give leeway. But when locking brakes burns rubber off the tires, as in the post to which I replied, it's on concrete or asphalt. Grass is best, anyway.