PDA

View Full Version : KORD, not again...

Leo112
06-27-2003, 11:40 AM
I've been talking back and forth with Wolfgang Schwarz from Simflyers about developers choices in airport scenery. After reviewing Simflyerís site it looks like yet another KORD is in the works. I can't understand why developers would keep doing the same airports... Canada for example has really been neglected in the past except for the latest Toronto offering, Iím not a big fan of the last Montreal scenery that was released (Montreal and Vancouver's international airport need that true professional touch). Mexico City is another airport that would be good to do as well. Realizing the fact that these two countries border the United States, it would be nice to have detailed airports in them since there are so few major cities in both countries. You could fly from a major detailed US airport to one of these countries and have awesome detail when you arrive. Wish I could design scenery because there are so many options out there I would stay away from projects that have already been done by Microsoft or others. O.K. let's keep it in the States, KMSP, KSAN, KDTW, and KSTL are major airports that at this point would be awesome if done right. I don't know guys but I'm just writing this to hear what others have to say and I am in no way telling anyone what to design. I just feel itís a shame with FS2004 around the corner, someone is walking around the same block again.

It almost seems since one developer has already done KORD, another developer has a wealth of material from that project alone so that cut's back on his/her research time. They can go and find little things that were left out in the already released version and market those small updates as a better package... Example is, "Wilco forgot the FEDEX ramp but we here at Simflyers offer much more little details so you'll find FEDEX and UPS ramps in our scenery". That scenario makes the most since why developers would rally around designing the same air fields. I for one know it's not impossible to find information and/or documentation for airports like KMSP, KDTW, KPIT, and the list goes on....

I guess it's best to speak up and hope developers like Simflyers reads this, right, I donít know. If enough people show disapproval maybe time spent on airports that have been done into the ground like KORD, could be redirected to projects like KSAN, KMSP, KSTL, Montreal, Vancouver, Portland, and/or an airport near you.....

The_Association
06-27-2003, 01:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-03 AT 12:12PM (EDT)[p]KDTW looks great to me after adding Paul Mainville's (I think it's his) freeware scenery from Flightsim.com

Sure, I'd love it if Simflyers' would make a KDTW just for the Service Armada and Active Jetway features, but I'm not overly concerned about it. Like I said, a little freeware scenery and KDTW looks good to me.

As far as other scenery, yes there are some airports that really do need work. Hopefully, Simflyers' will get around to doing them.

Tim Kotula
KDTW/KPTK/KPLN

**New System Specs Coming Soon**

Proud to be 100% modern music free since 1994

Qballbandit
06-27-2003, 01:18 PM
I understand your point perfectly. However, and this just my personal opinion, Simflyers makes pretty much the best scenery around for international airports. The are other well done (flytampa comes to mind) sceneries out there, but Simflyers gets it right when they tackle each field. Even though there have been many KORD's - both payware and freeware - none have been the quality of Simflyers sceneries, and there have been inadequacies in most i've seen over the years. So I am happy they are doing KORD - to do it right. Then after it is released, there really would be no need to see it again.
Ya have to remember, KORD is the busiest airport in the world (by aircraft movements, ATL by people, right??), so when you're number one, you get alot of attention. Not that I'm biased or anything, heh heh, but I've also lived within 10 miles of it my whole life and know it backwards and forwards :7...
But, yes again I agree - there are so many nice airports still that need attention, and it would be a dream to see them all done by Simflyers in future FS releases, right???
See ya!! :7

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3eb96ffe4925c9c5.jpg

The_Association
06-27-2003, 01:32 PM
I thought O'Hare took both of those 'busiest' titles back? Both passenger volume and takeoffs/landings.

Tim Kotula
KDTW/KPTK/KPLN

kolkol
06-27-2003, 03:42 PM
i agree, Canada has some of the nicest and fastest growing airports anywhere, and if you disagree well sir you've never been to Vancouver. IATA just released a survey asking passengers what airport in North America they felt was the best. Guess who came on top, CYVR. I feel this survey does a lot more then numbers and statistics. Just because a lot of people use KORD or EGLL doesn't neccesarily mean they're great airports. A good airport is one passengers are excited to come to and one passengers vote the best. So I agree with Leo, we need a variety of airports from Simflyers, not just the American ones, but thats just my two cents.

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ef542b6033e8056.jpg
Just Chillin In North Vancouver

The_Association
06-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Now there's something I can agree with.

Vancouver Intl. is really the model airport of the future. Lots of glass and well placed walkways and walls spread everyone out and make you feel like your the only one in the airport. There's plenty of move to move around. All kinds of nice indoor waterfalls and fountains. It's an airport I really didn't want to leave!

It would be awesome if Simflyers' would make CYVR. I'd be one of the first in line and I'm not even from Canada. :D

Tim Kotula
KDTW/KPTK/KPLN

Qballbandit
06-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Yes, I have to say I am with you on YVR..it is an outstanding airport. And Mathew, yep - you are right about your comment about people liking an airport is what makes it good. I guess that's why Singapore is up there in the "love it" count. Not only the airline, but the home airport is immaculate, well done aestetically, well managed, etc...Hey speaking of CYVR, when I get home from work, I have to fly my UA 757 back to KORD from there! :7

Tim, explain the "modern music free" thing if you may, and did you change your user name?? :7

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3eb96ffe4925c9c5.jpg

kolkol
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Tim you'd be second in line, i'd beat ya to it!

http://www.flightsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ef542b6033e8056.jpg
Just Chillin In North Vancouver