PDA

View Full Version : Task Switching (Alt-Tab) makes my cockpit lock

SmokeyTires
02-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem...When I use Alt-Tab to "task switch" out of FS2k2 (for example to run ActiveSky or RWControl for VATSIM, or even to check email), and then use Alt-Tab to return to FS2k2, my cockpit view is locked, and the graphics are scrambled up. The plane is still flying, as indicated by the cockpit instruments that still work. I can exit the flight, create a new flight, change planes, change locations, and the locked and scrambled cockpit view will persist. It stays this way until I exit FS2k2 and restart.

Obviously, the problem is that programs like RWControl and Activesky require FS2k2 to be running while they operate, or require a task-switch during their operation. So, I can't just load everything I need before I launch Fs2k2. Until this is fixed I can't use any of my neat toys and tools (I LOVE ActiveSky) while I fly.

I think this all started right around when I upgraded to DirectX 9.0. Has anyone else experience this or a similar issue? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks!!
-Smokey

SmokeyTires
02-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Update:

I've determined, after some experimenting, that Task switching does not cause any problems when "Hardware Acceleration" is turned off (thereby placing FS2k2 in a "Safe Mode"). However, when "Hardware Acceleration" is turned on, task switching always results in a garbled cockpit view.

I've updated to the latest Nvidia drivers (for my Ti4600) from Microsoft's Windows Update page. And that didn't help.

However, I have also determined that I can "fix" the problem when it occurs by disabling Hardware Accel (going into Safe Mode) and then re-enabling it. This sucks, especially if I'm logging into a "formal" VATSIM flight. But, it's better than nothing for now.

If anyone has any other advice I'm all ears. Thanks!

iandavid
02-16-2003, 09:29 PM
I have a similar problem and have found this way round it.

When you return to FS full screen with the graphics screwed up press alt+enter to go to window mode (on mine the window is very small) then alt+enter again and its all back to full screen mode and perfect.

This started with me after I installed SP1 for winXP. Have decided to put up with it and wait for FS2k4 in July.

Dell 2gig P4
512 ram
GF4 ti4600 40.72 drivers
Win XP home SP1.

SmokeyTires
02-16-2003, 10:20 PM
This works great! Thanks! I would have never thought of docking/undocking the panel. Brilliant!

Now if we could just have a PREVENTATIVE fix, such as drivers that like to work together, then we'd be in business. As you said, hopefully FS2k4 can handle it. I don't have this problem with any other game.

Thanks again!